P3S video signal in built up areas.

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to ask a few opinions...

I have tried to fly my P3S around my local housing estate. I always maintain full control of the Phantom, but lose video feed/app goes grey at around 50m altitude.

Obviously, I know it's best not to fly directly over head, so fly 20 m away from me, but this seems quite a poor range.

I'm in the UK so on CE mode, P3 FW 1.6.8.0

I have just installed an Argtek antenna too.

My question is, I'm guessing there are a lot of homes around me with wifi networks. How much do these networks effect the video feed?

With the P3S and stock antenna out in a public park, I can get 250m (ish) before losing video feed. I haven't yet taken the bird out with the Argtek. Will be doing that later.

Just wanted your feelings on how much home wifi interferes with the signal when flying in urban areas?
64276eb72046c366cd7bc0190670addf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am thinking it has significant effect. I have not flown a lot in the city but i was out in the country the other day with minimal wifi and here is what i got on a stock p3s. Hope this gives you the feel of how wifi and stuff affects the drone. During the whole flight i did not have remote or video signal issue. It felt like the thing can go farther but i chickened out. I decided to head back home.

d3b5cda9e0ba90e2878c007d7c47419f.jpg

That's impressive!! Where are you flying though? Are you on CE or FCC mode? This does seem to have quite an effect on range as FCC has a higher output. I would be happy with the quoted 500m without losing video feed. This is a problem because the whole app goes grey and I can't do anything until it reconnects, which includes taking pics, starting/stopping recordings etc. Really frustrating!! Hopefully will get some good range with the Argtek in the park later though.

I am half a world away from you though- Manila, so it is FCC. Yeah, i hope the argtek gets the job done for you. I have one coming in a couple of weeks but after having this range on a stock and chickened out, i am not sure now if i want it installed. I felt the stock gets me more than enough. Not sure though about flying in the city. I have flown a dozen times in the city but the farthest i tried was 300ish with no issues other than i am getting scared flying in the city.

Reactions: Andy Roberts
Hi guys, hopefully someone can help.
I've just taken my P3S on a flight to the local park and have just fitted the Argtek antenna mod to it. Control of the phantom was fine, however completely lost video signal at 50 my (app shows disconnected, grey screen, no WiFi showing) the WiFi dropped to 2 bars before cutting out altogether. I'm on 1.6.8.0 in the UK so CE mode. Has anyone got any ideas or have I wasted my money. Spoke to the shop (Jessops) and they informed me that they couldn't exchange or refund it as it had been flown, and that it would have to go in to DJI for inspection/Repair (does anyone know how long this takes)

Hope someone can help!!!?

Sent from my SM-T715 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.