P4? So glad I did not buy it.

Reaction score
I have read with a lot of interest the thoughts, experiences and problems some of you have been having with the new P4. A significant number of you have been returning them.

So glad I waited. A combination of manufacturing and soft/firmware problems seem to have plagued this release.

On paper it sounded so good. Some of the new features like collision avoidance and the tracker mode made it very tempting. Extended battery life, which looks to be a false claim.

So thank you for publishing your views on the new model. They have helped me, and probably others, know we made the right choice in waiting. :) No doubt the P4A, or whatever, will be out soon.

so a minute % of buyers have issues - im surprised you buy anything at all with that outlook !

the vast majority who are flying without issues are enjoying themselves, but you can always sit and wait for the "perfect" drone, then wonder why you have gone through life and never bought one ;)

so a minute % of buyers have issues - im surprised you buy anything at all with that outlook !

the vast majority who are flying without issues are enjoying themselves, but you can always sit and wait for the "perfect" drone, then wonder why you have gone through life and never bought one ;)

On that same concept, people are always quick to complain for a service (such as cellphone service) but not so quick to preach its good things or when things go as expected. Meaning you see a lot of issues talked about, but at the same time i bet there are a staggering number of other users who are going about their business enjoying their P4 and getting whats expected. But they arent the ones filling up forum threads, so when you mostly get exposed to the bad eggs being reported, sometimes thats all certain people see.

Unfortunelty if you have been here for a while dji have not had good launches of new products.
A little patience, the bugs get sorted, the price drops.

Reactions: John N Kronyak
It's called being an "informed consumer" --- and you should be be proud that you are one.

I will NEVER understand the blind loyalty to a particular company or brand. Makes absolutely no sense in a global marketplace. The very fundamental concept of free market capitalism encourages consumers to be rational and objective in their purchasing decisions in order to weed out the bad products and bad companies. It's natural selection as a business model.

:D

Last edited:
I absolutely love mine. Have gone out 2 miles still with full bars and with constant flying have gotten 23 minutes with 15% battery left. I've seen a friends P3 and you can't even compare the build quality. Your the only 1 losing out by only reading negative reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would have figured that DJI has put enough of these phantoms out to have it down by now. Seem they over reached on some things like battery times and range. Other than this, Im sure they will figure it out in a few months.

My thoughts exactly. Every forum on here is beset with issues, p1/2/3/4. I've had a few myself.
I get that some people are upset that the figures don't tally, i get that some people feel decieved, I totally get that some feel that the p3p is better but most of that is subjective.
Hardly any objective opinions hereabouts.

Is the p4 a good drone with good features, a good camera and gimbal.is the build quality good. Well heck yes, it's a fantastic quad.

Will it meet your needs, is it better than your xyz craft? Only you can decide.

Reactions: gmann21133
It's called being an "informed consumer" --- and you should be be proud that you are one.

I will NEVER understand the blind loyalty to a particular company or brand. Makes absolutely no sense in a global marketplace. The very fundamental concept of free market capitalism encourages consumers to be rational and objective in their purchasing decisions in order to weed out the bad products and bad companies. It's natural selection as a business model.

:D
Well there are many things all of us will never understand. But we are talking about a UAV manufactured by currently the best UAV company in the world. It's not really a subject of how capitalism works,or blind loyalty, rather a company that makes a great product that people enjoy using. Seems to me capitalism is working fine in this example.

Loving mine!
See Kman loves his and he swore he wouldn't get one till he was sure the cracking problem was solved. Bocephus-73 has been on this form complaining about the P4 not having optical zoom thread after thread when he wasn't going to get one from the start. He just wants to put down everyone who got one. It's a hobby for Gods sake. Read the threads from Kman and Dirty Birds and others.. They take the time to work through the short comings and make this the best Phantom ever.

Mine has flown flawlessly. Stable, boots up quickly, boot up sound is much less unpleasant than previous DJI products (also own DJI 550 and phantom vision 2). My 550 has Lightbridge, using futaba 14sg. I like the phantom 4 much better.

Picture and video quality are great, app works well, has tons of features.
Range seems totally acceptable for me. I've had mine 3000 feet away with rock solid signal, despite orientation of phantom (facing away, facing towards home, etc). I'm confident it can go a mile. Frankly I see no need for super extended range, other than bragging rights.

Had no issues installing firmware updates.

I'm getting roughly 25 minutes till 10% battery level, flying mixture of sport and gps.

Sure I have a few minor gripes, but that's more likely a lack of experience with the DJI go app.

It seems very well made, engineered. Appears much more durable, of much greater quality than previous DJI products.

Most that post on these type sites are complaining. Those that think the thing is great are out flying it (I'm sick with flu, hence my having time to post this positive review).

I'd suspect that most negative nellies are looking for negative posts, writing negative posts because they are envious and/or have just bought a phantom 3 and are unable to return.

The Phantom 4 is a game changer. Apple is featuring the Phantom 4, something they they have never done for a non Apple product, until the phantom 4. Love or hate Apple products, no one can argue about their build quality, well designed and beautiful build/appearance, functionality.

Apple would not have featured the Phantom 4 unless Apple saw it equivalent to one of their own products.

Last edited:
Frank, I have followed your thread "Frank's Story" from the start, loved it. As you found out there was a lot to learn about the P3 and it sounds like you had a good time, frankly chomping at the bit to get out and learn and try the next thing. That's what this is, a new thing to try and learn about. Like anything else it has it's good and it's bad. It's working through the bad that's the fun. If you have the money and time it's well worth the journey.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair