P3S firmware upgrade AOK

Reaction score
I was a little gun shy about upgrading given all of the problems others have reported but it worked fine for me. I just did it right from the DJI Go app... No fussing with copying files to the SD card, etc. Here's the exact process I followed:

1. Batteries fully charged.
2. Power on RC, launch DJI Go app
3. Power up P3
4. Clicked the red link at the top of the home screen to launch the upgrade.
5. Waited the 15 minutes or so for the upgrade to complete.
6. Clicked "Continue" when the upgrade completed.
7. Cycled the power on the P3.

I have a second battery so I powered down the P3, swapped batteries, powered the P3 back on. The app alerted me to do the update again (apparently this firmware updates the battery too), so I clicked to update. Updating the second battery just took a minute or two. Cycled the power and everything was fine.

I haven't flown since the update (snow/sleet here) but the controller connects just fine an I didn't need to go through the matching process like others have.

Very simple process.

Yep I did the same all went very well and can now only fly a max of about 40 meters , beginning to think I made a huge mistake buying a DJI

Reactions: SZNJ732 and kirby
Yep I did the same all went very well and can now only fly a max of about 40 meters , beginning to think I made a huge mistake buying a DJI

Must be a setting or you are in beginner mode. Have you checked all of that ? I got my max distance after the update. It had nothing to do with update. I'm just saying. I was around 1950 meters out. I don't think you made a mistake buy DJI. They make quality stuff for the price.

I am assuming your getting "Weak Remote Control" and then "Lost Remote Control" and then "RTH"?

I didn't know each battery needed updating. Good to know. Ill have to complete that before my next flight. Thanks for the info...

I believe if the batteries need updating, the Phantom will do it when you use that battery.

Yes I am getting weak signal then no signal ., I am deff not in beginner mode, I have distance and hight set to 500 m that would be way enough for me the furthers I have managed to go is 50 m all night different places any advise would be welcome , where she is flying she is steady as a rock just no distance

I was a little gun shy about upgrading given all of the problems others have reported but it worked fine for me. I just did it right from the DJI Go app... No fussing with copying files to the SD card, etc. Here's the exact process I followed:

1. Batteries fully charged.
2. Power on RC, launch DJI Go app
3. Power up P3
4. Clicked the red link at the top of the home screen to launch the upgrade.
5. Waited the 15 minutes or so for the upgrade to complete.
6. Clicked "Continue" when the upgrade completed.
7. Cycled the power on the P3.

I have a second battery so I powered down the P3, swapped batteries, powered the P3 back on. The app alerted me to do the update again (apparently this firmware updates the battery too), so I clicked to update. Updating the second battery just took a minute or two. Cycled the power and everything was fine.

I haven't flown since the update (snow/sleet here) but the controller connects just fine an I didn't need to go through the matching process like others have.

Very simple process.
This is great news so no more SD card upgrade necessary you can get it will be done from the remote? I already did the ST card update and I did my batteries I will check them from the remote just to make sure thanks

If it clears up I'll try flying mine tonight. Well this afternoon. Maybe it just means you need a fresh install of everything. Something isn't right. I'll reply with results. As of now no flying it's nasty out.

Anyone fly yet after the last update? I saw a 1080p 60 fps vid and this person was using standard and flew way past 50 meters.

I
Yes I am getting weak signal then no signal ., I am deff not in beginner mode, I have distance and hight set to 500 m that would be way enough for me the furthers I have managed to go is 50 m all night different places any advise would be welcome , where she is flying she is steady as a rock just no distance

Once I do the firmware update, what's the procedure to update additional batteries? Is it just powering up the bird with each additional battery or is there more to it? Thanks!

I will post my 2 cents regarding post-update range. I confess, as a relative noob, I am very conservative when it comes to range; however, post-update to the latest firmware, I have seen no "new" problems related to range. I have flown out in a variety of directions and around a radius in excess of 250m. I have seen the momentary "lost RC signal" red banner at the top of my app screen, but never triggered RTH or lost video feed.

Dave1664, my suspicion is your range issue is not directly related to the firmware upgrade. I will repeat what others have suggested, that DJI has put together a solid performer for the price point.

