P4 vs. P3 profesional

Whats better for the money?

• Total voters
Reaction score
So I was originally thinking about getting the Phantom 4 but the price tag is pretty high at $1400 and with the Phantom 3 profession dropping price at $800, it is looking more appealing. This is my first expensive drone, I have had cheap small quad which i guess don't really count as flying experience. The main reason I wanted the P4 was because of the crash avoidance software and as it seems features that make it much easier to fly. But with the P3 being cheaper i could afford more batteries and more than just the stock case that the P4 comes with. So I really am not sure which drone I should get, are all of the flying and safety features worth the extra $600??

Thanks to all.

I struggled with that question, too. I just bought a Phantom 4 a couple of weeks ago. It's my first UAS.

I had been thinking about getting a UAS, specifically a Phantom for several years, but the crash avoidance was the thing that finally made me pull the trigger. I totally understand the limitations. It only works in forward flight, it will miss things like wires or tree branches, and so on, but that extra layer of safety made me willing to spend the money.

I suspect the price of the Phantom 4 will drop in the next six months or so. That seems to be a common practice from having watched the pricing of previous versions. However, there's a value in having it now that was worth the price to me. So I bought the P4, the DJI Care, and an extra battery.

What about buying a used P3 and using it for six months or so, then selling it and upgrading? I suspect a fair number of people are upgrading to P4s right now and want to sell their P3s. Another idea.

I don't think there's a right answer here. If there is one, I sure don't have it. I'm just telling you my thought process. Good luck either way!

Reactions: liketogethigh
I based my choice on how they do it rather than what they do. P3 and P4 other that AO do pretty mutch the same thing. We all use our cars to get from point A to B, but would you rather get there in a Cadilac? For me to spend this sum of cash on a item it must have other value than just doing things. I beleive P4 is better built, fuselage, gimble, motors and fit and finish are mutch better than P3. This improvement in the build should make the craft a more reliable craft long term. I think that my dollar for time used will be greater with the P4. To upgade from a P3, I don't think is worth it for the small improvements the P4 can offer. I have looked at the two since P4 came out and since I do not have any dji products just cheap quads (lotsa fun). I have finaly made a choice thanks to many of you guy's sharing your experiences. I just ordered a P4 with 3 extra batteries, hdmi output, headplay, hard case and some other stuff and spare parts. It should be here Tuesday. I think maybe I should book a day off! Thank you fellow flyers, this is partially your fault, let the fun begin!

P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 P4 or you could get the P3. I have both and both are cool. P4 build quality is hands down way better and more features. But some people might not care about quality.

I based my choice on how they do it rather than what they do. P3 and P4 other that AO do pretty mutch the same thing. We all use our cars to get from point A to B, but would you rather get there in a Cadilac? For me to spend this sum of cash on a item it must have other value than just doing things. I beleive P4 is better built, fuselage, gimble, motors and fit and finish are mutch better than P3. This improvement in the build should make the craft a more reliable craft long term. I think that my dollar for time used will be greater with the P4. To upgade from a P3, I don't think is worth it for the small improvements the P4 can offer. I have looked at the two since P4 came out and since I do not have any dji products just cheap quads (lotsa fun). I have finaly made a choice thanks to many of you guy's sharing your experiences. I just ordered a P4 with 3 extra batteries, hdmi output, headplay, hard case and some other stuff and spare parts. It should be here Tuesday. I think maybe I should book a day off! Thank you fellow flyers, this is partially your fault, let the fun begin!
it will take you more than a day to charge all your batterys and do all the firmware up dates and calabrations.

I have both p3p and p4.
if someone would give me the right amount of money I would sell the p3p with 4 batterys.

I would buy a 3 then save up and get the 5 next year just my thoughts

Your right Dirby all the installes will take time and the batteries. Also I want to root my samsung tab 4 in order to take out all the included garbage in this thing. The risk is always to brick the tablet. I think I will bring to work and pay our IT guy to do it.

For me it's the P4 for now and wait for the inspirer 2 ( rumors) 2 cameras one for the pilot and the 360 gimbal for photography and hopefully a longer flight time.

P4's crash avoidance system is nice. What I really like is the dual IMUs, compasses and the processor that error checks the data received. This should eliminate those flyaways and random erratic behavior experienced in the P3s.

The lowered price of the P3s are tempting. I just keep reading these horror stories of flyaways. It's the ghost in the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
P4's crash avoidance system is nice. What I really like is the dual IMUs, compasses and the processor that error checks the data received. This should eliminate those flyaways and erratic random behavior experienced in the P3s.

What fly aways.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: flpholt
yeah I don't ever hear about fly aways

One of the better compare videos if you have ~21minutes.

I have P3P, I have P4 I'll have P5 when it becomes available. The P4 is worth the price today as the P3P was worth the $1250 and when the P5 can be had for $1550 I'm betting I'll think it is worth that aswell...IMHO, DJI has a good track record for making price valued improvements.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I struggled with that question, too. I just bought a Phantom 4 a couple of weeks ago. It's my first UAS.

I had been thinking about getting a UAS, specifically a Phantom for several years, but the crash avoidance was the thing that finally made me pull the trigger. I totally understand the limitations. It only works in forward flight, it will miss things like wires or tree branches, and so on, but that extra layer of safety made me willing to spend the money.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!

It will avoid wires (telephone/power) wires? This has not been shown - at least I have not seen it anywhere yet, many statements to the contrary.

I personally am waiting for the P5, which will hopefully have obstacle avoidance on the sides and rear (way more important in my opinion).

I had pre-ordered another maker's drone in December, but that company still hasn't released any product, and they say they won't until later this year. I HATE waiting for things due to extreme impatience, so when I handled the P4 in a Houston Apple Store during Spring Break, I knew I had to have it. The bird and the RC appeared to be a jump up in sophistication to the level that made me change my mind toward DJI, which I looked at the time as "Pepsi" when I was a "Coke" guy.

Before pre-ordering the other drone, I had researched hard for a while, but DJI wasn't my choice. The P4, with the OCA, the new and better materials, dual IMUs, longer flight time, the internal mounted gimbal, the micro SD card slot being on the side of the bird...and the immediate availability, killed my desire for the other unreleased drone. I'm sure that other company is holding their release because their drone didn't have OCA, which to me, is now a standard feature for a GPS drone. I wouldn't be surprised they will have to equip their birds with this new feature before their release if they desire to wade into the drone market with a prayer.

When I got home, I called my dealer(Aces Deals in NY-Peter is a great guy), and he graciously changed my order, telling me that I wasn't even close to the first to jump ship from that other company for the P4.

Just like anything else, personal preference is most important. Do what you can to get exactly what you want within reason. Good luck!

Reactions: Isaac Pittman
This will help. [emoji1]
ae2af5748f08796ddc336c515c9a3a0d.jpg

Did this reply find a wormhole in pp.com...weird.

This will help charge up 3 batteries [emoji1]
ae2af5748f08796ddc336c515c9a3a0d.jpg

Wow that looks awesome! where did you buy that? and how long does it take to charge all of them at the same time? although not sure why this is in this thread

Do you all use the active track and tap to fly? those plus the obstacle avoidance seem to be main selling features.

P4's crash avoidance system is nice. What I really like is the dual IMUs, compasses and the processor that error checks the data received. This should eliminate those flyaways and random erratic behavior experienced in the P3s.

The lowered price of the P3s are tempting. I just keep reading these horror stories of flyaways. It's the ghost in the machine.

Fly always are mainly caused by user error. Very rarely are they as a result of machine error.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31