P4p Flying above the water

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm will sorry for my bad english but I'm a italian guy and my english is very poor ... :)
I live in Bellagio, near the lake of Como, and usually I fly near the Mountain. The days go on and now I want to Explore new area, here now rest only the lake ( to cross it I have about 3km), I have a lot of pain to cross the lake, because if I have fault of battery or engine ( motor), I have only to saw bye bye for my drone...the lake is deep 412mt.
Do you have experiens or many hour without problem due your drone? Now I have 90 hour of flight and I hope to fly more again but with the water is not possible take a prank.
Thanks a lot guys!
Ciao :)

Hi guys, I'm will sorry for my bad english but I'm a italian guy and my english is very poor ... :)
I live in Bellagio, near the lake of Como, and usually I fly near the Mountain. The days go on and now I want to Explore new area, here now rest only the lake ( to cross it I have about 3km), I have a lot of pain to cross the lake, because if I have fault of battery or engine ( motor), I have only to saw bye bye for my drone...the lake is deep 412mt.
Do you have experiens or many hour without problem due your drone? Now I have 90 hour of flight and I hope to fly more again but with the water is not possible take a prank.
Thanks a lot guys!
Go for it! Some people had the "white knuckles" when flying over water ... It's only a mental barrier you must overcome, but once you do, you'll be fine ... Try to realize simple fact that in case of drone malfunctioning it doesn't really matter. It'll be signed off either way! I fly mostly over lakes, operating the drone from moving boat and with no solid ground to land. For this purpose I've developed custom landing gear, but still it will do nothing to avoid an battery or motor failure. Such device may keep the wreck on surface, but most likely the drone will be damaged beyond reparation ... Disable VPS, fly at least 20m above water, estimate the wind factor. Most importantly: fly within LOS ... Not enough fuel during RTH and the drone will land ...

Most of my flights involve lots of time over water. The coastline makes interesting subject matter. I would say however, to be mindful of birds in the area. The white P4P against water can make an inviting target for birds of prey:(

That's one of the better DIY floats for the Phantom I've seen, dobmatt. Nice! Love the shots too, beautiful country.

Good point EPT160. I was getting some dive-bombing from the seagulls in the bay a few months back while doing open ocean trials for the WaterStrider.

My only comment from experience over water is that is can be really useful to land on the water to wait for the perfect shot, such as wildlife to come nearby, while saving your battery, and giving you more time to find that opportunity. Also, if you are using all the battery life possible, it is relieving to know the drone will land safely on the water if you don't make it back in time, assuming you have a way to go get it of course.

Go for it! Some people had the "white knuckles" when flying over water ... It's only a mental barrier you must overcome, but once you do, you'll be fine ... Try to realize simple fact that in case of drone malfunctioning it doesn't really matter. It'll be signed off either way! I fly mostly over lakes, operating the drone from moving boat and with no solid ground to land. For this purpose I've developed custom landing gear, but still it will do nothing to avoid an battery or motor failure. Such device may keep the wreck on surface, but most likely the drone will be damaged beyond reparation ... Disable VPS, fly at least 20m above water, estimate the wind factor. Most importantly: fly within LOS ... Not enough fuel during RTH and the drone will land ...

Thank to your reply... yes my fear is the fault for the loss of the drone, not to destroy.
To make it float there are 100 different ways, floating tubular sponge, bottles (like your case) ... But all have a common problem, the stability! to achieve stability, the drone, will consume much more energy and in my case this is not ok, I have to fly for longe range, about 7/8 km just one way...
To float, I thought of a light wire connected to the drone with a balloon (those narrow and long), just only problem, if it comes into propeller ?

Thank to your reply... yes my fear is the fault for the loss of the drone, not to destroy.
To make it float there are 100 different ways, floating tubular sponge, bottles (like your case) ... But all have a common problem, the stability! to achieve stability, the drone, will consume much more energy and in my case this is not ok, I have to fly for longe range, about 7/8 km just one way...
To float, I thought of a light wire connected to the drone with a balloon (those narrow and long), just only problem, if it comes into propeller ?
7-8 km one way?! Yes, now I understand your fear: this is suicidal mission ... Good luck, my friend ...

7-8 km one way?! Yes, now I understand your fear: this is suicidal mission ... Good luck, my friend ...
No my Friend, why? My normal flight time is about 20 minute and finish with to have 25 %to 35% of remain level battery l (rest to me about 5/6 min of flight in case to emergency) and for me is a Lot of time and with my p4p . Just to let you know if I go at Speed 10 km/h or 52km/h i Will lost the same % of battery... is usually normal fly for me flight have from 4km to 8of range...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-06-11-13-43.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-06-11-13-43.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 395
  • Screenshot_2017-02-06-11-13-03.png
    Screenshot_2017-02-06-11-13-03.png
    414 KB · Views: 329
No my Friend, why? My normal flight time is about 20 minute and finish with to have 25 %to 35% of remain level battery l (rest to me about 5/6 min of flight in case to emergency) and for me is a Lot of time and with my p4p . Just to let you know if I go at Speed 10 km/h or 52km/h i Will lost the same % of battery... is usually normal fly for me flight have from 4km to 8of range...
Here now is Winter. ..I need to cross the lake, about large 3 km, not need following the river, suggest to not Loss s drone may be possibile faul?

