P4 DIY repair queston

Reaction score
This is similar to a couple of other recent threads here, but I didn't want to hijack them. I've used "Search" function but can't find my answers.

I had a very hard landing from about 12' a few days ago. Again, pilot error. Basically, I've used Litchi for Waypoint missions several times, but I've always manually taken off to avoid tight tree/house clearances in my driveway. Hit "play" on the ground Friday evening, and it went straight up rapidly, trimmed a tree branch breaking one prop, and then came back down hard on the driveway. I didn't realize it wouldn't allow stick input on the way up and out. No time to cancel, madly pushing forward stick for 2-3 secs, then boom. The only visible damage it to one landing gear. I see the link for a replacement gear in the other thread. I've looked it over pretty well.

However, the P4 won't connect to the app, or it will connect during warmup and then disconnect. Tried 3 batteries. The gimbal is slightly off, as well. During the brief time it connects, the camera image is there but the gimbal won't respond. I'd like to learn to repair this myself just for kicks and turnaround.

What should I be looking at internally that may have jarred loose or broken preventing app from connecting? RC and P4 connection light status is good. Should I just bail and send it back to DJI (again?) Does popping it open just to look void warranty for other problems? Thanks.

Ignore the blurred out personal info stickers.

image.jpeg

Looking at ur pic I see the thread insert is pull out of the body, this may b glued back in with two part epoxy. Carefully Pop off the corner covers to access the screws 1mm hex I think. The wires just unplug carefully. If u need new landing gear look on Amazon or eBay

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looking at ur pic I see the thread insert is pull out of the body, this may b glued back in with two part epoxy. Carefully Pop off the corner covers to access the screws 1mm hex I think. The wires just unplug carefully. If u need new landing gear look on Amazon or eBay

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks. Over the weekend I discovered the gimbal isn't responding to movement and is bent. Picture still good, but I might be looking at a whole new gimbal.

I punted and shipped it back to DJI today. After getting a backup P4 yesterday, which is perfect out of the box. Until I hit another tree. :) My son is claiming the old one after repairs. Seriously considered other brands just for variety, but P4 camera seems to be better than similar priced drones.

Living in the forest is great for a lot of reasons. Drone flying isn't one of them.

Seriously considered other brands just for variety, but P4 camera seems to be better than similar priced drones.

go with the Autel X-Star Premium

go with the Autel X-Star Premium

I considered it and the Typhoon H. I'll definitely be getting one or more different drones eventually. Might wait till next round of improvements though.

I considered it and the Typhoon H. I'll definitely be getting one or more different drones eventually. Might wait till next round of improvements though.

I was seriously also looking at the Typhoon H until I read negative reviews about their customer service.
Customer service matters to me, and I wanted a great drone for a great price..

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj