P4P Battery Error (High Capacity 5870) - won't turn off

Reaction score
Charged my original 5870 battery that came with the P4P. The battery has 75 cycles. All appeared normal. I have 4 other batteries that were charged at the same time as this one - no issues with the other 4. When I insert that battery in the P4P, it turns on by itself and powers up the AC. Now it won't turn off, even after I pull from the AC. While it's in the AC, the battery lights replicate the pattern of a normal charge (flashing left to right) - looks just like it's charging. Also getting battery errors as seen in pics. Any suggestions (other than a paperweight)? Firmware is current. Discharge time set for 3 days (as are the other batteries).

ZqWWHmN.jpg

ZNVxq16.jpg

Last edited:
ETA.... I left it running in my old P4 (I was worried about it burning up my P4P). After about 15 minutes, it turned completely off by itself. I held my breath and tried turning it on again... runs perfectly now. Just needed a little discharge, I guess. The broken (red) cell is all better now and bright green. The battery cycles properly and shows 100%. These things make me nervous!!! All I could think about was "If it fails, it falls".:(

ETA - Part II - spoke too soon. When I took the battery from my P4 and put it in my P4P, it did the same goofy stuff - starting in its own. I left it running and after about a minute, it rebooted about 4 times on its own and finally turned itself off. I tried starting it again (as I did with the P4) and it appears to be working fine. What the heck?? Was the battery searching for the updated firmware on both the P4 and P4P?? Go figure. Still a happy ending.:)

Last edited:
Glad it worked out. If it were me, I think I’d use the other four good batteries, and save the ‘suspect cell battery’ for ground testing only.

My thinking is, if it failed once......?! Not worth risking the bird on a questionable battery.

Glad it worked out. If it were me, I think I’d use the other four good batteries, and save the ‘suspect cell battery’ for ground testing only.

My thinking is, if it failed once......?! Not worth risking the bird on a questionable battery.
Fortunately, DJI has it set up so that it won't even take off. Nice fail-safe. I'll use it as my battery of last resort. I think I'll take it out and let it hover about 1 foot above a nice grassy area just to let it burn through that charge - then recharge it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31