P4 Advanced unstable flight, pitching and bucking at 15mph and up

Reaction score
Lately my P4A exhibits some gimbal yaw jerks when shooting video and flying at more than low speed. I guess it is related to buffeting from wind due to the drone's motion. Never used to have a problem with this. Now I see it almost every time. Is this a defect that can be fixed or is it just the way it is? I've had this drone more than a year and purchased a DJI Refresh 1 year extension, so it should be covered for warranty repairs. Also this drone is one I got from DJI as a replacement for a crashed one in which the gimbal arm sheared off. It's not the same drone with repairs because the serial number is different.

Update 10/24/18 Actually the real problem is that my drone's flight is unstable so sometimes the gimbal can't compensate enough. At any speed from 15 mph up, the aircraft flies with a constantly cycling pitch, like a bucking horse, and it gets more severe as speed increases. Has anyone else experienced that, and if so how was it resolved? Would it be covered for repair under the DJI Care Refresh warranty? I realize I could turn the drone in for a replacement, but I think repair would be more reasonable, and it may be just an adjustment or calibration problem. I didn't change any of the aircraft or control parameters, just standard P mode flying.

Last edited:
The first thing I would check is propellor balance. If one is out of whack then there will be a lot of vibration and movement. I would also try and determine if the motors are running smoothly, with propellers off of course. Check that they are correctly secured, check that there are no other items loose, like the gimbal. I would guess you do that wit( pre flight checks when you fly, but a close inspection will help. I found with my P3Pro balancing the props made a huge difference!

The first thing I would check is propellor balance.

I appreciate your suggestion. However, there is no vibration. The props are undamaged, never crashed or collided, and they stay on all the time because I got a large hard case that stores the drone with the props on. The problem I'm having is the aircraft pitching up and down like a dolphin, but only while flying forward at 12mph or more, with more pitching as speed increases. It appears to be a matter of overcorrection by the EFC. My question is why, and what can be done to correct it? Tomorrow I'll call DJI support and see if they have a solution.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic