P4 Battery Issues!! need technical help

Reaction score
forgive me, I'm new to this forum..
I have a phantom 4 with 2 batteries. One of the batteries says its full but won't power up the aircraft. upon closer inspection, I found that the 4 positive leads were all putting out 2.10Vdc each using my multimeter.

I bought the battery off eBay and cannot return it, or send it back for warranty.

any help would be greatly appreciated,

Providing your readings are correct, fully charged you should have around 4.2 v per cell . Lipos' that go under 3v per cell may have unrecoverable damage, I would send it back for warranty.

I think the battery is terminal. Ebay has many non OEM batteries, and most users on this forum would be very wary buying on ebay, even more so if it was a used battery. However why can you not return, or take a case out against the supplier.
If the cells are only putting out 2.1V then it has been discharged too much and will not recover.

P4 batteries give you access to the individual cells? If not, the 2.1v doesn't indicate the state of the cells themselves.

P4 batteries give you access to the individual cells? If not, the 2.1v doesn't indicate the state of the cells themselves.
I believe Im reading each individual cell as per the pinout on the bottom of the OEM charger which reads NC--++++--NC. I assumed that each of the positive leads is would be a separate cell seeing as there are 4 positive leads as well as 4 cells...

Has anyone successfully taken a phantom 4 battery apart without damaging it?

I think the battery is terminal. Ebay has many non OEM batteries, and most users on this forum would be very wary buying on ebay, even more so if it was a used battery. However why can you not return, or take a case out against the supplier.
If the cells are only putting out 2.1V then it has been discharged too much and will not recover.
The seller is sending me a replacement and is not requiring that I send the old one back (usually indication that its a nonOEM battery).. I'm a technical minded person and I'm curious to see if I can fix this battery

Reactions: K9VXV
Good luck. I'd be afraid to put a non OEM DJI product in my Phantom. On my Phantom (except props) different story. Let us know how it performs? What was the price?

I believe the P4 batteries use the same concept as P3 but different formfactor. 4 pins are probably to handle the current. I would bet you will get zero ohms between + pins meaning they are all connected. All the charger does is provide a fixed voltage for the battery electronics to use to do a controlled charge of the lipos.

I believe the P4 batteries use the same concept as P3 but different formfactor. 4 pins are probably to handle the current. I would bet you will get zero ohms between + pins meaning they are all connected. All the charger does is provide a fixed voltage for the battery electronics to use to do a controlled charge of the lipos.
I agree, the cells are equalized and thus have consistent voltage readings across all 4 leads. Ill check the resistance across all POS as well as the 4 NEGs and get back .. I wish I can find information about how to properly dismantle this battery. The likelihood is, I'll never put this into my aircraft again, just curious

I find it somewhat odd that all 4 cells would read the exact same voltage. I would expect a small deviation even in a fairly well balanced pack. Lipo's need to be managed because you can't have any one cell get behind in charge. This is why a balance charger is necessary in normal hobby lipos. The phantom battery itself has this balance circuit built in. I have brought regular lipos back by supplying a charge to individual cells until they are up enough for Lipo charger to take over, although ultimately it was a scientific/educational endeavour. You could tear that battery apart and likely bring it back. That being said, the eventual outcome could likely be your house burning down, or a quick uncontrolled "landing" from 200'. There is no scenario where I would risk even a slightly suspect battery in my aircraft. Dispose of it properly and don't look back, as you don't even want that compromised pack sitting in your home.

I find it somewhat odd that all 4 cells would read the exact same voltage. I would expect a small deviation even in a fairly well balanced pack. Lipo's need to be managed because you can't have any one cell get behind in charge. This is why a balance charger is necessary in normal hobby lipos. The phantom battery itself has this balance circuit built in. I have brought regular lipos back by supplying a charge to individual cells until they are up enough for Lipo charger to take over, although ultimately it was a scientific/educational endeavour. You could tear that battery apart and likely bring it back. That being said, the eventual outcome could likely be your house burning down, or a quick uncontrolled "landing" from 200'. There is no scenario where I would risk even a slightly suspect battery in my aircraft. Dispose of it properly and don't look back, as you don't even want that compromised pack sitting in your home.

actually there is a slight variation with in +- a fraction of a volt amongst the 4 positive leads.. you are quite the wordsmith, at this point, Im convinced that disposing of the battery is the proper thing to do.thanks

Reactions: Extra330
Absolutely the best choice. These darn things are so expensive, it's very tempting to entertain bringing them back.

You could keep the battery for non-flight purposes such as simulation, downloading flight data, alignments, etc.

I would be really surprised the individual pins are isolated to each cell since all the intelligence is in the battery's electronics and not in the charger. The charger is just a simple high current constant DC voltage supply.
Unless the AC is using it rather than the battery electronics reporting it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4