P4 Drift Over River

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the aircraft drifts at the same speed as the current of a "larger" sized river? Had my first flight over the local river here to me in VA and it was very unexpected.

ive seen a little wierd behavior when flying over a drainage ditch when the water was high and running fairly fast. i believe its related to the VPS

ive seen a little wierd behavior when flying over a drainage ditch when the water was high and running fairly fast. i believe its related to the VPS
Interesting....we did just have a few good storms and the river was def higher than normal and faster. Like I said it was no big deal...just very unexpected.

If your Phantom is higher than 10 meters, it should not drift since VPS cannot detect the ground from that altitude.

As mentioned above, the likely explanation is VPS attempting to lock onto the water surface. Interesting that VPS seems to give preference to the VPS data over GPS and accelerometer (assuming VPS is the explanation).

Tom Tech Time, video on youtube said you should turn off VPS when flying close to water.

Unfortunately, you cannot turn off VPS in DJI GO when flying a Phantom 4. There is a setting to turn it off when flying a Phantom 3 though.

Interesting....we did just have a few good storms and the river was def higher than normal and faster. Like I said it was no big deal...just very unexpected.

yep totally agree, i was hovering over the bank then moved over the water and noticed the drift and was a little weirded out it didn't use GPS to lock position.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20