P4P & MP Workflow

Reaction score
My P4P is here (tomorrow) and I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to my MP, specifically in low light etc... but the top thing I want is the adjustable aperture. As a photographer I miss the ability to shoot F4, 5.6 etc... based on light and playing with DOF. For those that have both of these what is your typical usecase/work flow?

As a photographer I miss the ability to shoot F4, 5.6 etc... based on light and playing with DOF.
It's great not having to shoot everything with the aperture wide open but you won't be able to play around with depth of field unless you get very close to your subject.
The lens has a truckload of DoF at all apertures.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
It's great not having to shoot everything with the aperture wide open but you won't be able to play around with depth of field unless you get very close to your subject.
The lens has a truckload of DoF at all apertures.
Thanks - had forgotten that the P4P is even more WA than my MP so agreed DOH is already in the 'house'.

My P4P is here (tomorrow) and I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares to my MP, specifically in low light etc... but the top thing I want is the adjustable aperture. As a photographer I miss the ability to shoot F4, 5.6 etc... based on light and playing with DOF. For those that have both of these what is your typical usecase/work flow?
Dont understand what you are going to be shooting where DOF is a big deal. These lenses are so wide your not really benefitting much with DOF imo. I had all kinds of trouble with AutoFocus on mine especially at night btw. So I now lock it on Manual and never touch it! Anything outside of 15ft is all in focus pretty much when set to basically infinity. I leave my focus set to one click shy of infinity. Best focus area I have found. But I'm not shooting much of anything inside 15ft. Can't control what autofocus does imo.

Dont understand what you are going to be shooting where DOF is a big deal. These lenses are so wide your not really benefitting much with DOF imo. I had all kinds of trouble with AutoFocus on mine especially at night btw. So I now lock it on Manual and never touch it! Anything outside of 15ft is all in focus pretty much when set to basically infinity. I leave my focus set to one click shy of infinity. Best focus area I have found. But I'm not shooting much of anything inside 15ft. Can't control what autofocus does imo.

Looks like I will need to experiment to find the settings that will work for what I'm trying to do. Regarding DOF I was hoping to use the P4P for some prospective shots at between 12 and 20 feet looking down /angled. I don't expect to get the bokeh that my L lenses give me but hoping to do better than I can with my MP.

Looks like I will need to experiment to find the settings that will work for what I'm trying to do. Regarding DOF I was hoping to use the P4P for some prospective shots at between 12 and 20 feet looking down /angled. I don't expect to get the bokeh that my L lenses give me but hoping to do better than I can with my MP.
I don't think you will notice a big diff in focus and DOF with these lenses much. As the Auto Focus is not the greatest imo. But it is very little diff in focus tbo with this wide of a lense. If you were shooting something that was 4-5ft away you will notice the focus and DOF. But anything much farther away and it will just not be that noticeable at 24mm which is what the P4P lens is. You would def have to be at f2.8 to make it as much blur and short DOF as possible btw. As you close down the lens aperture your DOF will get longer and longer making everthing in focus more and more. And, if you are shooting a looking down angle,you don't have a lot of distance to blur out anyway. Most of the time this kind of thing your wanting to do is done with a steady cam that you can rack focus on as you shoot. Hard to do with this level of drone. The Inspire has a focusing device you can buy for it that lets you do this. It will let another operator focus the shot while you fly. But your talking big bucks now. LOL

Adjusting the aperture on the Phantom will change the DoF, but not as much as you might imagine.
For general aerial photography where everything in the picture is distant, it doesn't make much difference.
Here are some numbers to show what the actual effect is:

At f2.8 and focused at 50 feet - everything from 12ft - infinity is in focus
At f5.6 and focused at 50 feet - everything from 6ft - infinity is in focus
At f11 and focused at 50 feet - everything from 3ft - infinity is in focus

Reactions: trickhog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers