P4 doesn't seem as stable as P3S

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just recently upgraded from a P3S to a P4. The 3 is stable as expected. The 4 seems to drift up and down a bit and sometimes drift around. It's a very small amount and I prob wouldn't have a issue with it if I hadn't used the 3 first. The 4 is definitely faster and has longer range, but I'm disappointed in the stability. It's not bad enough to be a problem. But somewhat irritating because it's not as stable as the 3. Does anyone know of anything I should check in my settings? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Calibrate the IMU and Compass. Also make sure you have more than 10 GPS satellites acquired before re-testing hover. Finally check the P4s propeller blades for accurate tracking.

I assume you're comparing both birds' hover stability in the same location?

Also make sure you have more than 10 GPS satellites acquired before re-testing hover.
I don't think GPS plays any role at all in precision positioning... IIRC that's all done with the IMU, compass, VPS, and ultrasonic ranging sensors.
Finally check the P4s propeller blades for accurate tracking.
What does this mean, and what's the procedure?

I don't think GPS plays any role at all in precision positioning... IIRC that's all done with the IMU, compass, VPS, and ultrasonic ranging sensors.What does this mean, and what's the procedure?
Correct. GPS for Positioning yes but precision positioning no.

Thanks I'll check and re calibrate. Honestly no on the location. I was trying the 4 at a new location. I've only had it a day so I'll try it a few more times and it will probably settle down.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Also make sure the vision positioning sensors are on. Review pp. 22-23 of user's manual for limitations of VPS

Tracking is not likely the issue. I just use some out of track blades and it hovered fine.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

When you calibrate your IMU you have to be on a perfectly level surface with absolutely no movement. My P4 even in the wind remains very stable.

I've not flown the P3 but I have to say I have found my P4 as steady as a rock, even with a bit of turbulence. As above re-calibrate. Good luck.

I came from a P2V to the P4 just two weeks ago. The first time I went up, I couldn't get over how the P4 just sticks in the air. Even doing a 360 it literally stays in one spot. My first POI was a 100' sign. I flew above it to get the GPS and being new it had to sit there awhile so I could get the app going. The POI was awesome! What a great feature, especially having done it only manually before! While viewing the video, that moment of it sitting above the 100' sign it seemed to not move at all!
Just wow!

Geo

I've noticed the same as you, once you fly it around a few feet some then bring it back close, should be rock solid at this point. Also if you auto take off , with no stick controls mine also will dance around some. But as soon as I put some stick controls to it then let go of the controls, then p4 it is a master at sitting steady

Reactions: Jshank
When mine hovers is like it is glued in the sky. Check your firmware, you have the yoyo effect.

Reactions: Jshank
I'm fairly certain I have the latest firmware, calibrated my IMU with cold calibration, and calibrated the compass. It seems to rock from corner to corner and slew around, and bob up and down a good bit... really confused as this only just started after 7+ hrs in the air... I has a sad.

Also I sent mine in for repair and they sent back a different bird that shows up in my GO app as "Bob's Drone" can I change this?

Last edited:
Also I sent mine in for repair and they sent back a different bird that shows up in my GO app as "Bob's Drone" can I change this?

Yes you can change that in the DJI GO 4 App.
In the DJI GO 4 App click or tap the little Aircraft on the screen, the one to the left of where GPS or Atti shows up.
Then tap or click on the tree dots at the bottom ( ... ).
Then scroll all the way down to " Device Name ". In order to change the name of the device you must be connected to the aircraft. When you are done do not forget to click/tap the save button.

File Feb 02, 10 19 27 AM.png

I'm fairly certain I have the latest firmware, calibrated my IMU with cold calibration, and calibrated the compass. It seems to rock from corner to corner and slew around, and bob up and down a good bit... really confused as this only just started after 7+ hrs in the air... I has a sad.

If you are running the latest fw update something is def wrong. In the DJI GO 4 App check to make sure you are running the latest fw.
I also have a P4 and it is rock solid, stable as the P3P I once had.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4