Painting P2 shell (for non artist)

QYV

Reaction score
I may know a lot about FPV and frequencies and tinkering with electronics but not so much about different types of paint and materials. I'm interested in taking off the shell (I'll start with just he top) and painting it a color... I'm not trying to get fancy I just want it to look decent, evenly colored, stuff like that. I talked to one guy on here who is a bigtime hobbyist/painter and while he was helpful, when I asked him how he painted his Phantom he described prepping the material, multiple coats of different paint, baking it in the oven, chemicals... basically stuff I didn't understand or want to get into
I feel like I'm smart enough to know a few things:
1 don't want to use "heavy" paint to add a bunch of weight
2 don't want to use any type of paint which doesn't cooperate well with the plastic shell material

and that's pretty much it. So, any advice on this topic would be welcome. I'd like something relatively inexpensive, I was thinking I could just grab a can of spray paint and have at it but I figured can't hurt to ask here first for advice... so here we are.

Any tips on doing a simple, effective non-damaging paintjob are welcome.

Random thought: I really like black and if I had my choice I'd probably do some sort of matte black, should I be concerned about heat absorption in sunlight? If I fly 3 batteries in the blazing sun I bet a black Phantom would get a lot hotter internally than a white one... should I use reflective paint instead of matte?

+1. Don't use metallic paint.

I just used model spray paint on mine. Worked a treat.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408654547.543709.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408654547.543709.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 1,864
sorry I've been offline for a few days but very much appreciate the responses!

If you want to do it right get a hydrodip done by someone who knows how to do it right. Paint is heavy, this "wrap" is extremely light and durable. Below are the pictures of the custom job I'm having done by Zach at Drone-Works.com

Phantom.jpeg

Phantom2.jpeg

Reactions: 808 Oahu Realtor
Wanted to share a little project that I've undertaken for better or worse. Came across a couple of F-16 photos of a National Guard unit down in Houston Texas. Come to find out they have now converted over to drones. How ironic! Anyway, I liked the color scheme of the 90th Anniversary blue and yellow and decided to give it a shot and see what would happen. Here's what I finished up with. Lot of work, and praying it would come out. Now have to see how well it will fly. (I change out the gray props to the white ones when actually flying in case of a balance issue with the light coat of paint.)

Attachments

• ACE 4.jpg
    ACE 4.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 2,348
  • ACE 3.jpg
    ACE 3.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 3,393
  • ACE 2.jpg
    ACE 2.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 2,310
  • ACE 6.jpg
    ACE 6.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,634
Here is the second F-16 that was an "inspiration", and the quad during an engine "run-up".

Attachments

• ACE 7.jpg
    ACE 7.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,462
  • ACE 5.jpg
    ACE 5.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 3,208
yea man that's really cool! Are you aware there are actual gray props? I think you mentioned you painted yours gray?

Thanks for the kind words GoodnNuff and Qyv, I do appreciate it. I only painted the tips yellow as I purchased gray props to begin with. I have used hobby/model spray paints on a previous Phantom project. The paint seemed to go on well and dry nicely. I did prep the surface first using GoGone and wiped it down and let it dry completely. Did the masking, painting, decaling but did not clear coat it. (big mistake) Took the Phantom down to the Houston Gulf Coast area for a photo shoot assignment, and the decals were just destroyed with the humidity in the air and on my hands. Had to be very careful where I handled the Phantom.

That experience led me to finish my next project off with a clear coat. (This blue and yellow Phantom) Out of curiosity, I decided to use House of Kolor automotive paints on my next project. House of Kolor has a huge number of colors/finishes/effects available. It's usually sold in cans, but I decided to spend a little more and bought the colors I wanted in a spray can format. I was very pleased with how the paint went on and the color it produced. That brand of paint is designed to be used with a clear coat as it is dull when it dries.

Again, the idea of using a clear coat was to seal in the decals I was planning on using, plus to protect the paint from getting too scarred up, as will happen when making hard landings, tip overs, contact with bushes, etc. A clear coat is not an armor protection, but it does help with the little dings and handling that goes on. I am in the process of re-decaling and touching up my first Phantom that I did and hopefully will be able to post photos of that one when I get done.

I do not own a prop balancer yet, but did use a needle to balance the props on. (like a teeter-totter) It seemed to return to straight across after bobbling them some, but can't know for sure it's a true balance.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Infidel said:
If you want to do it right get a hydrodip done by someone who knows how to do it right. Paint is heavy, this "wrap" is extremely light and durable. Below are the pictures of the custom job I'm having done by Zach at Drone-Works.com

Phantom.jpeg

Phantom2.jpeg
I got a home kit going to dip mine soon .
Your shell looks good :D

Here are a couple pics of my painted phantom 2. Its nothing fancy, just all flat black. I was going for the "Batmans Phantom" look. I am thinking of swapping out the motors for some e300's to complete the look but from what I hear they dont improve flight time of performance so I am still on the fence about it.

Attachments

• 2015-02-07 15.40.11.jpg
    2015-02-07 15.40.11.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 970
  • 2015-02-07 15.48.25-2.jpg
    2015-02-07 15.48.25-2.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 962
way cool! I'm about to paint my top shell grey... different from yours but wow that's a nice look! especially with the grey props I have a set of those too :)

QYV said:
way cool! I'm about to paint my top shell grey... different from yours but wow that's a nice look! especially with the grey props I have a set of those too :)

Thanks, I appreciate it! Be sure to post some pics of your finished paint job!

How did the home kit go? im thinking of doing a home kit myself.

I painted mine black bottom with a yellow top and at 200 - 250 a against tree line you easily lose it and the black helps when your up in the air against white cloud background. Other then that it's a waste of time plus the added weight so i'm switching back to an all white body.

I painted mine black bottom with a yellow top and at 200 - 250 a against tree line you easily lose it and the black helps when your up in the air against white cloud background. Other then that it's a waste of time plus the added weight so i'm switching back to an all white body.

Yes this is my first all white drone and im a little worried about losing sight against the light blue or white cloudy sky, that is why im thinking of changing the color. I was looking to go for the Aqua Dip option as that adds the least amount of weight but can still have a glossy finish to help reflect some of the heat of a darker color (everything being darker than white obviously), I was looking at a silver carbon fiber with a blue or red undercoat and gloss finish.

Any color other then white will blend easily with the background at any given distance and being as small as a P2/P3 is it doesn't take much of a distraction to loss sight of it. I wouldn't be changing back to white if it weren't a problem. They may cool an all but it makes no difference how bright the colors are they will blend in and if you're not FPV and know the area you flying in orientation could be an even bigger problem. Notice I haven't mentioned IOC.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20