P4 1st flight jitters

Reaction score
OK ... I got myself a Phantom 4, basically still in the box with factory wrap. Still winter here, thus waiting for a spring-like day.

Watched a ton of videos (plan to watch more), and have an unresolved querie: Can the orientation of the aircraft be adjusted while moving? Specifically, while flying forward (right controller stick pressed forward), can I touch the left stick (i.e. move it to the left) to cause the orientation to become at an angle (orientation & forward flight shifts to a direction, angled to the left)? The video I've seen thus far does show ratation in place using only the left controller stick, but if aircraft is moving forward, and thie stick is pressed, what is the effect?

P.S. As a beginner, I figure taking precautions to utilize the Phantom 4 sensors to detect and avoid obstacles is likely a very good plan :)

The video I've seen thus far does show ratation in place using only the left controller stick, but if aircraft is moving forward, and thie stick is pressed, what is the effect?
Using stick mode 2 (the default), the aircraft would yaw to the right/left and would continue heading in the direction it's facing.

Can the orientation of the aircraft be adjusted while moving? Specifically, while flying forward (right controller stick pressed forward), can I touch the left stick (i.e. move it to the left)
You can use any combination of both joysticks to carry out complex 3D movements.
With practice it will all become clear to you.
P.S. As a beginner, I figure taking precautions to utilize the Phantom 4 sensors to detect and avoid obstacles is likely a very good plan
A much better plan is to do your early flying in a large, open area where there is nothing to hit.
Keep well away from buildings, trees etc.

Use the Simulator that comes with it (Be sure the drone is also turned on.). That way you'll learn what the sticks do in unison, like fly a circle.

Reactions: DanMan32
Use the Simulator that comes with it (Be sure the drone is also turned on.). That way you'll learn what the sticks do in unison, like fly a circle.

Agreed!

And do yourself a favor and download DJI Assistant 2 on your computer and use that for the simulator as opposed to your phone/tablet used for flying.

So much easier to see whats going on....

And learn how to use home lock & course lock. They can come in very handy..;)

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking into the simulator and absolutely plan on finding a wide open place for 1st flight.

P.S. With the new regulations in Canada, all urban flying is basically banned. Looking at joining a RC flying club ;)

OK ... I got myself a Phantom 4, basically still in the box with factory wrap. Still winter here, thus waiting for a spring-like day.

Watched a ton of videos (plan to watch more), and have an unresolved querie: Can the orientation of the aircraft be adjusted while moving? Specifically, while flying forward (right controller stick pressed forward), can I touch the left stick (i.e. move it to the left) to cause the orientation to become at an angle (orientation & forward flight shifts to a direction, angled to the left)? The video I've seen thus far does show ratation in place using only the left controller stick, but if aircraft is moving forward, and thie stick is pressed, what is the effect?

P.S. As a beginner, I figure taking precautions to utilize the Phantom 4 sensors to detect and avoid obstacles is likely a very good plan :)

These drones do not do coordinated turns such as on an airplane or helicopter, but they do skidding turns quite well as others have described. While moving forward with the pitch stick, yaw with the yaw stick will produce a skidding turn.

As someone has said, begin in a large, open field.

Begin in "Beginner Mode" and set the boundaries tight for the first flights and then loosen up as your proficiency improves. Thence to P mode and one day (flying high) into sport mode.

Keep in mind that if you end up downwind into a strong wind that the only way home may be to engage sport mode. Fly higher in that case.

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm looking into the simulator and absolutely plan on finding a wide open place for 1st flight.

P.S. With the new regulations in Canada, all urban flying is basically banned. Looking at joining a RC flying club ;)

Glad your waiting, unlike me because the day I got my p3adv, I looked outside and we got a blizzard with 3 feet of snow....

So I took it for a spin in my living room - not good.

Actually you can do coordinated turns. I watched a beginner training video on the cheaper drones where after teaching forward/back, side to side (bank or roll) and yaw while pitched forward, he demonstrated actual banking using both sticks. I tried it and it makes tighter turns on the Syma and Phantom. Looks cool doing it, especially when you set the gimbal mode to FPV Vs default Follow.

Reactions: Topper1

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4