P4+Headplay+HDMI Module - aspect ratio

Reaction score
Just got P3 HDMI module for my P4. I plug Headplay goggles in and notice the picture is squished horizontally. I checked in the goggles menu - SCALE is set to FULL (not 4:3). Is it by design or is it consequences of 600 pixels horizontal resolution of headplay?

I attach 3 photos.
First is taken from my tablet - circle (Nutella cap :)) in the middle is almost perfect.

IMG_20170905_205726-sm.jpg

Second is photo taken from TV connected to HDMI module - also almost perfectly round.
IMG_20170905_205551-sm.jpg

Third is what Headplay screen shows. Oval instead of circle.
IMG_20170905_210110-sm.jpg

Does anyone notice this?

I have an HDMI module installed on my P3P.

This may not be the cause - but I believe that I'm right in saying that the P3 HDMI module outputs at 16:10. Most headsets and goggles automatically adjust themselves to this and the output usually looks quite OK. However, I was 'lucky' enough to buy the first version of Eachine goggles, Eachine Goggles One, and this is one of the few which doesn't seem to be able to automatically compensate correctly for the 16:10 output.

The result for me is that I get severe cropping, with a cut-off of the flight data at the top and bottom of the screen (see here Eachine Goggles One 5 Inches 5.8G 40CH Raceband HD 1080p HDMI FPV Goggles Video Glasses for more details) which is d*mned annoying. Eachine never did do a fix for it, but just moved quickly on to Eachine Goggles 2.

But even so I'm surprised that you are getting any problems with Headplays, which were at one time being heavily recommended here and elsewhere. Despite someone mentioning in the linked thread that Headplays are also 16:10, I don't think that this is the case and I think they actually automatically adjust themselves to the HDMI output, which could cause the 'ovalisation' of your screen centre as described.

However, as far as I can remember, no one has ever mentioned this problem before, although perhaps no one has previously placed a totally round object exactly at centre screen and looked at it as carefully as you have.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj