P3S GPS could someone please explain

Reaction score
Hey I was thinking of buying a P3S but I heard that you need cellular data in order to use the gps features when flying. Is this true? Other apps on my phone use gps without cellular data but is it different with dji?
Does the drone have gps built in or is that only on the pro?
So if I don't have cellular data for the gps I can't fly at all? I'm not worried about maps not showing up, I'm worried about the drone not knowing where it is.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated :)

Hey I was thinking of buying a P3S but I heard that you need cellular data in order to use the gps features when flying. Is this true? Other apps on my phone use gps without cellular data but is it different with dji?
Your information source is very confused.
The confusion is probably a scrambled idea that came from Apple only putting GPS in cellular enabled iPhones.
But it still makes no sense as you don't need cellular data to fly any DJI Phantom.

i guess you have missunderstanding about GPS here. you are assuming as A-GPS you see on cellphone.

don't be confused on those terms you've heard before.

all phantom 3 has GPS builtin already. and all GPS on any device wether it is a cellphone, gps tracker, cars, tablets, drones, ships, planes, ect... the don't have any dependencies to cellular network. GPS is working depends only on satelites signal.

the only cellular dependency here that might confuse you, is about showing maps. if you don't need to see the map, then you don't need cellular data at all.
GPS vs MAPs is different thing.

the only cellular dependency here that might confuse you, is about showing maps. if you don't need to see the map, then you don't need cellular data at all
There are some other uncommon dependencies too -- like uploading logs from the field or streaming live video to YouTube. For Wi-Fi only devices, the maps can be cached beforehand in a location that has an Internet connection so they are available later.

Ok thanks for your help, I was worried for a second there. There isn't much information on the dji site (that I could find anyway) so thanks very much

Ok thanks for your help, I was worried for a second there. There isn't much information on the dji site (that I could find anyway) so thanks very much

There are some other uncommon dependencies too -- like uploading logs from the field or streaming live video to YouTube. For Wi-Fi only devices, the maps can be cached beforehand in a location that has an Internet connection so they are available later.
Yes i know, but we are discussing about cellular according to GPS functionality here. . . . [emoji23]

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

On the iphone:
Mobile/Cellular data allows you to have a live map view and upload videos and sync your flights.
Privacy, Location Services turns your phones gps on and off and you can specify which apps use gps.

Personally I have my mobile data and location services ON for Dji Go when I fly, for myself, I don't see any need not to have them both turned on.
Feel free to experiment and report back your findings.

When your smart device does NOT have GPS, you can't use the "Folow Me" function.

The aircraft has GPS and feeds its position back to pilot on the app so you know where it is and aircraft can return home etc.
If you have GPS on your phone / tablet - then you can use the extended functions such as Follow me. You can reset home position if you are on a boat etc.

OK - last bit - you will hear people say having dual GPS ... that is US system and Glonass (Russian). That you get better position and performance. Its a poorly understood matter. The improvement is actually dependent on location and surroundings. Having both allows dualality of SATs rec'd but dies not increase number used to calculate position. GPS decoding selects what it sees as best SATs and rejects the others regardless of whether there are 10 or 20 SATs shown. In fact because each SAT is monitored by ground stations and receives its data for transmission to receivers - quite often various SATs are switched to send error signal and received then ignores its data - but still shows it as locked in.
Glonass also is under strict Military control and re-designated depending on 'conflicts' at the time. The US system even though part of the USAF regime is more civilian as shown by the switching of SA ....
Final point both systems have parallel transmissions - civilian use and strict only military.

If people really want precision - then they need join the Forces !

Car navigation uses 'nearest road' algorithm giving the false sense if supreme accuracy ... you only need to watch it jump roads when leaving / joining highways etc.

Nigel

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31