P4 battery critical level error

Reaction score
I've been looking at some threads so not to double up with my question and couldn't find anything too close

Yesterday I put a fresh, brand new charged battery into P4 and whilst I was doing pre-flight checks, the DJI go app flashed a warning that the battery level is critical at 0%. I tried to restart the bird by switching it off but it wouldn't switch off. I removed the battery without switching it off and the green lights on the removed battery oddly stayed on. I don't know how long they stayed on for as I threw the battery into the Lipo guard bag and left it in a car. I continued on flying with another battery.
When I got home I put the battery in question back into P4 and it showed the battery level at 97%. I took off and hovered the P4 for a couple of minutes with no issues. Should I risk using this battery again?
Has anyone experienced this before? My initial thoughts were that perhaps the battery wasn't clamped property - hence the error and when i removed it while it was still on, it 'thought' it was still inside the aircraft for a few minutes.

Last edited:
I know in some threads talk about the temperature of the battery makes a difference. Like if its too cold, the battery may not register correctly. Id just do a bait and switch, and return the battery

Reactions: Flying Dre
1st I would check with a flashlight the connector inside the drone and other on battery to make sure debris is not an issue, and then just watch it close for a couple cycles. I hate flukes like this cause it just makes you worry and wonder. Hope it was a one time thing.

You should be OK using the battery, assuming the GO app shows a rational number after you charge the battery.

If you remove the battery from the craft without turning it off, it will remain on. Go ahead and try that again and you'll see what happens. With my P3 I had to turn off the battery if I accidentally removed a battery that was still on. I'm actually surprised your P4 battery turned off with 97% remaining. I would have expected it to drain to 3V and then turn off to save the battery integrity. Maybe the P4 battery has additional smarts to detect that it's not inserted into a craft.

P3 batteries will let you turn on the battery when it's not in the craft. This is used to "Top Off" a battery when it's above 95%, when normally it won't charge automatically when plugged into the charge because it's above 95%. Turn on the battery first lets you charge the P3 battery.

P4 batteries won't let you "Top Off" the battery the same way the P3 does. If you try to turn on the battery when it's not in the craft, the battery initially looks like it has turned on, but then a couple seconds will automatically turn off. So maybe that's what your battery did. It could have sensed it wasn't in the craft and turned off a few seconds later, maybe a few minutes.

The best thing to do is experiment and retrace your steps so you know what the behavior of the battery should be.

As for the 0% reading, that's a bit strange. But if it's working OK now, I think you're good.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple of flights and see how I go. I'm glad the fault occured at pre-flight and not during as I well intented to fly above the ocean.o_O

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20