However, this opinion will not provide comfort or extend your range. Uncovering the source of your limited range and applying the appropriate fix is something we all need to support.

One starting point would be to document your HORIZONTAL range capability (recognize that signal strength to the P3S is affected by a combination of vertical and horizontal orientation of the receiver and transmitter). Suggest positioning your PS3 at a fixed location and range checking by moving away from it and identifying the maximum distance you can walk and remain in solid contact. Try this with the RC transmitter antennae in three positions, Vertical, horizontal and at 45 degrees. Is there a difference (there probably should be)?

After establishing horizontal range, I would do the same by running the P3S vertically overhead and determine your max altitude (range) under the same conditions with the RC antennae in the three different positions.

Knowing the results of this simple range check might provide insight of whether your range problem is related to the RC, the P3S or local interference.

I would like to hear others opinions related to a safe and accurate Range Check of the P3S. In conventional RC applications (both fixed wing and rotorcraft) we don't have the advantage of an RTH function and range checking while the craft is on the ground is our only option (and a VERY important part of safe operation and preventing the loss of very expensive equipment that usually contains a huge time investment as well).

Please keep us posted on your experience; either in your own investigation as well as support your receive from DJI.

Good luck....
-S

I assume you never had a problem before the update, how many flights had you had before the update?

You have probably seen this post,

RC Signal Lost | DJI Phantom Forum

With this update I have seen two problems, weak signal (yours) which hasn't been fixable and remote not linked (which is fixable)

I believe a was the first to post this problem. My story.

Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal | DJI Phantom Forum

The end of story I got a replacement that works like it should.
I have not had time to do the last two updates, maybe this weekend if time and weather permits.

Some more.

Search Results for Query: weak remote signal | DJI Phantom Forum

Just did the Go app update as well as the Firmware update Monday nite and flew 2 times yesterday testing it and saw no issue's at all
with mine. Did have to change some settings back in the app and did get the 1080/60fps .

Hey there!
From what I’ve been reading, there are 2 parts to this issue.

My story is the same as all other P3S owners. I got my Phantom 3 Standard on Mon Dec 28, set it all up, when I opened the DJi GO app I was prompted for the firmware upgrade, did that, it failed the first time after it got stuck at 49%, I re-downloaded and re-installed it, it upgraded successfully, I was prompted to restart the aircraft, I did that, and when I opened the DJI GO app again, the firmware update notice came up again, prompting me to upgrade firmware, that got me confused as to why I had to do it again, but I went ahead anyway, that firmware update only took maybe 30 seconds.

I now realize that the second firmware update was for the battery.
I had no issues connecting to the aircraft from the first attempt (turn RC on => connect to WiFi => turn aircraft on => all good.
The whole set up process from the first time I opened the app, updated firmware to aircraft ready to fly took approx 45 min.
So I was lucky enough to go through both firmware updates from the first attempt and did not have the “cannot connect RC to aircraft” issues reported by many others.

Now this brings me to the 2nd part of this RC issue reported by some P3S owners… the range issue.
That is the one I’m dealing with now.
Being a new P3S owner, I took it slow and easy the first few days, just getting used to controls , RTH , camera and just general flight operations.
And finally yesterday I went on my first “long distance” flight.. As you can probably guess I didn’t get very far before I getting the “RC Connection lost” message.
I was at Height = 215 feet , Distance = 265 Feet; Full RC connection bars.. Luckily the RTH did not initiate, and I picked up the connection again after a couple of seconds, and I regained control of the aircraft and safely brought it back.

Now 265 feet is not something I consider long distance, since DJI advertises distance around 1000m/3200 feet. I would be happy if I could get a 1/3 of that.
I checked the RC link button, everything seems to be working fine.
Kinda disappointed.
I guess I should’ve went with advance or pro model.

Same thing here... Max distance before loosing signal ~250 feet... I made an expensive mistake buying a standard model...

Well I'm sorry to report that although the update process was smooth, I've now had some time to fly and it appears I have the short range issue too. I've sent DJI support an email asking if there's a fix coming and when. If I don't get a satisfactory response, this thing is going back to the store.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20