P4 firmware update through GO app...how on iPad mini 2?

Reaction score
Just got the P4 and requires to update the (RC done) drone...through GO app from DJI store. How???
I have an iPad mini 2 and drained the battery looking for the place where to download...Can not even start the motors..Lemon?

Just got the P4 and requires to update the (RC done) drone...through GO app from DJI store. How???
I have an iPad mini 2 and drained the battery looking for the place where to download...Can not even start the motors..Lemon?
It should prompt you in the home screen. Don't hit the camera button. Just sit on the home screen with everything turned on and you should get a prompt to update. Must have Internet access on your mobile device. Once it prompts you, just follow the instructions on the screen. It is really easy once you get the prompt.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I did it and it fails to update...I have an Ipad Mini 2 with Wi-Fi only...Wi-Fi is good, strong signal.
Is it normal NOT to be able to start the motors if the drone does not have the latest update but the RC and GO app are up to date?

Your problem is that you have updated the RC before the P4. It has to done the other way round. You will have to downgrade the RC and start again....check out the thread posted below, and scroll down to the pictures for more info:

April 7th Update Bricked Unit

On the home screen of the Go App, it will if you wait a minute while your RC is linked to it, tell you it's time for a firmware update. Then you essentially will have the info for the craft update in your mini.

So take that adapter (after the firmware update to the RC) and then either using a lighting cable (iOS) or micro-USB (Android) and do the same thing (you should literally be from the bird to the mini with no RC).

You can also download to your computer the Assistant 2 App and then it will ask you to plug in your P4 and it will show you what firmware you are at and tell you, you need to update but I have found that assistant app to fail on the fw update like 1 out of 5 times. Having done way too many now, I would say the method I just said is the best.

DJI has never really got the firmware upgrades down very well. Things like that are going to frustrate the less initiated user base. For example, the Yuneec Typhoon H because of the st-16 integration, there is zero concern about firmware difficult on upgrades, however a lot more stuff to sift through. That st-16 tx is like a pro one.

Your problem is that you have updated the RC before the P4. It has to done the other way round. You will have to downgrade the RC and start again....check out the thread posted below, and scroll down to the pictures for more info:

April 7th Update Bricked Unit
Ugh. I tried PMing what the issue was during this thread.

Pretty sure it doesn't matter what you do first.

Again, upgrade the RC or just install the App which (as long as you have wifi) will upload the fw through your cable using the provided adapter the fw to the bird. It's quite simple.

Anyone having issues, PM me and I'll walk you through the process over the phone if need be.

Ugh. I tried PMing what the issue was during this thread.

Pretty sure it doesn't matter what you do first.

Again, upgrade the RC or just install the App which (as long as you have wifi) will upload the fw through your cable using the provided adapter the fw to the bird. It's quite simple.

Anyone having issues, PM me and I'll walk you through the process over the phone if need be.
Sorry to contradict you, but there have been plenty of other threads on this issue, and they all come up with the need to update the P4 before the RC.

Finally I was able to update the drone with the latest version and discovered that iPad can NOT update the drone but through Samsung Note 5 I was able to update it, all is up to date now...BUT !!!
- the original RC is communicating with the drone completely. I have green light next to the 4 while lights and I have all the camera/info/pages on the iPad Mini 2 but is not starting the motors !!!. I have tried both sticks down/corners...nothing. When I choose auto take off the motors start for about 3 seconds and they die after that. I have deleted/loaded/deleted GO app, power cycled the drone and RC, replaced 4 data cables, nothing good so far.
- I have paired the RCs from my P3P and from the Inspire 1 Pro and both work OK with all the functions on the P4...but NOT the original RC. For good measure I have paired the original P4 RC to the P3P and Inspire Pro and also does not start the motors. And this is the second P4 in 3 days...
I have bought the first P4 from Apple store on 4/25 just before closing and the next day when checked and calibrated, the IMU was all over the place and Compass at its best was between 5 and 48 values, no matter where I did the IMU and Compass calibration. I compared my P4 against 2 other P4 drones of my friends and their were OK but not mine. So, today I exchanged the P4 at Apple store only to get a bummed RC with the new P4.
Also need to mention that the first P4 came with all the correct software/firmware already installed...kind of weird since I have never seen a drone to have all up to date and have updated a lot of drones for my friends.

Sorry to contradict you, but there have been plenty of other threads on this issue, and they all come up with the need to update the P4 before the RC.
Honestly, I am not even sure. I have upgraded way too many P4s and have never had an issue and I have found the Assistant (outside of calibrating gain and expo which can be done in the app) useless because the assistant always fails.

Almost positive I link the app to the iPhone or Tab and let it tell me to upgrade and then I do the bird using the Go App and the adapter. Chance I might be downloading the app as part of the process but I definitely do something before hooking the bird up to the mini.

I don't mind be contradicted and my memory is the worst but I've never had an issue upgrading.

Finally I was able to update the drone with the latest version and discovered that iPad can NOT update the drone but through Samsung Note 5 I was able to update it, all is up to date now...BUT !!!
- the original RC is communicating with the drone completely. I have green light next to the 4 while lights and I have all the camera/info/pages on the iPad Mini 2 but is not starting the motors !!!. I have tried both sticks down/corners...nothing. When I choose auto take off the motors start for about 3 seconds and they die after that. I have deleted/loaded/deleted GO app, power cycled the drone and RC, replaced 4 data cables, nothing good so far.
- I have paired the RCs from my P3P and from the Inspire 1 Pro and both work OK with all the functions on the P4...but NOT the original RC. For good measure I have paired the original P4 RC to the P3P and Inspire Pro and also does not start the motors. And this is the second P4 in 3 days...
I have bought the first P4 from Apple store on 4/25 just before closing and the next day when checked and calibrated, the IMU was all over the place and Compass at its best was between 5 and 48 values, no matter where I did the IMU and Compass calibration. I compared my P4 against 2 other P4 drones of my friends and their were OK but not mine. So, today I exchanged the P4 at Apple store only to get a bummed RC with the new P4.
Also need to mention that the first P4 came with all the correct software/firmware already installed...kind of weird since I have never seen a drone to have all up to date and have updated a lot of drones for my friends.
Without reading all this, exactly.

Your bird is turning off either because you don't have the props on or it knows the app isn't controlling it.

The app itself downloads and installs the AC fw.

It even shows a picture on the app software of what to do.

* also IN THEORY shouldn't matter whether you are using a iOS or Android device when updating. I've used both without issue.

Also, I don't think you can use the p3p remote with the p4 or vice versa but you can use the Inspire remote. Someone told me this anyway.

OK, have downloaded the previous P4 RC generic, power cycled the RC and iPad, linked the RC to P4, P3P and Inspire drones, the original P4 RC does NOT start the motors on any drone whereas the RC from the other drones work perfect on the P4...don't want to re-replace the P4...had enough with this crap from DJI.

OK, have downloaded the previous P4 RC generic, power cycled the RC and iPad, linked the RC to P4, P3P and Inspire drones, the original P4 RC does NOT start the motors on any drone whereas the RC from the other drones work perfect on the P4...don't want to re-replace the P4...had enough with this crap from DJI.
That's right, the other remotes are compatible with the P4 but the P4 remote is not compatible with the others.

This is not info that I made up but that I was told from people definitely who know, I think. Frankly, I don't know who know what anymore but the comment you just said is exactly in line with what I would think would happen. The P4 remote is not backwards compatible with any of their products including the P3 or the Inspire. Other way around is not the case.

Not true. With the FIRST P4 (that had a good RC) I was able to pair the P4 RC to P3P and Inspire Pro and the RCs from the other drones to P4. They ALL have the same frequency and crap inside, only difference is in the 3 way switch position P-A-F and PLAY or PAUSE buttons. The Inspire Pro RC flies the P4 like a dream, just remember the new features.

Not true. With the FIRST P4 (that had a good RC) I was able to pair the P4 RC to P3P and Inspire Pro and the RCs from the other drones to P4. They ALL have the same frequency and crap inside, only difference is in the 3 way switch position P-A-F and PLAY or PAUSE buttons. The Inspire Pro RC flies the P4 like a dream, just remember the new features.
The P4 has the least amount of power.

I just went to research it and from the DJI forum I read two threads with DJI reps saying two different things.

Ken, Tim and Pladin DJI all say the same thing (and I find them to be the most knowledgeable over there) and that is that they are all indeed compatiable but Ken said that you have to update the RC and the craft for each different craft. You can't just hotswap bind them like it sounds like you're doing. If you want to link it with a different bird, you'll need to wipe and reinstall the firmware for the respective birds and their firmwares for both AC and RC.

DJI Forum|Will The Phantom 3 Pro Remote Work With Phantom 4??

All done, still no go. Bad RC.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj