Pans much smoother on TV

Reaction score
Hi all

Why are the pans on the video much smoother when I play them off the micro SD card plugged into a HD TV than when I play the videos directly on my PC? The PC is a pretty high spec one.

The videos are taken at 1080p. I really can't bare to watch them on my computer but they are perfect on my TV.

Thanks

Steve

i guess the video card on your pc is not upto the job or you have too many processes running in background.

Probably frame rate conversion. Your TV will play back at the correct rate for the clip - maybe 25 frames per second, while your PC is probably stuck at 30 frames per second, so is converting the video. This makes pans look quite jerky.

Do you mean that the video pauses and then continues on the PC? Is your PC old? If so, your PC can not process and stream the HD vide fast enough so it pauses to buffer the video. I have the same problem on my older G4 mac book pro but video plays smoothly on my newer faster Mac Pro. To solve the problem, I watch the videos on VLC player and slow down the video just a little. ( from the menu bar click playback and then slide the speed bar down a little) It is hardly noticeable and solves the problem for me. Also, record at 720 instead of 1080 and your problem will be solved. Not much difference in quality to the eye.

Panning in progressive mode is mostly jerky, depending on what's in the frame and the speed of the pan. Specially at 24p, 25p or 30p. The rest is a question of Processor, Ram, and graphic card. HD video is highly greedy in resources and you mostly need a superior machine to play everything smoothly.
Tip: You can export with youtube or vimeo patterns to make a light file. The quality is still great and almost any computer will be able to read it smoothly.

Hi Sergekouper,
Can you clarify, what do you mean when you say:
"Tip: You can export with youtube or vimeo patterns to make a light file."
What program are you exporting from? What workflow do you use for your video file exports?
Thanks,
-Liam

What application are you using to play the file on the PC? Try a different one.

I noticed at work when showing some phantom videos (especially the one I flew out of the parking lot at work) that on many peoples' rigs (mix of late-model laptop and desktop) that my videos were jerky.

I dont have that problem - either playing them directly off the card or off a file share on my network.

I think it is graphics card related, as smooth video necessarily means moving around large amounts of memory to keep the image frame up to date. Bandwidths needed to xfer the bitstream over a network are probly @ 3MB/s for full 1080p, MP4 compressed - and thats relatively easy to do.

Keep in mind also, that if you erase your SD card all the time, you may start wearing it out. This technology degrades per-write cycle. Its best to let your card get, say, 75% full before you clean it off and start from 0 again - this will make write-cycles on same blocks fewer, and preserve the life of the card.

Every other video file I have plays fine on VLC player except the Gopro ones.
For some reason Gopro files playback much better in Windows Media Player.

LiamFrederick said:
Hi Sergekouper,
Can you clarify, what do you mean when you say:
"Tip: You can export with youtube or vimeo patterns to make a light file."
What program are you exporting from? What workflow do you use for your video file exports?
Thanks,
-Liam

Hi, I use Premiere Pro CC, and the onboard encoder. (But it's true for any program).
When I export a 4 mn timeline of HD video to let's say MP4 1080 25p, at the best quality, I get a more or less 1GB file.
I can play it fine but mostly if I try to play it on an ordinary or older computer, it may be jerky on some sequences or even freeze.
now if I use the Vimeo or youtube presets,(That are listed in the choice of formats to export) I get a 200/250 mb file. The quality is not that different but it plays fine on any machine.

djczing said:
Keep in mind also, that if you erase your SD card all the time, you may start wearing it out. This technology degrades per-write cycle. Its best to let your card get, say, 75% full before you clean it off and start from 0 again - this will make write-cycles on same blocks fewer, and preserve the life of the card.

This sounds like a myth to me unless you have a link to show otherwise.
In any case the card should be re-writeable with no loss of performance over hundreds of cycles.
I believe there is an inbuilt process which uses all parts of the card in a random, way so there won't be some sections used far more than others.

CityZen said:
What application are you using to play the file on the PC? Try a different one.

I've tried VLC, Windows media player and MPC-HC. They are all about the same. However, the picture in VLC is noticeably more washed out i.e. the colors are much duller. Any ideas why that might be?

Cheers

You probably need to adjust color-brightness-etc in VLC. Once adjusted, I get my best playbacks in VLC, and can adjust speed. I use it along with AdobePremPro in selecting scenes.

ussvertigo said:
You probably need to adjust color-brightness-etc in VLC. Once adjusted, I get my best playbacks in VLC, and can adjust speed. I use it along with AdobePremPro in selecting scenes.

Cheers. I didn't even realise you could make those adjustments. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.