P4 on race track.

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I did not invest on P4 yet, but would love to know more details and opportunities with this bird.
1. Can I make money using P4 to record videos over the race track, with its autonomous flying feature, we can keep it outside the asphalt. I called one of the track day event organizer (STT) and they rejected me, as per insurance issues.
2. How fast will the P4 can fly on autonomous mode?
I'm planning to take it to the mountains and when I ride my motorcycle on the twisties roads*, I want it to follow me. As of now, I ride less than a 3 digit number, but soon hoping to improve.
3. How reliable is the autonomous mode, as of now? Will new firmware improve better detection and maintaining the tracking or are there any know problems, that the current hardware cannot help?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

* roads examples:
US 181, North Carolina, Brown Mountain.
Blue ridge parkway,
Cherohala Skyway(GA or NC border)
or similar roads.

how does a post like this even get written? You are considering buying a 1500 dollar drone and don't know anything about it...

I'm sorry it's just interesting to me that people are clueless and can't do any research... the track question, he answered himself... the speed in autonomous mode, any spec listing tells you this as well as any review, keeping up with a motorcycle at less that triple digit speeds? I mean i'm sorry but come onnnnnn lol

What type of racing? Look up the top speed in ActiveTrack. I think it's something like 25 mph so depending on the track layout, you might have success at high altitudes. A buddy of mine wants me to track his car (1/8 mile racing) but no way it will keep up. I'll have to have some altitude and even then it may still not be fast enough.

Reactions: MichaelS
Active track will do nothing well other than follow you while walking or jogging. It easily loses subjects as well.... which they show in nearly every video review.

I'm sorry it's just interesting to me that people are clueless and can't do any research... the track question, he answered himself... the speed in autonomous mode, any spec listing tells you this as well as any review, keeping up with a motorcycle at less that triple digit speeds? I mean i'm sorry but come onnnnnn lol
You're still doing it.

Reactions: Purog
I read somewhere that if you circle (with the aircraft) the subject once to allow ActiveTrack to fully capture its form that it does a better job of tracking. I was tracking my son on his bicycle one time and he got close enough to me that it began to track me instead. I also noticed that altitude is relative to subject size. I can take the aircraft higher while tracking a vehicle than I can a person.

eeab2d9979c5ee8b11a6c3e24bda0a4e.jpg

Today 58.7MPH

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Raja777m
Thanks MichealS and Chopstix Kid for your answers and support.

Maseman88: I strictly believe a million mile journey starts with that very **** single first step.
P4 is like a bicycle with training wheels.
1. Racetrack, is a closed course and by the time you see the bike in one direction, within the next few seconds, the vehicle will be in the other direction, so, from a long distance, the drone with 4k coverage, so, following me won't be an issue at all.
2. While coming to the roads, I may have a small mis-communication, about the speed, I know it cannot follow me autonomously at the speed of the bike, but again, it is twisties and the drone goes in a straight line.

And can't do any research? WTH, I'm asking you a question, that is called research.
re·search
ˈrēˌsərCH,rəˈsərCH/

noun.
  1. The systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions.
So, I asked a question and someone will answer, please tell me your definition of the word research.

As per track day, only one company/organization rejected me, I'm wondering anyone else knew any other organization that allows drones on the track for their event.

Anyway, I'll try to remember your name and not to waste my time arguing with you anymore.
Thanks for your perspective anyway.

Let's not be dramatic... Everyone needs to get a grip on their feelings. Anyways, since you enjoy motorcycles... Here's something to give you an idea for your footage. Quit yer cryin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2Times
That looks cool, if in case any track org allows me, that speed is enough, due to the manuevarings.
That speed is bs... Only get speed like that in a tailwind. Him posting that in here did nothing but spread false info.

What type of racing? Look up the top speed in ActiveTrack. I think it's something like 25 mph so depending on the track layout, you might have success at high altitudes. A buddy of mine wants me to track his car (1/8 mile racing) but no way it will keep up. I'll have to have some altitude and even then it may still not be fast enough.
Similar to these:
Raja Ram Mummadavarapu

Yes, I understand drag races cannot be captured using the drone, as of now, but the twisties and turns on the track and roads shouldn't be much of a problem. I see a potential business if such tracking is successful.

I filmed police on a training track practicing the PITT manuver. They hit speeds up to 50 on the straights and started to pull away from me, but I caught up to th lead car on the turns. I could not get the active track to stay on the car. I had better luck flying in atti mode and im sure if I switched to sport mode I could have kept up. Im sure though the props would have been in the shot in sport mode. I had great luck going higher to film th cars and had no problem following.
As far as the **** that made those comments, ignore him. We all started out as a beginner and you have a right to buy anthing you want. He probably flies a 3dr solo or yuneec and is a phantom hater...lol
Be careful how you make money with drones. Apply for the AMA insurance at least. Good luck an feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

I filmed police on a training track practicing the PITT manuver. They hit speeds up to 50 on the straights and started to pull away from me, but I caught up to th lead car on the turns. I could not get the active track to stay on the car. I had better luck flying in atti mode and im sure if I switched to sport mode I could have kept up. Im sure though the props would have been in the shot in sport mode. I had great luck going higher to film th cars and had no problem following.
As far as the **** that made those comments, ignore him. We all started out as a beginner and you have a right to buy anthing you want. He probably flies a 3dr solo or yuneec and is a phantom hater...lol
Be careful how you make money with drones. Apply for the AMA insurance at least. Good luck an feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Oh, that is nice, I had a conversation with John Locke and he was explaining about AMA and FAA. He explained it very well, but, this is beginning, so, I have to dig a little deeper to get more idea on such stuff.
As the riding season is up, my friend and I thought we could start a business, just like the photography industry who takes pictures of us/bikers on the tracks and on roads.

The black FZ6 is mine and the red one is my buddy:
Camera 1: Nakeds - Streets (4/23/16) | BE1_0474

I started practicing basic controls on Parrot Minidrone, just to get feel of controlling the drone. I'm pretty sure I can pick up well in a few weeks time.

Thanks for the support guys.

Like Justgregg noted, ATTI mode might be what you need. However if you are new like me, you'll need to work up to the skill to be able to track a race. Bikes are small so you may not be able to get more than 100 feet altitude before ActiveTrack looses the subject. At that distance, they'll likely outrun the aircraft in fairly short distance. But hey, I'd say go out on give it test whirl. You'll never know what you and the P4 CAN do unless you try!

Reactions: Raja777m

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl