P4P vs Mavic Range Comparison?

Reaction score
I know I've already posted today, but I'm trying to decide between a mavic and a p4p. Anyone know which has the better range? I'm looking for a drone with good range.

Per DJI's specs, the range is equal.

Which has gotten better results?
There is no definitive answer to that question since (as always) anecdotal reports for both have been all over the place. There are examples on YouTube of both models meeting their range specification, although due to the enormous number of variables involved you may or may not get that level of performance at any given time. Bottom line, you will get answers all over the map so it's pretty much a matter of what you choose to believe. In terms of concrete factors, I tend to agree that the ability to use the 5.8 GHz band can potentially be a significant plus for the P4P.

There is no definitive answer to that question since (as always) anecdotal reports for both have been all over the place. There are examples on YouTube of both models meeting their range specification, although due to the enormous number of variables involved you may or may not get that level of performance at any given time. Bottom line, you will get answers all over the map so it's pretty much a matter of what you choose to believe. In terms of concrete factors, I tend to agree that the ability to use the 5.8 GHz band can potentially be a significant plus for the P4P.
Well I have seen certain people say the range of the mavic is better, albeit limited by battery and some say the p4p has the advantage. I don't want to spend 1900 dollars (would get built in screen and DJI care) if I want better range but it ends up being worse. Just being cautious.

Well I have seen certain people say the range of the mavic is better, albeit limited by battery and some say the p4p has the advantage. I don't want to spend 1900 dollars (would get built in screen and DJI care) if I want better range but it ends up being worse. Just being cautious.
Do you often find you need to fly 4 miles away?

Mavic has excellent distance and signal integrity, however I don't own P4P yet. I'm waiting for DJI to fix the bugs, but I may wait for the P5. I own the P3P, P4 and Mavic. The Mavic is hands down the best for range among these three.

The other benefit of Mavic is the upcoming wireless goggles, simultaneously with the iPad displaying the camera view. So you can hand the goggles to anyone to view your flight in parallel to you flying the craft with an iPad. P4P can't work with the goggles wirelessly, it requires an HDMI cable.

However the P4P has the superior camera, hands down. So your decision should include considering your use case, hobby or commercial work?

Reactions: JamesVG and glen e
See, this is what confuses me. Some people are saying mavic for range, some are saying P4P, so it's hard to get a definite answer. And as a answer to the one of the previous comments I want to do use it for photography and real estate pics and have some fun with it.

See, this is what confuses me. Some people are saying mavic for range, some are saying P4P, so it's hard to get a definite answer. And as a answer to the one of the previous comments I want to do use it for photography and real estate pics and have some fun with it.
It is safe to say that as the specification is the same both both (for maximum range) and there is no good a/b tests for both in the same conditions (and range will vary a lot with the conditions) this should not be a deciding factor.

But for real estate and photography, p4p wins hands down due to the vastly improved camera.

Phantom 3 standard for sale with argtek remote and extra battery. Owned it for two months and I just want to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It is safe to say that as the specification is the same both both (for maximum range) and there is no good a/b tests for both in the same conditions (and range will vary a lot with the conditions) this should not be a deciding factor.

But for real estate and photography, p4p wins hands down due to the vastly improved camera.
BUT the p4p still has an advantage since it can switch to 5.8ghz band. Mavic cannot.

Reactions: PhantomEvan
You shouldn't be flying out of line of sight anyway. Both of these drones will fly outside of line of sight so the exact distances do not matter. If you plan on flying outside of line of sight, please do not get a quadcopter. There are already way to many irresponsible pilots out there. It will not be long before we will not be able to fly anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The bottom line is that any inherent range difference between the P4P and Mavic isn't going to amount to much (to the extent it exists at all) and beyond that there are so many other more important differences between the two models that I can't see how one would use range as a determining factor in a purchase decision. Why would you skip over major considerations like form factor, image quality, object avoidance, etc, and worry about whether one has 1/2 mile more range than the other? Considering battery limitations how many missions do people fly out to 4 miles anyway?

Last edited:
Pageside i think people understand this...they will make their own decisions regardless...anyways phantom 4 pro is better then mavic in terms of range. It has the advantage of 5.8 which dji rated for 4.3 miles at 28 dbm also mavics ocusync is more optimized for the goggles and 720p feed farther away. When me and my friend go to fly 4 out of 6 i was able to go farther. I notice in a big interference area sometimes the mavic is clearer on the feed

Mavic has excellent distance and signal integrity, however I don't own P4P yet. I'm waiting for DJI to fix the bugs, but I may wait for the P5. I own the P3P, P4 and Mavic. The Mavic is hands down the best for range among these three.

The other benefit of Mavic is the upcoming wireless goggles, simultaneously with the iPad displaying the camera view. So you can hand the goggles to anyone to view your flight in parallel to you flying the craft with an iPad. P4P can't work with the goggles wirelessly, it requires an HDMI cable.

However the P4P has the superior camera, hands down. So your decision should include considering your use case, hobby or commercial work?
I have a iPad mini4, how do you get it into the Mavic controller?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1