P4 Worse than P3P with Prop interference

Reaction score
After seeing some P4 videos it appears the extreme angles of attack in S mode are going to be problematic to keep the props out of the video. With P3 I can pitch the camera down about 15 degrees so the horizon barely shows and you didn't have to worry about props getting in the video so much. This pitch trick would eliminate about 95% of the problem. However with P4 it appears the controls are very sensitive in S mode, and the 15 degree pitch down trick isn't enough to solve the problem, given the sensitivity in S mode and angle of attack capability. Using P mode in the P4 appears to be the only way to mitigate the problem, however that's limited to 22mph, 30% slower than P3. That's a problem that may need to be solved. With P3 I can generally do 32mph with the horizon barely showing without props in the view. To do that reliably with P4 is going to be difficult I think. What are you guys finding out on this subject?

Last edited:
Dual Expo & sensitivity settings for S-mode with another for the other modes might be one possible solution.

After seeing some P4 videos it appears the extreme angles of attack in S mode are going to be problematic to keep the props out of the video. With P3 I can pitch the camera down about 15 degrees so the horizon barely shows and you didn't have to worry about props getting in the video so much. This pitch trick would eliminate about 95% of the problem. However with P4 it appears the controls are very sensitive in S mode, and the 15 degree pitch down trick isn't enough to solve the problem, given the sensitivity in S mode and angle of attack capability. Using P mode in the P4 appears to be the only way to mitigate the problem, however that's limited to 22mph, 30% slower than P3. That's a problem that needs solved. With P3 I can generally do 32mph with the horizon barely showing without props in the view. To do that reliably with P4 is going to be difficult I think. What are you guys finding out on this subject?

Last edited:
Reactions: bradbrok
The angle of attack is what causes the p4 in sport mode to go so fast. I mean seeing my p4 going 50mph is astounding! I have noticed in p mode on the p4 it is easier to shoot smoother video with the speed being slower. All in all I think that you shouldn't try to shoot quality video with sport mode haha

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: bradbrok
Just fly backwards, or left/right in S mode! The blades appear to hit the horizon line in S mode, so I'm unsure how else it could be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just been on a flight. Haven't adjusted the Expo (everything is on the default settings), and there are no hints of any blades on my video.

I will never go for serious photography in Sports mode so not so much concerned about props images appearing in camera's view.

After 4 months of flying my P4 I kept thinking this craft is worse than P3P for props in view, AT ANY SPEED. I remember people in the forum say..... "oh yeah, DJI mounted the motors higher so there is less prop interference in the camera view." We've all heard this propaganda, right?

After measuring things I learned this claim is FALSE. I don't know where that notion came from, but if DJI made such statements, it's simply not true. The motors are the exact same height in relation to the landing gear. However the MOTORS ARE LOWER in relation to the camera lens, about 9mm lower!! This is huge, and it explains why I've experience more problems with P4 props in the view than my P3P, even when I have my P4 in P mode with OA off, mimicking P3P speed and behavior. See the comparison photos below.

0809162111a_HDR.jpg
0809162113_HDR.jpg
0809162114_HDR.jpg

This isn't an S mode issue, the P4 camera is physically closer to the props than P3, hindering captures in any mode, more than P3. It's a step backwards in visual clearance of prop interference. I'm going to do some more measuring and testing to compare both craft side by side with motors off. My hunch is P4 shows props in the camera a couple degrees of tilt sooner than P3.

This isn't an S mode issue, the P4 camera is physically closer to the props than P3, hindering captures in any mode, more than P3. It's a step backwards in visual clearance of prop interference. I'm going to do some more measuring and testing to compare both craft side by side with motors off. My hunch is P4 shows props in the camera a couple degrees of tilt sooner than P3.
This and other reasons are why I don't have hope in DJI righting all wrongs with the next model or two. If they tout the new design and it is obvious it doesn't work or even help, then I have little faith what's next.

Also, I mostly fly in P Mode, and I mostly fly with a central horizon while on my distance runs. Because of that, I'm regularly getting props in view. Isn't there a "Prop Delete" feature button in someone's editor?

If your just filming landscape the best bet is to fly backwards. Then in post production just playback in reverse you get exactly the same effect.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using PhantomPilots mobile app
Unfortunately that option doesn't work most the time for me, with birds, waterfalls, waves, boats, cars, planes and other animals going backwards in post as a result. It's rare that one of these thing don't appear in my videos, I do a lot of coastal ocean captures.

One word for you guys. Inspire.
Yep, I'll get one of those with X5 after my 107 cert is acquired. Maybe an Inspire 2 in September. But Inspire isn't for most, it's only for business apps IMO. It's too big, too long to setup, can't carry onto airplanes for vacations, can't backpack it, shorter flight times, more expensive batteries..... etc. You really need a second person to take advantage of the real capability, and that's a whole new realm. A very nice craft, but not good for 98% of the folks. I never recommend it for these reasons. Anyone that's ready for an Inspire knows it, they don't need a recommendation. If they don't know it, they're not ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilsonFlyer

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie