P4P has better range than Mavic in urban environment?

Reaction score
I flew my P4P over anurban environment to an outdoor mall as my destination that was 2 miles (3.2km) away with no issues. I was in Auto 5.8. Flew over houses, a school (empty) and a gas station.

I took the same altitude and path with my Mavic Pro and i barely made it over a 1.1 mile (1.8km) before getting weak transmission errors. I didnt want to push it so I turned it around. Changed battery and flew again with the same results.

Is there a way to set the Mavic auto 5.8hz like the P4P? Not sure what frequency or band the Mavic chose.
Only difference was the time of day. The P4P was flown at 7pm and Mavic was flown at 9pm the following day.

P4P firmware 01.03.0509 stock antenna and battery
Mavic firmware 01.03.1000 stock antenna and battery

Last edited:
That time difference could be a part of it, surely. Try it again, reversing the times.
(I'd be interested to find out your results, as I won both, as well)

Thanks!

Reactions: cthetoy
Is there a way to set the Mavic auto 5.8hz like the P4P?
Mavic doesn't support 5.8Ghz. That's likely the reason the P4P works better. Interference from 5.8Ghz is less prevalent in urban areas, hence you'll get more distance. @GadgetGuy gets over 4mi range in urban areas with his P4P, but he's perched up on a hill looking down at the city below, an ideal setup for range.

Last edited:
Reactions: babaco and cthetoy
Also hold on to 1.3.0509 like grim death. I think it's the best rev. I have no troubles with it.
Yes, anything newer than 1.3.509 will not allow you to disable SMART RTH, and it will also have a bad database for helipads in the GEO that's a nuisance. 1.3.509 is the P4P sweet spot!

If anyone is buying a new P4P, they should look for 1.3.509 firmware if the seller can verify for you. In fact, I would buy a used P4P craft with 1.3.509 before I'd buy a new one with later firmware, assuming the price is right. If everyone did this, DJI might get the message we don't like them playing big brother, but I doubt that will ever happen.

The problem with buying P4P+ is there is no way to get 1.3.509 on the craft because you have to get newer packaged firmware to get the display to work right, if my memory serves me right. That's a good reason to buy P4P (if you can get 1.3.509) and then buy the larger 8" Crystal Sky if you really want the bright display. That option also lets you use an iPad later if you want to use Litchi, or other third party apps. Just buy this optional clip below that's compatible with the Crystal Sky mount.

upload_2017-9-11_12-55-44.png

Last edited:
Yes, anything newer than 1.3.509 will not allow you to disable SMART RTH
I have 1.3.0509 but smart RTH is still gone. I believe it's the remote firmware that removed it. New out of the box, I did have to update the remote to cure a red blinking/beeping problem with it and I'm sure doing that wiped out smart RTH.

I have 1.3.0509 but smart RTH is still gone. I believe it's the remote firmware that removed it. New out of the box, I did have to update the remote to cure a red blinking/beeping problem with it and I'm sure doing that wiped out smart RTH.
You've got miss-matched RC firmware and craft h/w. The matching RC firmware to craft firmware 1.3.509 supports disabling of SMART RTH. As you can see in my signature, my RC firmware is 1.4.1.0. You likely have newer firmware, which is too bad. It may also be due to you using a newer Go4 app, newer than 4.0.8.

That blinking beeping problem you had happens when the RC needs the sticks calibrated. All you really have to do is calibrate the sticks and the beeping should go away. I've had to do that 3 times in the two years I've flown various Phantom models.

I'll check and see which rc and app firmware I have. I honestly think you have a newer rc firmware than I do but I'll check. I most likely won't (ever?) need the function of disabling smart RTH but I do hope they bring it back. But where I'm at with my firmware revs, including assistant 2, allowed for some much appreciated system tweaks to get rid of the high wind warnings and some other needed tweaks. Everything stays the way it is with my system for good. I was lucky to get the p4p with 1.3.0509. Lucky indeed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1