This is my case, I need float extra aereodinamic:

OK, misunderstanding happen. By definition, range usually states the distance an vehicle can make on full tank. So, this is a loop, not one way distance. In your case the distance from Hotel Villa Aurora to Lenno town is about 3km, the same to Sala Comacina. Relatively safe for RC - P4P radio communication, so you're OK here. The total flight is about 10km long and lasts about 15-16 minutes, again you're OK within P4P performance. When you mentioned 8km distance one way ... I was skeptical about the ability of P4P to make it back to Strada 583! You have a wide open, unobstructed space between RC and the drone, not much to worry about in terms of radio transmission.

Now, back to the floats issue ... I did extensive research and testing of floating drones before finally building my rig. Trust me: there is no such thing like aerodynamic floats! My devices are as light and aerodynamic as humanly possible, still they're stealing about 3-5 minutes of flying time. My advice: forget about it and fly without worries. It's a beautiful place to do just that!

OK, misunderstanding happen. By definition, range usually states the distance an vehicle can make on full tank. So, this is a loop, not one way distance. In your case the distance from Hotel Villa Aurora to Lenno town is about 3km, the same to Sala Comacina. Relatively safe for RC - P4P radio communication, so you're OK here. The total flight is about 10km long and lasts about 15-16 minutes, again you're OK within P4P performance. When you mentioned 8km distance one way ... I was skeptical about the ability of P4P to make it back to Strada 583! You have a wide open, unobstructed space between RC and the drone, not much to worry about in terms of radio transmission.

Now, back to the floats issue ... I did extensive research and testing of floating drones before finally building my rig. Trust me: there is no such thing like aerodynamic floats! My devices are as light and aerodynamic as humanly possible, still they're stealing about 3-5 minutes of flying time. My advice: forget about it and fly without worries. It's a beautiful place to do just that!
Hi thank to Your reply... My fear is only for 1.9km, just cross the lake for 2.7km (+/- aurora to Lenno) , after the drone fly above the terrain and I will can rescue... on the video, you can See just a one of my trip...due the range of rc and the battery, off course the Drone not will have problem ... from Aurora I need to fly above Menaggio, near Plesio Church and this run have 9.2 km to fly at 400mt of altitude. To come back is better take the fast way ( above the lake for more minutes) and is the cause of the thread, the video is just an example where I fly. :)... I forgOt, the places on the video are : from Lezzeno to Lenno and then Tremezzo, following Griante, turn and go from Griante direct to Lenno and then isola... from isola to Lezzeno in my house are other 2.7Km ( I stay a Casate near fournace and not Aurora)...Total Trip 13.3km

Last edited:
Hi thank to Your reply... My fear is only for 1.9km, just cross the lake for 2.7km (+/- aurora to Lenno) , after the drone fly above the terrain and I will can rescue... on the video, you can See just a one of my trip...due the range of rc and the battery, off course the Drone not will have problem ... from Aurora I need to fly above Menaggio, near Plesio Church and this run have 9.2 km to fly at 400mt of altitude. To come back is better take the fast way ( above the lake for more minutes) and is the cause of the thread, the video is just an example where I fly. :)
Alan, tell me what and why do you want to rescue after an eventual fatal fall of your drone??? It doesn't matter if it dive 100m to the ground or to the bottom of lake! It's gonna be a total mess either way! Don't worry about it, just fly ...

Alan, tell me what and why do you want to rescue after an eventual fatal fall of your drone??? It doesn't matter if it dive 100m to the ground or to the bottom of lake! It's gonna be a total mess either way! Don't worry about it, just fly ...
Agreed but at least if you have a corpse you can send it in if you have DJI Care and get a replacement with nothing you'll have nothing.
but on another note even if it did have floats on it how would you retrieve it do you always bring a boat along with you when you go for a flight.

Reactions: Lescenatt
Hi, after the fatal crash, I need to rescue the drone due the insurance.... If I lost the Insurance not work :( .
Hi, after the fatal crash, I need to rescue the drone due the insurance.... If I lost the Insurance not work :( .
, i forgot, p4 drone if lost ( or damage) one propeller during the flight , this come back +/- without problem.

"Disable VPS, fly at least 20m above water"
OK but what does that do or how does it help over-water flights?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj