P4P BIG vehicle carrier ship caught leaving port in Philadelphia

Reaction score
Caught leaving port in Philly this afternoon. Didn't fly directly over since this is near Philadelphia Intl. Airport and max 200 ft ceiling through LAANC authorization. Plus new to this drone - purchased used this last week and still getting used to it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Nice video. You may be new to the P4P, but looks like you have some experience flying drones. Excellent coverage. What video editing program do you use?

Nice video. You may be new to the P4P, but looks like you have some experience flying drones. Excellent coverage. What video editing program do you use?
Thanks - yes been flying for a few years, first with a SPARK, and then an Autel EVO. I use Davinci Resolve 16 (free version) for video editing.

I figured you had drone time. I tried to find the free version and was redirected to Filmore trial version. Tried several sites. Guess it wasn't meant to be.... I just want a simple video editing program that allows me to enhance color and edit. Don't need a Hollywood production. Will keep looking.

Really interesting. You are a LOT braver than I am. I live in Baltimore and we have those ships going in and out all the time as well as Cruise Ships (well, before Covid anyway). I've wanted to fly just what you did and have been afraid they had anti-drone technology and would shoot it down. Apparently you had no issues. The cargo on those is so valuable that I figured they'd go out of their way to protect it. It didn't appear that anyone even noticed. Thanks for sharing. It made me a little braver maybe.

Really interesting. You are a LOT braver than I am. I live in Baltimore and we have those ships going in and out all the time as well as Cruise Ships (well, before Covid anyway). I've wanted to fly just what you did and have been afraid they had anti-drone technology and would shoot it down. Apparently you had no issues. The cargo on those is so valuable that I figured they'd go out of their way to protect it. It didn't appear that anyone even noticed. Thanks for sharing. It made me a little braver maybe.
I'm no expert on this, but I don't think just anyone can use anti-drone tech to bring down drones. Government and only certain law enforcement. Not cargo ships or even cruise lines to the best of my knowledge (could be wrong, but would be very surprised if they could).

Reactions: RobH2
Yea, I know that if a regular citizen shoots a drone out of the sky the FAA treats it as if they shot at an airplane. I hear it can be pretty serious for the attacker. I'm obviously no expert either but I assumed that flying close to a ship like that was risky as they might want to thwart the drone. I guess you are right, that only proper police have the authority to do that, not shipboard security. I'll do some research on this now that your video has me thinking about the issue.

Nice flight and smooth video. I've flown over water, and there's always that chance you might have a water landing, but if you are not taking the risk, you won't have the video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic