P4P side sensor distance waaaayyyyyyy off.

Reaction score
I just noticed my side sensor distance on my P4P is way off.
is there a way to calibrate the side sensors?

flying in "beginner" or "tri-pod" mode, so the sensors should stop the aircraft when close to something on the side.

The problem i noticed is the side sensors are detecting according to the app, but are detecting something literally 2 to 3 feet away as 7 feet away.

I was so bold as to let the drone fly close to my head, and the drone was 1 foot away, and was still able to continue on, until I could have gotten a good scalping.

So it allows the quad to keep going sideways until it wipes of the blades (i stopped it before that happened).

the front and rear cameras work perfect.
it is just the side that is not working correctly.

I looked for answers on this, and found none.

I just noticed that for some reason this particular P4P has the infrared sensors in the oval windows flashing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Have you done a sensor calibration using DJI Assistant 2 software?
Side sensors aren't calibrated when using this method..... only front, rear, and bottom. It calibrates the optical avoidance cameras, not the infrared sensors. As far as I know there is no calibration for the side sensors in the available software.

Even though i knew it would most likely do no good, i calibrated everything. I had just cant figure out why the side sensors wont stop it before it would smack a wall, with the sensors blinking away.

I haven't tried Tripod Mode in that way, but the sensors are supposed to be somewhat conservative and can be made less sensitive by a setting on the C buttons.

I found this old discussion. I'm not sure if it is definitive, but may provide some insight (or even more questions)

Is it possible that newer GO4 updates changed the original intent or parameters?
Or could a reinstall of GO4 app correct it?

I saw something similar. I have 2 different electronic devices (one android tablet, and 1 ipad). I do know it is only active in beginner and tripod mode, and in good light, so i have attempted all of the reloads, and flight options. And since i use the same electronic devices for my other P4P’s and the obstacle avoidance and side sensors work fine, it’s all still a total mystery. But, I do truly appreciate your taking the time to look for an answer for me. Im still scratching my head.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl