P3S Pre arrival/unboxing concerns

Reaction score
Hello all!

So I'll be getting myself a Phantom Standard 3 shortly. I thought I'd start off with this model rather than shedding out more money on a higher spec model only to crash it on the first day. I understand this is a decent model and will give good results for the price. If I enjoy it I can move onto maybe a 4 or the advanced model later on.

I've been doing a bit of research, as you do, and have seen a few decent videos, but I keep on seeing different videos of these things just 'dropping from the sky' and crashing down to the ground, or going haywire for no (clear) reason.

I want to make sure that I've got a bit of knowledge under my belt before I switch it on and it just falls out of the sky on the first flight (or second for that matter).

Should I maybe consider getting a smaller, cheaper one first to learn how to fly them?

Why do these things just 'stop working'?

Also, I'm in the UK and have read reports about the latest firmware having exclusion zones (not sure how true this is). Is this correct?

I'll continue to read up on it before it arrives. Any other tips would be welcome!

Thanks all!

First of all welcome to the board! I purchased my P3S about 4 months. I had no clue what to do. So I suggest even before you get the Aircraft is to download the manual before you purchase it read it back to back, it is free online. Although I fumble around with the software and hardware updates, which doesn't come out all the time. I'm truly happy with it lots of fun! And these guys here are awesome support!

As far as the exclusion zones here in the US I'm guessing around airports and such. Do everything the manual say's and you shouldn't have any problems.

Happy flying and Good Luck!

Reactions: omega1
Welcome Omega! P3S is a great bird. I love mine. Some have had a few issues with signal loss, but nothing major. When I do, I just bring it back and land and restart usually with no issues. I am in the USA, so I know our range is a little better with FCC vs CE.

As far are being comfortable with it and issues dropping, those have been pretty much corrected with the firmware updates. You just need to make sure you don't do the kill motor maneuver with the remote. This is shown in the manuals.

When you get it, fly in "Beginner Mode" for a little bit to get used to it. I did that for about 3 weeks. You will see how easy it is to fly. I usually keep the max range set to 500 meters just so it won't fly out if I don't need it to go further. If I do, I will take that option off.

Videos and photos with it are awesome. I have gotten some really good ones with mine. Play around with the settings and find what you like. You will be amazed at what it can do. Here are a couple of my favorites!

Once again, welcome and enjoy!

Nick

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IMG_1478890426.795709.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

@omega1

Wow, you got a lot of welcomes!

I'm always happy, that the first post is not "I crashed my drone" :rolleyes:

Both S1 and S2 switches up.
Good Satellite Signal, stay away from trees, they usually win the fight, they been here a long time, they don't move out of the way. ;)

Look for vids, landing and shutting of the motors with the left stick.

also

Take a look at this link.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Rod

Reactions: omega1 and Phil56
About failures, i'm sure they happen although I have been flying both a standard and an advanced for over year and I have not had any failures yet. You have to remember that you are dealing with complex electronics and things can go wrong. It is my opinion that most crashes are due to pilot error.

I think the standard or the advanced phantom 3's are great. I started out with some non-GPS quadcopters and got a little experience but I think it was mostly a waste of time as the P3's are so easy to fly and a whole lot more fun.

Before I got a phantom, I was chasing drones all over the place, snatching them out of trees and looking for them in grass and climbing fences and you name it. If you live somewhere where the wind does not blow at all, then getting a cheaper one for practice might be an option, otherwise I would say forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've been doing a bit of research, as you do, and have seen a few decent videos, but I keep on seeing different videos of these things just 'dropping from the sky' and crashing down to the ground, or going haywire for no (clear) reason.

Often the reason is pilot error/inexperience.

I want to make sure that I've got a bit of knowledge under my belt before I switch it on and it just falls out of the sky on the first flight (or second for that matter).

Great idea - it is reasonably complex for a beginner and having a full understanding of the manual is very important, as well as making sure you do preflight checks.

Should I maybe consider getting a smaller, cheaper one first to learn how to fly them?

Small cheap drones (like the Syma X5C) are a ton of fun and great to practice in the backyard (they can take a lot of punishment). Like a real pilot, knowing what to do and how to fly without electronic aids like GPS and barometric sensors can save your bird one day.

Why do these things just 'stop working'?

Anything electronic can be faulty out of the box. If it literally falls out of the sky on your first flight I'd be making a warranty claim!

Also, I'm in the UK and have read reports about the latest firmware having exclusion zones (not sure how true this is). Is this correct?

Exclusion zones have been around for a while. You should consult the UK CASA rules as to drone safety and where not to fly.

Thank you all for your comments!

I'll certainly be doing more research before I do my first flight, I really don't want to feature on the latest 'drone crash' videos that I've been watching...

It all looks like great fun and can't wait!

The P3S is a great entry level drone. Just read the manual and enjoy. They are very smart but not intelligent...... :)
Just because DJI says its for beginners its not really, there are so many quads out there that beginners should try IMO besides the P3S and besides the P3S are almost the same as the P3A and P3P except for light bridge a better camera and some sensors but what im trying to say is they all pretty much preform the same way as far as GPS goes so calling one a beginner and not the other doesn't make sense to me. Those others aren't beginner because 4k camera? Doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing?

I'm in the UK too.
I've had a P3S for about 7 months, and a P3Advanced for about 4 months. The one and only problem I've had was pilot error.
Read the manual, watch the DJI videos, then read the manual again! If you progress slowly, stay in beginner mode as suggested, until you're entirely comfortable with flight and controls and app, you'll have no problems. Bear in mind it's primarily a photographic tool, not a speed/aerobatic machine.
A lot of crash stories are people trying to fly as far or as high as they can before mastering the basics.
I still fly the Standard more than the Advanced, it's more pick up and go and fly. (The recent firmware update for the standard is good, so dont worry about upgrading).

I'm in the UK too.
I've had a P3S for about 7 months, and a P3Advanced for about 4 months. The one and only problem I've had was pilot error.
Read the manual, watch the DJI videos, then read the manual again! If you progress slowly, stay in beginner mode as suggested, until you're entirely comfortable with flight and controls and app, you'll have no problems. Bear in mind it's primarily a photographic tool, not a speed/aerobatic machine.
A lot of crash stories are people trying to fly as far or as high as they can before mastering the basics.
I still fly the Standard more than the Advanced, it's more pick up and go and fly. (The recent firmware update for the standard is good, so dont worry about upgrading).
I agree 100% Once you understand what this quadcopter is for and once you know how to fly there should be no reason for you to crash unless its a mechanical failure of some sort. Its not a racing quad its not a quad you fly around willy nilly, its a quad you use to take amazing videos with.

So here's what id recommend, once you master how to fly it start learning how to take amazing video's. Racing quads you master how to fly it and whip around tree's and such, these birds you master how to fly and how to take amazing video.

Reactions: omega1 and pig

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers