p4p wants to take off on it's own

Reaction score
I was in the Chesapeake Bay Saturday and attempted to launch my p4p from the bow of the boat when i fired up the motors instead of motor speed reving up then dropping to idle they stayed at the higher speed then tried to fly off so I grabbed the landing leg with one hand and cut power to drone with the other.
I then powered everything down Drone, Controller, and Ipad then powered everything up again and it did the same thing. The only warning that came up was Class D airspace Fly with caution. I was not in class D but that warning come up all the time even when i,m not in any controlled airspace. I then went alt closer to land set up everything just like before and it worked fine. Any ideas on what could have went wrong? Windspeed was S.W 5 to 10 Knotts.

Reactions: jamietrotter
Was the boat moving such as drifting or swaying under anchor?

The only warning that came up was Class D airspace Fly with caution. I was not in class D but that warning come up all the time even when i,m not in any controlled airspace. I then went alt closer to land set up everything just like before and it worked fine
First, take a look at your flight logs and get the GPS co ordinance of both take off locations and compare those to the airspace map. Just to verify that you were not in a Class D, at least in the "closer to land" location. Then you can look at other possibilities for the occurrence.

Silly question, but did you have auto takeoff enabled in the app?

Did you take a look at the flight log? It's very odd that it would takeoff on it's own. I have heard of this before, but usually it's been from not shutting down the AC upon landing.

My first and immediate line of thinking is that this auto takeoff was actually the aircraft trying to maintain position in a moving boat.

Reactions: dorbot
Could be barometer was being upset with the swell. Maybe the aircraft thought it was flying and was trying to stay put.

Try it at home. Start the drone on a flat surface without the props. move the drone and listen to the motors go mental trying to hold position.
Boats are known to move on occasion, especially when they are on water.

Even though you are not actually flying, just spinning motors on the ground, the IMU will still detect movement and relay attempts at counter movements to the motors.

Reactions: Archangel3356

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1