P4P setting for fireworks shooting

As there is only one chance this year, do you have any recommendation on ISO, Aperture, shutter, sharpness,... setting with the new P4P?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Im just an amateur so if anyone experienced disagrees or Im wrong please do say but:

I would say have quite a low ISO of maybe round 100 or 200 so there isn't a lot of noise. I'd say the aperture depends on how thin/wide you want your firework streaks to be; a bigger opening means wide streaks but don't overexpose; id settle for f/8 but experiment! You can get some nice effects with slower shutter speeds but the drone has to be pretty steady and again, don't overexpose. Do a few test rounds to adjust round those settings but keep adjusting if the sky is too dark etc etc.

A low iso and aperture is going to make you need to do a slower shutter speed to compensate for the correct lighting you want. I would take as many test pictures, as you can, as soon as you see the start of the fireworks. This way, you can set your preferred settings st the beginning and not have to mess with it again, unless you want to.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tymonstuff
Im just an amateur so if anyone experienced disagrees or Im wrong please do say but:

I would say have quite a low ISO of maybe round 100 or 200 so there isn't a lot of noise. I'd say the aperture depends on how thin/wide you want your firework streaks to be; a bigger opening means wide streaks but don't overexpose; id settle for f/8 but experiment! You can get some nice effects with slower shutter speeds but the drone has to be pretty steady and again, don't overexpose. Do a few test rounds to adjust round those settings but keep adjusting if the sky is too dark etc etc.
Your really close here Tymonstuff. Don't need a very high ISO at all. Fireworks are super bright. Lower ISO's will keep noise down in the darks. I would stick with whatever ISO will get you good exposure at F5.6- F8 or so. These birds are fine at really slow shutter speeds for this stuff. I've seen pretty sharp images at 1 second in fact. It's almost like a tripod in the sky. Especially in lower winds.

PN1... I assume that you are asking about photos...
Depending on your end purpose....
Try considering a Video at 4K and taking screen grabs
Make sure you are upwind and about 500ft high
Try and find out what size shells are being used to determin height...
each shell diameter in inches related to 100 feet in height
Look at this video and imagine screen grabs...(not mine)

Here is B&H Photos Tips
How to Photograph Fireworks

I have taken fireworks photos for many years in our area and I was excited at first, but after seeing others photos, I grew very disappointed.Reason being the backgrounds where bland....just black.
Watch for a background with lights or a bridge to add another degree of excitement!

Final Tip...If you print the photos, print on metallic paper for a fantastic POP !
I have printed for our town 16x20 prints on metallic paper for display..
Have Fun !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20