Parabolic antenna carrying a shorter distance than stock antenna?

Reaction score
I have tested many times. Under same conditions flying my p3s with a clear line of sight, parabolic antenna went shorter than stock antenna. How can that be? Parabolic antenna went out for 3200 ft., while stock antenna went 3500 ft? Flights all done on 150 or 180 ft. altitude. In short the use of Parabolic antenna is shorter by about 300 ft.

I have two parabolic antennas (copper and aluminum) made by Skyreat (copper), and the other was a $5.00 cheapo (aluminum). Both yielded identical results. I have also pointed directly to the drone (or tried real hard to accomplish that). I appreciate all responses in advance.

K

Last edited:
The reflector must be a true/proper parabola for the given size.
It also has a focal point.

It is possible that one or both of these may be incorrect or the antenna cannot be properly located due to manufacture.

I unfortunately cannot provide you with any specific dimensions to measure as there are many type of these sold.

I just added more facts to OP. My antenna was made by Skyreat, also second one was a cheapo. Thought about manufacturer issues when I got weird results, and went to buy a second antenna to verify. Both ways yielded shorter distance with Parabolic extender.

I can confirm you findings, there are a couple of things you need to look at.
1. The Focal length of the Parabolic makes them directional, that is how they get their gain. The positioning of the Emitter (or driven element, your stock antennas) determines the beam width. I have checked a couple and they are all about the same around 160 degrees to 180 degrees. Having said that I doubt if this is the problem. Your transmitter can only put out so much power. With the stock antennas the power is spread in 360 degree pattern that looks about like a doughnut. The windsurfers cut the donut in half and and points the power away from the transmitter. Not always toward the aircraft, depending on how you are holding the controller.
2. Because of one above the direction you point the antenna is critical. Unless you tilt your controller and aim the antenna at the drone you will experience the reduced range. This is one of the reasons that the flat panel antennas work so well, they typically have a mount that allows them tilt up when the controller is in normal operating position.
3. I have tried both copper and aluminum both work fine. I prefer the copper ones that have a copper sheet about .010" or better just because of looks and it holds up better then one that us adhesive tape.

What signal are you losing, video downlink or RC control?

I did aimed my parabolic antenna and tilted it to the direction of the bird with line of sight. That's why this is so puzzling.

R/C signal lost at 3,500 expected. what is not expected is the use Parabolic extender only lasted to 3,200 ft.

I own something silimar but I don't use it because, although it could be providing gain to the 5.8Ghz antenna, the reflector may be partially blocking the two internal 2.4Ghz antennas.

At that distance a small variance from almost dead on positioning of the antenna would result in a large signal dropoff.

I own something silimar but I don't use it because, although it could be providing gain to the 5.8Ghz antenna, the reflector may be partially blocking the two internal 2.4Ghz antennas.
That's the point I was trying to get at. I had the same exact experience.. That's why I ask the question, which signal are you losing, the video or control?

Last edited:
Makes sense, more than 3000 ft. away, it was hard to precisely aim and tilt controller towards the bird.....

The screen says "disconnected" while everything say n/a (such as distance). I assume that means R/C control signal is disconnected. I don't think I have encountered where there is video signal, at the same no control signal....may be I haven't read it technical enough.

The screen says "disconnected". I assume that means R/C control signal is disconnected.
The screen says "disconnected". I assume that means R/C control signal is disconnected. I never had a situation where there is video signal, at the same no control signal....
i
That's the point I was trying to get at. I had the same exact experience.. That's why I ask the question, which signal are you losing, the video or control?

My P3Standard went from 600m to 1300m with cheapo aluminium reflecter same location consistedly . Now leave it on .

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The screen says "disconnected" while everything say n/a (such as distance). I assume that means R/C control signal is disconnected. I don't think I have encountered where there is video signal, at the same no control signal....may be I haven't read it technical enough.
Don't remember mine every saying "disconnected". (on Android). It's always either "Weak Image Transmission" or "RC signal weak" or "No signal" If it is the Control signal you're dropping, your drone would be going into failsafe mode and start the "return to home".

"no signal" was definitely as a eventually result without any data showing on screen, all parameters (altitude, distance) were "n/a". Followed by "return home" prompt.

"weak signal", or "weak r/c transmission" was there before "no signal" eventually showed up.

If you lose telemetry and/or FPV, that's most certainly the 2.4Ghz downlink that lost connection. If you still get video and/or telemetry but the aircraft went to failsafe RTH, the aircraft has lost the 5.8Ghz uplink/control signal.

I lost the control signal. Affirmative. What does it say about losing the 5.8 ghz link in conjunction w/ my parabolic antenna? Controller aiming wasn't precise enough?

Do you have a different reflector for the 5.8 ghz than the 2.4 ghz? I doubt they will interchange due to the frequency difference.
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj