P3S Controller - Malfunction or broken ? ***SOLVED - REPAIRABLE AND WORKING*** See post 4

Reaction score
Hi All.

I've just managed to purchase a 3rd P3S controller (2nd hand) to modify. It links fine to the drone and I can move the gimbal up and down etc however, the drone doesn't seem to respond to any stick movements, or start / shut down the motors. Before I tear this thing apart and start poking around has anyone else ever experienced this with a controller ? If it is an issue that can't be fixed I will send the thing back, if not, is it repairable ? Any assistance is appreciated.

Same here.. mine won't start the aircraft & a red light on controller(disconnected) although I've video & camera control.
Mine will require an upgrade x 2, which will be by micro SD card reader (on order) thru the USB port, back of controller. Current remote version is below 1.3.20. Once that's done, future upgrades will be done thru the DJI Go app.
This information is for P3P GL300A

Do you get a firm ware upgrade required triangle on your app?
Why 3 controller's?

Same here.. mine won't start the aircraft & a red light on controller(disconnected) although I've video & camera control.
Mine will require an upgrade x 2, which will be by micro SD card reader (on order) thru the USB port, back of controller. Current remote version is below 1.3.20. Once that's done, future upgrades will be done thru the DJI Go app.
This information is for P3P GL300A

Do you get a firm ware upgrade required triangle on your app?
Why 3 controller's?

No red lights, all green. No warning triangle on the app either. I have 3 controllers because I like to tinker. One controller has Blueproton Argtek range extender and tablet holder upgrades, another has 4Hawks range extender and tablet holder upgrades and this one was my next project. I only do it on the P3S stuff, I don’t really touch my P3A or MP controllers.

Hi All.

I've just managed to purchase a 3rd P3S controller (2nd hand) to modify. It links fine to the drone and I can move the gimbal up and down etc however, the drone doesn't seem to respond to any stick movements, or start / shut down the motors. Before I tear this thing apart and start poking around has anyone else ever experienced this with a controller ? If it is an issue that can't be fixed I will send the thing back, if not, is it repairable ? Any assistance is appreciated.

After doing many checks I was confident it wasn't a software issue. I checked the controller and discovered the left joystick had full range of motion and functioned correctly. The right joystick had full range of motion but did not function left or right ... hence the motors wouldn't turn on / off etc.

I stripped the controller down, removed the right joystick mechanism completely. I hunted high and low for a new or second hand joystick (I never realised how rare they are) and found someone selling parts for a broken P3A/P controller in Surrey, England. On inspecting the pictures I could see the joysticks looked exactly the same as the P3S controller. For the princely sum of £13 and free postage to me in Northern Ireland I ordered the part. A lot of these parts are interchangeable, so look closely.

Today the package turned up (a day earlier than the seller stated) so I proceeded to swap the part out. Once in and the controller back together I switched everything on, re-calibrated the joysticks via the DJI Go app and 'hey presto' ... everything is now functioning fine. I took the P3S out for a check flight using the repaired controller and all is good. When I have a little more spare time I will dissect the malfunctioning part and see if it can be saved or put into the bin.

Points to note:

- Just because something isn't working doesn't mean to say it is always a software issue. Think outside the box methodically, be thorough in your diagnostic approach.
- Take everything to bits slowly and carefully remembering where everything goes. Take pictures if it helps you.
- Do your homework, research what you need so you don't buy parts you don't need.
- Never throw 'broken' things away unless you are 100% sure it is broken.
- There are 'Sharks' out there selling bits at vastly inflated prices telling you that certain parts don't fit on certain models etc. Example: I purchased this part for £13 with free postage, others were selling the same part for £36 plus simply because it came off a more expensive model. At least '**** Turpin' wore a mask !!

I hope this helps anyone who may find themselves in a similar predicament.

Attachments

• Controller 3.jpg
    Controller 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
  • Controller 2.jpg
    Controller 2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 195
  • Controller 1.jpg
    Controller 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 201

Members online

Forum statistics