P4 Firmware Upgrade Problem - Very Frustrating

Reaction score
Would be grateful if someone could chime in on this problem. With two Inspires and a multitude of various Phantoms, have never had a problem like this.

Started up the P4 knowing that I had both a RC upgrade and P4 upgrade pending. I made the huge mistake upgrading the remote first (apparently, I should have waited to be prompted for P4 upgrade - and done that first). Once the remote was upgraded, could not "work" with the P4 stating "poor signal" or something to that effect. It was not a "No connection" message.

Reading through these threads, it appears that I then had to revert the RC back to an earlier firmware version, and then upgrade the P4, and then upgrade the RC. I reverted the RC to an earlier version by holding down the "academy" sign (little hat) in upper corner of the main screen of the app. No issue and RC reverted.

Then the trouble began. Still no connection, and the RC now states that it has an "unknown" firmware version and app states that P$ has version 01.00.0288. When trying to re-revert to another firmware version on the RC (using the academy hat hold down), I now get Product Phantom 4, Current Version 01.00.0288, Get firmware version failed, and NONE in the box that let's you select the older firmware version.

Because I can't connect to the P4, used the DJI Assistant 2 on two separate computers. On the Windows machine, received a firmware message - "Cannot load firmware list. Please retry". On the MAC, could not connect at all.

Contacted DJI support last week, was asked to send them screenshots of all the messages, and then waited. I asked for an update today (after 5 days) and received a standard RMA message as if no one has even bothered to look at this. I am frustrated beyond belief and am not pleased with customer support. Sending back my P4 is the last thing I want to do.

UPDATE: Problem resolved per the responses. I used another IOS device. Previously used Ipad Pro, had deleted and reinstalled DJI GO with NO success. Tried same with Iphone 6 and it worked. This shouldn't be so fickle. Thank you for your responses.

Last edited:
I find it does not matter whether you upgrade the remote control first or the phantom first. I've always updated the RC first (not deliberately though). I plug my phone into my phantom 4, and if I am not prompted to upgrade, I delete the app then reinstall it. This will then prompt you to upgrade the Phantom. All will be well. DJI even outlined this quite clearly in their upgrade notes on their website.

Did you try upgrading the firmware on your Phantom? Connect the included cable between your Phantom and mobile device, start your Phantom, start DJI GO (with an active Internet connection on your mobile device), and wait at the opening screen (don't enter the camera view) for the firmware update message to appear at the top.

I find it does not matter whether you upgrade the remote control first or the phantom first. I've always updated the RC first (not deliberately though). I plug my phone into my phantom 4, and if I am not prompted to upgrade, I delete the app then reinstall it. This will then prompt you to upgrade the Phantom. All will be well. DJI even outlined this quite clearly in their upgrade notes on their website.

I did the "delete app and retry thing." Same result. Still don't get why DJI Assistant can't read the firmware

Still don't get why DJI Assistant can't read the firmware
You should try to install the firmware via DJI GO instead.

Did all the above. Rolled back FW on Remote, Tried updating P4 with DJI Go App and Assistant.

why not upgrading P4 using a computer. I did that way and it worked fine.

Would be grateful if someone could chime in on this problem. With two Inspires and a multitude of various Phantoms, have never had a problem like this.

Started up the P4 knowing that I had both a RC upgrade and P4 upgrade pending. I made the huge mistake upgrading the remote first (apparently, I should have waited to be prompted for P4 upgrade - and done that first). Once the remote was upgraded, could not "work" with the P4 stating "poor signal" or something to that effect. It was not a "No connection" message.

Reading through these threads, it appears that I then had to revert the RC back to an earlier firmware version, and then upgrade the P4, and then upgrade the RC. I reverted the RC to an earlier version by holding down the "academy" sign (little hat) in upper corner of the main screen of the app. No issue and RC reverted.

Then the trouble began. Still no connection, and the RC now states that it has an "unknown" firmware version and app states that P$ has version 01.00.0288. When trying to re-revert to another firmware version on the RC (using the academy hat hold down), I now get Product Phantom 4, Current Version 01.00.0288, Get firmware version failed, and NONE in the box that let's you select the older firmware version.

Because I can't connect to the P4, used the DJI Assistant 2 on two separate computers. On the Windows machine, received a firmware message - "Cannot load firmware list. Please retry". On the MAC, could not connect at all.

Contacted DJI support last week, was asked to send them screenshots of all the messages, and then waited. I asked for an update today (after 5 days) and received a standard RMA message as if no one has even bothered to look at this. I am frustrated beyond belief and am not pleased with customer support. Sending back my P4 is the last thing I want to do.

Any ideas.

Hi! It's very late here in Finland and I was seeking the solution to your problem because earlier today found solved problem like you're having but can't find it now. So tired....Going to sleep after this.. We'll if I don't remember wrong someone did the same thing and the solved mark came for that he un-installed Go App and loaded it again. When he then logged in he was promted to do firmware update again as did you but this time he were able to download the firmware and the Go app told him after download to connect usb cable to P4. Tell me if this helped you...

I wrestled with this for a couple hours last night on my new P4. I saw nowhere to get the firmware and place it on the micro SD card like I had done with my P3. I then tried using the DJI assist app on my MAC. It was a pain to install. Once I got it installed I could connect to the aircraft and it would see that the firmware needed to be uploaded, but it would fail when trying to install. I then used the lightning to usb connector that came with the P4 and then connected the USB to micro USB cable to connect the Aircraft directly from the IPAD. Using DJI Go it worked painlessly. When I unboxed my P4 I was wondering why they provided a lightning to USB adapter. Now I know

I then used the lightning to usb connector that came with the P4 and then connected the USB to micro USB cable to connect the Aircraft directly from the IPAD. Using DJI Go it worked painlessly.
Yes, that's the best way to install the firmware.

FYI for anyone else having trouble, I created detailed installations instructions for this process here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.