Parabolic antenna boosters: worth it?

They work quite well.

Reports are good.

It does 2 things.. redirects all the control and video signals and it blocks the phones wifi and signal that may impair range by flooding the channels. Some have reported triple the range.

I got mine 2 days ago and maybe because I'm in a heav residential area it works ok. I think if I got more altitude and straight line of sight it would help.

I was using it this afternoon and was past where I normally have signal issues and was getting good readings. But then out of nowhere, I did not turn away from the direction of the phantom, the signal dropped right off. When the signal came back after 5 seconds it was already climbing in RTH mode.

Before the parabolic booster I was getting about 1000-1400 ft before the first hiccup in connection .around my neighborhood full of houses and wifi spots and other interferences . With booster on I can easily get 3500-4000 ft distance before the first hiccup in connection ymmv. Only issue is it adds a hefty amount of weight to the exiting ANTENNAES , so any sudden bump or movement and one or both flops out position

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 909
I see these boosters on Amazon for 18-25 bucks. Are they any good for the money, or just useless gadgets?
i dont see a difference from making a windsurfer or buying these except a better looking product. got the same distance with the paper one i did with the hard amazon one but the amazon one with copper just looks sweet so to me worth the 20 bucks vs having a getto looking paper on your 800-1300 drone...

There was a similar thread a week or two ago and one poster stated with authority that it doesn't matter whether its copper or aluminum - what matters is how smooth the surface is. He didn't validate this in any way, however.

I can't see any difference in the windsurfer I bought from Amazon. It's the aluminum type. Maybe it's the neighborhood I fly in and they will help more out in the open? Only 18 bucks, not like I spent a hundred or more.

What do you mean "difference." Difference between the amazon one and a home made one? Or difference between a stand alone linear antenna and one with the windsurfer? There is no question that a windsurfer design will add signal strength if you make any attempt to aim it correctly.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Sorry. I don't see any difference in range compared to without using one. As I said, it may be better in a more open area. In the suburbs I get the same range with or without the windsurfer.

I use them and the distance has doubled for me 8600' and had some video flicker so I chickened out, best I have gone. I don't like to push it, scares the sh&t out of me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's a pretty neat idea to have the 2 antenna dishes fold (even though he can't spell "folding") into a clamshell. However I prefer having the dishes separate. In my backpack it's easier to find places to store the two separate parabolic dishes, versus a clamshell that's twice as thick. These are the set of reflectors I like, good quality stuff, unlike this that I bought and arrived broken because the plastic was so thin. Sent that back the same day. However, a windsurfer provides great value, doubling the communications distance of Lightbridge for for $10 to $30, depending what kind of quality you want to guide your $1000 drone a couple miles away.

Update: Aug 2, 2018. I now prefer the folding clamshell windsurfer. I found it more convenient for storage. The only downside is it's harder to align the antennas and install one handed, versus put on one on at a time, for each antenna. This isn't a big deal once you get the hang of it, and you're not in a rush in the middle of a flight. Most the time I fly without windsurfer installed because I expect to fly nearby, less than a mile. However, sometimes I'll be flying a mile away and decide I want to go farther because I saw something via FPV that I want to get closer to. So.... I typically reach in the backpack for the windsurfer and install it during flight, which is a bit awkward one handed, but doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: LarBear360
I use them and the distance has doubled for me 8600' and had some video flicker so I chickened out, best I have gone. I don't like to push it, scares the sh&t out of me.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
When the video flickers, you push on till you loose all signal. It'll come back. Very nerve racking though [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Suntana

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20