P3S - Loss of live video feed mid-flight - "no signal" - DJI GO

Reaction score
So, I have 29 flights under my belt with my Phantom Standard. Most of them have been less than 5 minutes as I'm still working up my courage/experience. Luckily no crashes and plenty of great footage to show for it.

With that said, in at least 5 flights now I have lost my live video feed a minute or so into flight. If I recall, I would see a red status bar that said "no signal". The app appeared to still be functional - just no video feed. When it happened, I still had full control of the quad and was able to manually bring it back home without issue. I have never seen the video feed come back after it was lost, but if I power cycle the Phantom after it has landed, it's then restored.

Has this happened for any other Standard pilots? If so, have you found anything to fix it?

I saw a thread for this issue, but the vast majority of posters were Pro/Adv pilots. I wasn't sure if their problem was applicable since their hardware is slightly different.

****Mods - please move if necessary. I wondered if this was a Standard specific problem so posted in the Standard subforum.

It happened to me today and I still had control so I just close out the app and reopened it. Everything worked fine after that.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Happened to me sometimes, I just move the RC to point directly to the bird, or just adjust a bit the antenna position and the image returns right away

From extensive V+ experience (your Standard is basically an upgraded Vision+), it is to be expected to occasionally lose video. Often you will still have telemetry. If so try backing up to the Go apps Home screen then reenter the camera view. Sometimes you might have completely exit the app & reenter.

On rare occasions I've had to cycle the WI-Fi extender. On the V+ that was a separate component. On the Standard it's integrated into the controller so you'd have to turn it off for a few seconds & back on. Be sure you know how to abort a RTH if you do this.

So, I have 29 flights under my belt with my Phantom Standard. Most of them have been less than 5 minutes as I'm still working up my courage/experience. Luckily no crashes and plenty of great footage to show for it.

With that said, in at least 5 flights now I have lost my live video feed a minute or so into flight. If I recall, I would see a red status bar that said "no signal". The app appeared to still be functional - just no video feed. When it happened, I still had full control of the quad and was able to manually bring it back home without issue. I have never seen the video feed come back after it was lost, but if I power cycle the Phantom after it has landed, it's then restored.

Has this happened for any other Standard pilots? If so, have you found anything to fix it?

I saw a thread for this issue, but the vast majority of posters were Pro/Adv pilots. I wasn't sure if their problem was applicable since their hardware is slightly different.

****Mods - please move if necessary. I wondered if this was a Standard specific problem so posted in the Standard subforum.

Just wanted to say thanks guys. I'll keep all of this in mind next time I fly, which is hopefully today (fingers crossed). I'll report back if anything happens.

How far away were you?

2. What phone/tablet are you using? Most likely your phone is lagging out. When the app is lagging it does all kinds of weird things like showing your video and control signals as being weak etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

All 5 times I have been relatively close (less than 100 feet out and up).

Yeah, I'm leaning toward it being an app issue. Even when I don't lose the feed, the video is a little choppy especially when I yaw. I just assumed this was normal until I saw someone else's app and it was silky smooth. I've read posts indicating the android app is glitchy compared to the IOS app.

I have a 1st gen MotoX. I don't think it's on the list so maybe that's the problem, but the phone runs great otherwise. I never encounter any slowness or instability.

So, I flew tonight briefly when I got home. Connected to my Moto X, the video feed performed fine. I yawed the camera back and fourth and it was clear with no distortion or lag. I did clear the cache from the app and closed all background apps (which I normally do anyway). This issue is random, so it working fine tonight isn't that surprising.

*UPDATE*

Short Story: I think the wireless adapter on my tablet is to blame for the problems.

Long story: I ran some tests of the FPV feed. I tried my tablet (Nexus 7 2012) against my phone (Moto X). Basically, I pointed the Phantom at a video was playing, then watched it on my tablet and mobile phone. The feed on the Moto X was clear and responsive. However, the video on my tablet was pixelated and stuttered at times. Also, I had a couple quick drops of the signal, but it came back. I eventually ran some network ping tests to measure connectivity and latency. My tablet had a much higher latency than my phone. Of the 5 times I had video problems, 4 of them were on my tablet. I don't know if there's an actual problem with the adapter, or that it just has limited range, but for now I plan to stop using my tablet and only use my phone.

I'll report back if I find anything else.

*UPDATE*

Short Story: I think the wireless adapter on my tablet is to blame for the problems.

Long story: I ran some tests of the FPV feed. I tried my tablet (Nexus 7 2012) against my phone (Moto X). Basically, I pointed the Phantom at a video was playing, then watched it on my tablet and mobile phone. The feed on the Moto X was clear and responsive. However, the video on my tablet was pixelated and stuttered at times. Also, I had a couple quick drops of the signal, but it came back. I eventually ran some network ping tests to measure connectivity and latency. My tablet had a much higher latency than my phone. Of the 5 times I had video problems, 4 of them were on my tablet. I don't know if there's an actual problem with the adapter, or that it just has limited range, but for now I plan to stop using my tablet and only use my phone.

I'll report back if I find anything else.

I had these same kind of issues with my samsung tab 2014 edition, and note edge, unless you kill everything, uninstall most of what you don't need, use airplane mode, then it might be some what reliable. Even then you won't be able to live stream to youtube or enjoy recording to your phone and still there will be some jitter, well that was what my testing showed.

I believe the android phones, simply do not have the shielding in place that the apple products do and that causes some interference with the wifi and control, since switching to my ipad mini 4 and iphone 6s+ it's been awesome to fly, i get full range, don't have to swap out to get a map, it just uses the 4g for internet. So yea, they polished the app for apple products is what I'm guessing and android phones get something that kinda "works"...

But I gotta say, flying with the ipad mini 4 has been nice. it's like the perfect size.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20