P4 low battery warning @ 72%, set @ 20% in settings

Reaction score
Hi all, I just went out and flew my P4 running newest firmware ( i kno peeps want it listed to be sure), I have been flying a while on this fw with my mini ipad 2 and had no issues. After a coupleof fly bys I decided to shoot out to a distance I have flown many times before. When I got too 5500 feet out and 200 feet up, I heard the low battery warning, when I looked down battery said 72%. Needless to say I turned around and with my heart pumping I flew straight back home. There was a side wind, my P4 was tilting to compensate for it when it was coming in, and I was flying in sport mode, not sure if that had anything to do with it. I landed, restarted my bird still 58% battery life, and flew around a bit more, not too far out this time, but dudnt get the low battery warning untill it hit what its set @, I have low battery warning set @ 20% and critical warning @ 10%. Looking @ battery setting when this happened, and checking advanced setting, showed me everything was fine, even tho the low battery warning came up @ 72%, it was quite scary to be that far out and get that warning, any idea as to why this may have happened?

It sounds like the warning from the Smart RTH feature. You'll be able to see more detailed information about your flight if you upload your TXT flight log here. Post a link back here if you'd like us to comment on it.

Just looked @ the flight data on my mini, its broken into 2 separate flights, 1 ends @ 73% battery, then they other one begins, now thats about when I got the battery warning... I noticed that the scroll where it shows you time remaining on battery inflight, and Home position, there was yellow between the two, where is normally green, I guess thats the indication of why I got the warning. Is this something I should be concerned about, or a way to correct it. Hopefully its a 1 time thing... whats the possibility of fly away or crashing my P4 if this happens again?

whats the possibility of fly away or crashing my P4 if this happens again?
I've never heard of a Phantom flying away due to a low battery. The battery could shut off mid-flight if it's too low to get the Phantom to the ground safely. However, that's a rare occurrence and it only seems to happen when pilots hold the throttle up to prevent the Phantom from auto landing.

Similiar thing happened to me with my P3P. Was out about 5300ft at 400ft altitude and the go app initiated a RTH on its own due to low battery. It was at 65% left, all cell voltages were within specs. When the AC got back to about 2000ft out I cancelled the RTH and continued flying down to the 20% and landed with no problem. This happened about 3 times. Last night i was out over 2 miles on 4 flights using all of my 4 batteries with no issues. I'm thinking a glitch in the app. I might add that I fly very hard. I wouldn"t worry about it if all your battery specs are normal. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this!!!

Similiar thing happened to me with my P3P. Was out about 5300ft at 400ft altitude and the go app initiated a RTH on its own due to low battery. It was at 65% left, all cell voltages were within specs. When the AC got back to about 2000ft out I cancelled the RTH and continued flying down to the 20% and landed with no problem. This happened about 3 times. Last night i was out over 2 miles on 4 flights using all of my 4 batteries with no issues. I'm thinking a glitch in the app. I might add that I fly very hard. I wouldn"t worry about it if all your battery specs are normal. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this!!!
I landed and then restarted my drone, I dont like seeing that battery warning, and was worried it might drop from the sky... maybe I was over reacting... I was looking to go much further, but once that warning popped up I high tailed it home... funny you say u fly hard cuz I was in sport mode, with a nice side wind, and I had thought maybe I was just pushing to hard and the battery wasnt liking it

I've never heard of a Phantom flying away due to a low battery. The battery could shut off mid-flight if it's too low to get the Phantom to the ground safely. However, that's a rare occurrence and it only seems to happen when pilots hold the throttle up to prevent the Phantom from auto landing.
didnt really think it would fly away, just more crashing or landing far away, even tho it had lots of life left in battery. Wasnt sure if the low battery warning would over look the fact that I had more then half left and it would land

didnt really think it would fly away, just more crashing or landing far away, even tho it had lots of life left in battery. Wasnt sure if the low battery warning would over look the fact that I had more then half left and it would land
Like I said before each of the three times it happened I continued to fly down to 20% with no problems. I still think it was a false reading. All of my battery histories on all 4 batteries show normal!!

Wasnt sure if the low battery warning would over look the fact that I had more then half left and it would land
I couldn't be sure without seeing your flight log, but I'm assuming your Phantom was telling you to turn back so you had enough battery to make it back to the home point. If that was the case, that's different than a low battery warning.

I couldn't be sure without seeing your flight log, but I'm assuming your Phantom was telling you to turn back so you had enough battery to make it back to the home point. If that was the case, that's different than a low battery warning.

it was saying low battery warning, up top were it normally says safe to fly, I used 28% battery to get out there, and when I returned back from the warning it still had 58% remaining, after shut down and restart the warning didnt return till after 20% threshold were the warning is set in my app... It cut to two flight records for some reason. Record stops out @ the 73% marck ( 5500 feet out) then starts a new flight log out there for the return flight home... weird, might post logs later

This is how i crashed my P3P... Low battery voltage at 50%, rth took over within 10secs, i was able to lower it as it started to get away from me but ended up flying towards a tree to avoid cyclist coming towards me.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Hello all, I have a P3P and would like all opinions on the best low battery, critically low battery settings without putting to much strain on the battery also without putting the bird in too much danger of falling out the sky. I want to get as much flying time in without the worrying. More then likely I would bring it back at low battery. I did a hover test and got 16 minutes in moderate wind about 5ft AGL and at critical low at about 23% it just landed, I believe this is correct as opposed to RTH because I was at the home point. Should I be getting more time on my battery?? Or is the settings what I need to tweak??? Thx

That would make the most sense and is probably correct.

The OP stated that he was 5500 feet out and the apparent logic of the battery is that it needs to return now to make sure it comes all the way back.

As usual, I've tested this type of behavior in closer with low battery levels and can duplicate it by running outbound on low battery until it gets the battery warning. Turn around and come back and all is well. Turn it around and speed outbound again and the battery will warn again.

AD

Reactions: DanMan32
That would make the most sense and is probably correct.

The OP stated that he was 5500 feet out and the apparent logic of the battery is that it needs to return now to make sure it comes all the way back.

As usual, I've tested this type of behavior in closer with low battery levels and can duplicate it by running outbound on low battery until it gets the battery warning. Turn around and come back and all is well. Turn it around and speed outbound again and the battery will warn again.

AD
I had my first smart RTH event this week after one 5 Klm round trip and then another out to about 1.5klm and got the warning. Still had 50% left on the battery and brought it back crapping myself until I realised what was going on. I took it out again as you have described and back the warning came and went etc. I won't be turning that feature off just yet.

FYI you can enable GO app option "Show voltage" to display the voltage of the lowest cell, intelligent battery management being rather based on voltage than percentage.

This might eventually help to correlate with the behaviors reported in this thread (knowing that "low voltage error" warning can be also displayed).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik