P3S Weak/Lost Video Signal

Reaction score
I have P3 Std. controlled with a Samsung Galaxy S5. From July to Dec 2016 I had an amazing experience. Great (advertised) video range. In March '17, I started having really bad video connection problems. Never had drone crash before or since. I believe, but can't prove it was a firmware update. It wouldn't display video on the phone at all. I sent it back to DJI and they claimed the Wi-Fi Main Board was bad and replaced it. (BTW, It cost $122 when they told me originally it would be under warranty)

When it came back from DJI it worked a little better but not the same as new. Now I lose video a few seconds to minutes into the flight and now the DJI GO app locks up and I don't see any information on the drone. I can control the drone with the sticks, no problem. But no app/phone connectivity to it. And if I start recording video from the start. it's on the card when I get it home.

I get the "weak video transmission signal" very early in the flight. I suspect DJI turned down the wifi power in a firmware update because everything worked great initially in July 2016 and now it doesn't.

I've tried:
Downgrading as far as it would let me. ~1.7? (i think).
Going to an earlier DJI Go app from a manual installed APK but seems they locked that down with the latest update/registration (I may be wrong)
I fully upgraded the app and firmware to the latest.
I've tried reinstalling the app.

None of this worked. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm fairly technical but I'm extremely frustrated with this thing. IMHO DJI made great product they keep making worse with these updates.

Thanks for a great forum, BTW! I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this and I'm happy to share the eventual solution.
Best,
Gabe

Am I the only having video transmission problems? I see lots of "lost RC signal" for the P3S.

Have you tried re-linking your RC and your drone? I know, I know - video is WIFI and RC is on a completely different transmission system! But, hey, it worked for me the other day, so why not give it a shot?

Thanks. I'll try it. And yes makes no sense but that's the kind of non intuitive solution I'm here for. I'll let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed...
Have you tried re-linking your RC and your drone? I know, I know - video is WIFI and RC is on a completely different transmission system! But, hey, it worked for me the other day, so why not give it a shot?

Welcome to the Forum!
You been hanging out for quite awhile, 9 months before a post.

Here is a search
Search Results for Query: video transmission signal | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

My issues have always been remote control signal to the Phantom, but I have seen your problem many times, it always seems like if related to firmware, the problem never goes away until it is repaired (Hardware). Really sucks they told you it was under warranty until you got a bill. And it is still broke. :rolleyes:
Do you have any proof of warranty, or was it with a phone call.

Only question I have, does your telemetry drop out also?
The video and telemetry comes in to the remote on two separate WiFi channels.
also
Did you send in your remote also, I'm guessing not.

Rod

Thanks Rod. Yes. Telemetry drops out too. And I sent the remote to dji. All dji go app function locks up. I get "disconnected" status, lose image and It never reconnects. I can fly it home with the sticks but can't let it out of my sight. I have the amazon receipt but no record of the dji rep saying its under warranty. Sounds like it's going back again... bummer.

And thanks for the search. some in there I hadn't seen. BTW sorry for not posting much... or ever. Haven't had too many problems I couldn't solve until now.

Relink didn't fix the problem.

Reading deeper into Rod's search. Has anyone had luck with the Magic Power Mod on the latest firmware and Go app on a P3S? I'm tempted to try that before I send it back to DJI.

Welcome to the Forum!
You been hanging out for quite awhile, 9 months before a post.

Here is a search
Search Results for Query: video transmission signal | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

My issues have always been remote control signal to the Phantom, but I have seen your problem many times, it always seems like if related to firmware, the problem never goes away until it is repaired (Hardware). Really sucks they told you it was under warranty until you got a bill. And it is still broke. :rolleyes:
Do you have any proof of warranty, or was it with a phone call.

Only question I have, does your telemetry drop out also?
The video and telemetry comes in to the remote on two separate WiFi channels.
also
Did you send in your remote also, I'm guessing not.

Rod

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Magic Power Mod worked for me on the latest firmware and DJI Go app. Highly recommend if you are having P3S video and Go disconnect issues as I mentioned above. I suspect a forced firmware update in early 2017 changed a setting to lower the 2.4GHz signal.

Reading deeper into Rod's search. Has anyone had luck with the Magic Power Mod on the latest firmware and Go app on a P3S? I'm tempted to try that before I send it back to DJI.

Did it get you back to like it was, or just better?

Rod

Did it get you back to like it was, or just better?

Rod

good question. I never really pushed my distance limits previously but got as far as I went previously before it stopped working. I can't run an exact apples to apples (max distance) test but I'm much happier. What should I expect now. with a magic power modded P3S.

I have know idea, but in clean air when my P3S was working like it should and stock.
300' and 3/4 mile.

I could see it in the sky, it would say lost signal, RTH I would like at the mobile device, I would look back in the sky, could see it again until I hear the little buzzard coming back.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Rod

good question. I never really pushed my distance limits previously but got as far as I went previously before it stopped working. I can't run an exact apples to apples (max distance) test but I'm much happier. What should I expect now. with a magic power modded P3S.
Nevermind... same problem happened on a second test flight. Any thoughts. Weird that it got better for a bit. Im starting to put my tin foil hat on....I think maybe my neighbor has a drone jammer.

Hi. I have had a similar experience. My Phantom 3 Pro worked fine before the July upgrade. Went out flying this morning for the first time since the upgrade and wasn't able to see video feed on my Tab. After a deal of messing about I noticed that the Connected light on on the Remote was Red instead of Green. That was a shocker - never come across that before. After 30 minutes of switching things on and off with no success - I tried DJI Go and Litchi, I gave up and came home

I had a root around on the internet and was filled with gloom and doom when I started to read the number of people who had had similar problems - some even grounded. I did come across a couple of comments regarding Re-pairing the Remote and the Bird so I thought it may be worth trying - pleased to say it seems to have worked. Not really logical but if it works, then why not give it a go

Good luck

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4