P4 prop guards and obstacle avoidance

Reaction score
I must be missing something, so I'm hoping someone can help me understand this.

The P4 prop guards from DJI defeat the forward vision system, forcing off the obstacle avoidance system.

I can always turn off obstacle avoidance myself (I don't use it much at all), but what might be the rationale for forcing it off when the prop guards are installed?!

It seems to me, if anything, you're more likely to want the obstacle avoidance features on when you have prop guards installed; you're likely flying in a challenging environment where there's risk of clipping something like a tree.

I often fly in jungle where I need to maneuver around trees and have to find a small hole in the canopy to get above. Sure, you do your best to use your eyes and FPV, but sometimes it's just not possible to avoid clipping a branch and prop guards can make the difference from a little bump and a crash. Sometimes it's a mangrove forest where a crash also means a dip in the water.

I should say (to avoid the anticipated "you should fly in open spaces, always LOS..." replies), I am not flying this way in the US, nor in any country or territory where it is not allowed, and I always get required permits or permission.

Thanks,

Ken

The obstacle avoidance system detects the props as obstacles, so it must be disabled.

I don't use guards much. When I do, I have aftermarket guards that do not turn off the avoidance system, and it flys fine.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The obstacle avoidance system detects the props as obstacles, so it must be disabled.

It's a challenge to the imagination how this was considered an acceptable design compromise. Hmmm... I had a hunch that this might be the reason, but it seemed so unlikely I ruled it out.

Anyone have a line on the aftermarket props mentioned that work well and don't shut down obstacle avoidance?

Thanks,
Ken

I don't use guards much. When I do, I have aftermarket guards that do not turn off the avoidance system, and it flys fine.

Got a link to the ones that are working for you?

I found a source in China that claims that they don't affect OAS, but it takes about a month to ship to me in the US and I have a month-long shoot coming up in a couple weeks out of country where there is no mail system.

Someone in another post said he removed the painted black bands on the guards and that worked for him.

Look on Amazon. They are 2 piece. The guard fits over/around the motor and has a clip that snaps on underneath. Around $20.00. Can get all white or 2 red and 2 white.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl