P4P Horizon Tilt During Throttle (Video)

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here, and a new P4P owner. I'm on my fifth flight now just learning the new capabilities of this drone and I'm having some issues with the horizon going out of level during throttle forward or backward. It's so bad that it's unusable. (I've attached a video showing an example of both forward and backward throttle)

Also, if I'm just hovering and the horizon is level and I rudder right or left 360 degrees, the horizon goes out of level during the rotation, quite drastically.

I've performed multiple auto gimbal calibrations, as well as an IMU calibration on a level surface but no luck. I've heard of horizon issues with Phantoms in the past, but this goes beyond simply straightening it out manually while in the air. Since it drifts under throttle, it makes the shots unusable.

Hoping someone out there has experienced something similar and has a fix.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Have you tried adjusting gimbal roll in flight to see if you still have the problem?
Have tried that in the past, but the problem is that while stationary the horizon is level, and then it sways under throttle, so the gimbal roll adjustment doesn't help me in that regard.

Long shot but make sure you are in Follow mode and not FPV.
Not a long shot, definitely something that should be checked.

I sometimes see a horizon shift during radical changes in direction but your example is indeed pretty bad and doesn't seem normal.

Not a long shot, definitely something that should be checked.

I sometimes see a horizon shift during radical changes in direction but your example is indeed pretty bad and doesn't seem normal.
I did check and the gimbal is in follow mode.

I'm having the exact same issue. Also the random twitching effect. Done every calibration multiple times with no luck. Hope it gets fixed in the next firmware update

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm having the exact same issue. Also the random twitching effect. Done every calibration multiple times with no luck. Hope it gets fixed in the next firmware update

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Sorry to hear that. To be it's unacceptable as I can't actually use the drone with the gimbal not performing correctly. I'll be doing a couple more calibrations, and if not I'll be sending it back.

Sadly, my p4p is experiencing the same issue. Almost any change in speed or direction will tilt the horizon. And forget about trying to get a straight shot in any kind of wind, not even a mild breeze. Very frustrating as I love everything else about the craft.

I have the same thing. Sometimes when I'm lining up a shot and I see a tilted horizon I do a slow 360 and it levels out...

Just as an update: Multiple IMU calibrations have done nothing, even while cold. Sending the drone into DJI for "repair". I'll let everyone know if I have any success.

This has been an issue on many drones, P3, P4, P4P - Mine is such that the gimbal tilt depending on which way I'm flying.. I can fly east and adjust tilt then fly west and change again it's a mess. Sometimes if I have tilt in the direction I'm facing I simply do a 360 spin and it fixes it. No firmware is going to fix this,.

Yeah - the biggest failure of the DJI drone lineup is their failure to design a gimbal with a reliable level horizon irrespective of yaw or altitude change.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31