P4 to Mavic?

Reaction score
So, I've been a little behind on drone tech, the mavic caught me by surprise just after watching the GoPro karma on YouTube.

Now, I'm seriously considering selling my p4 for a mavic. What interests me most was the form factor and portability of the Mavic.

Anyone else considering the Mavic, why or why not?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yeah I'm looking at the Mavic specs now myself thinking the same thing.... its kinda shocking for $1000. What am I missing?

Mavics are for chicks! There have been lots of small drones. Parrots , Bebops and smaller. Its a small P4 true. If you need portability true. Keep you P4 and fly it like a man! LOL. I can hardly wait to pick up a 2 hour P4 for pennies on the dollar. Just like I got my P3's. You should consider why you fly drones, do you fly for fun, or do you buy the newest things always? The worst thing about DJI is there customer service, now it will just get worse and worse. Anyway, this is just my opinion. But then again, I don't have unlimited funds! My P3S and P3A are just great for me!

Last edited:
Mavics are for chicks! There have been lots of small drones. Parrots , Bebops and smaller. Its a small P4 true. If you need portability true. Keep you P4 and fly it like a man! LOL. I can hardly wait to pick up a 2 hour P4 for pennies on the dollar. Just like I got my P3's. You should consider why you fly drones, do you fly for fun, or do you buy the newest things always? The worst thing about DJI is there customer service, now it will just get worse and worse. Anyway, this is just my opinion. But then again, I don't have unlimited funds! My P3S and P3A are just great for me!
To me a Mavic is like a Miata (chick car) - A P4 is like a SUV - A Inspire is like a pick up - Matrix is like a big diesel dually . And those big military drones are just like big military drones!

Mavic will definitely attract all: it's cheaper and packed with all great features, 27 minutes flying time, 5 miles range wow. It would be a fun toy.

Last edited:
I agree Light and I'm getting one also .
Also we have a Mavic section guys . And all Threads about Mavics go there now so that's where you can find this one .
Is also the featured thread so you can read more there also .

No need for the "Chick Drone" comments gang. We're better than that so let's try and act like it :)

Reactions: jryser
I was about to get the P4 tomorrow and just went through the Mavic.
Now i am really in doubt.
Can somebody tell me which is the better one to go for now?
And what about the camera?

Well, if the camera's just as good, I'm getting one. So far, we know the features quite similar to the P4. I'm just not too keen on carrying a suit case around all the time.

This is where drone tech is heading compact form factor without compromising on features and flight performance.

Reactions: kphantom
My opinion is the same for this as it would be for any flying we might do. It depends on the mission. I think the Mavic will be a different market all together. There will be places for each UAV - and I think that these are designed NOT to compete. I would use my P3P for filming others for a hunting trip, but the Mavic for filming myself dragging a deer out, for example. The smaller the flying platform the less stable the footage; although the Mavic has a lot of good features to keep it stable. It will be intersting to see the different results.

Sent from my PT beating heart

Reactions: nightpirate
From the few reviews I've seen on YouTube it's a solid bird, but it's not quite as robust as the P4. I imagine it will take a few months to get some solid feedback after they've been flown and tested by the DJI hobbyist / pro community.

Winter is going toe just around the corner here in Chicago. I'll wait to see how it is and maybe pick one up in the spring. I'll enjoy my P3P for the time being.

Reactions: Phantom George
I'm in the burbs of Chicago and was just thinking the same thing, I'll also wait till Apple gets it and get my 10% off from them

After watching DigitaRev the IQ on the Mavic isnt that good as P4.. I thought the sensor is same size as the p4..
On Casey Neistat video it looks very soft.. Maybe he smudged some cream on the lens Hahha..

Inspire = DSLR, pain to setup, no portability but professional results.
Phantom 3/4 = point and shoot camera, ok to setup ok portability with decent results.
Mavic = iPhone, selfie drone, easy to setup, bring anywhere but sacrifice a little bit of image quality.

Question at the end of the day - Think of the smart phones we have, would you rather capture the moment and lose slight image quality or would prefer to miss the moment completely??

The first video I watched was Jon Olsson and it looked **** good. Likely some post processing, but it shows what can be done with the mavic.

Time an range like any dji product you can half it pretty much. I'll wait till everyone tests it an their firmware before I buy . By that time the way there going it'll be close to 500 .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik