Painting P3 Shell black

Reaction score
I personally would like to do this if it can be applied nicely and won't affect operation. Has anyone tried this if so do you have pics? What would be the best product or method to do this?

For one, these drones already create enough heat simply from their internal operations. Painting one black would absorb solar heat instead of reflecting it like the color white does.

Secondly, you would need to ensure any paint you used isn't going to interfere with not only the sensors, but the plastic itself. The paint will need to be nonmetallic and also, non-destructive to the plastics used in the shell.

Black might possibly be very visible in a blue sky, but the color itself isn't conducive to cooling off in direct sunlight. Black props have simply disappeared in daylight as some Youtube videos demonstrate. Perhaps painting the bottom shell only. Or, use a color that is not only safe for plastics, but highly visible in daytime.

Sounds like it's more headache than it's worth. I know there are other drones that are black like the Aries so I don't know about the whole heating up theory. However, it's not going to be worth trying

Sounds like it's more headache than it's worth. I know there are other drones that are black like the Aries so I don't know about the whole heating up theory. However, it's not going to be worth trying

Don't worry too much about the heat. We don't fly for such a long period of time where the color of the craft is going to badly affect things. My primary worry would be losing sight of the drone in a twilight condition so I plan on dying the shells a brilliant color like red or something.

Props that have been dyed Black seem to disappear. Check out Youtube for some of that action.

I will very likely dye just the bottom half of the shell on my P2V+ V3. I'm not too wild about spray painting it since so many paints will either not stick or, cause damage to such plastics. Specific spray paints typically require a plastic primer. So at a minimum, you're looking at two coats. I'm sure I could get some paint that would allow me to color the shell halves safely, but I don't want to add even one more gram of weight than what I absolutely need to. So when I make my decision, it will be with a dye.

There is a good bit of information on these forums about which dyes to use so you don't harm the different plastics. What's good for a prop isn't for a shell.

I'm seriously thinking about dyeing the bottom half of the shell in brilliant red. The the forward props in Bright Orange and the rear props in Fluorescent Green.

Just me talking out loud so to speak. I would personally welcome any advice as I'm sure you will as well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
20150112_143133.jpg
20150121_113609.jpg
20150130_015003.jpg
20150130_015051.jpg

I have a P3A completely disassembled for this very purpose, with intentions to go matt black as per the one above! Let me know the specifics you want pics of in the process and I can make sure I take record of it :) Otherwise, I will be sure to share any lessons learned in the process! I'm in a remote country with minimal access to supplies though, so I hope you're not in a rush!

image.jpg
image.jpg
For sheer cool factor, the black carbon fibre Phantoms from www.scorpiondrones.com are the cats meow... There are red carbon fibre wraps that look equally amazing.
But black is the new gold...

I think they look marvelous, and they aren't in the air long enough for the bright Sun star to care...

RedHotPoker

Wraps have got to weigh a lot! I was thinking of hydro-dipping mine in carbon fiber. Basically no wight added at all unless you clear over the top of it.

Wow, those pics are sick! It looks so much better in black!
Lou, how the hell did you do that?
Thanks, i used Rust-oleum universal flat black paint. 3 heavy coats over 7 to 8 days letting the paint bake in and cure for around 10 days before reassembly.....that wasn't really necessary cause in time i realized that paint was on there to stay it bonded great......pre-wash your plastic with soap and water and wear gloves(while washing and for all other contact) to avoid skin oil getting on plastic.....that paint did great will be using it again without question.
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/universal/universal-flat-spray-paint

Reactions: RamiAgonistes
I was thinking of going with high gloss galvanizing paint. We use it at work, I think it would put out an awesome shine and reflect sunlight while looking military-ish, thoughts?

I was thinking of going with high gloss galvanizing paint. We use it at work, I think it would put out an awesome shine and reflect sunlight while looking military-ish, thoughts?
The gloss may actually lower it's viability being that it may be more reflective....that aside i think it would look good...if you do post pics

How many companies do a A+ job dipping it in multiple colors? I saw on here one company does a dip in digital camo for like 250 but it's a long turnaround. I'm talking like a week turnaround with perfect, meticulous disassembly and assembly returning a like new product?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How many companies do a A+ job dipping it in multiple colors? I saw on here one company does a dip in digital camo for like 250 but it's a long turnaround. I'm talking like a week turnaround with perfect, meticulous disassembly and assembly returning a like new product?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Are you talking to me? Or talking about a die dip?

My P2 is hydrodipped in carbon-fibre effect.
One of the major things stopping me buying the P3 ... besides the fact that I'm waiting to see if there's going to be an Inspire 2 ... is the fact that the damned things are horrible plain white, with just a touch of gold.
The hydrodipped versions are far too expensive - I could just about buy an Inspire for what they want for a hydrodipped P3, but the plain white ones look too much like a toy. I just can't bring myself to buy one unless I knew I was going to be dyeing it.

image1.JPG

image1.JPG

Reactions: Steve Moore
So is that dipped or a decal? Looks dipped. Its very inexpensive to have something dipped, if you disassemble it yourself! And its stupid cheap to dip it yourself! 1 sq meter of film and the needed chemicals cost less than $40

Reactions: SnoozeDoggyDog
Lou & others....

How difficult is it to disassemble the shell? Are there a lot of little pieces in there that will be easy to lose or hard to reassemble?

Also, ia there a proper technique for spray painting this? How far away should you be, etc

painted mine black too, no issue with heat (with the prop wash its actually cold on top - only the 4k camera stuff is warm, but i didnt change the paint on that.

disassembly is a little painful to be honest.... and im sure this voids warranty in some way ;)

spraying is like any other thing, test it out first on cardboard, remember to clear the head of the can when you're done by spraying elsewhere with the can upside down, spray evenly, do this outside (its toxic), etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31