P3S - can you help get my bird in the sky?

JKD

Reaction score
Hello

I have owned my P3S for over 2 weeks and I haven't even seen the motors spin.

The reason I'm posting here, is because I am getting nowhere with DJI support - they haven't helped me much at all.

I'm desperate to find a resolution to my problem! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have detailed all of my issues in a post on the DJI forum, which you can find here;
DJI Forum|P3S-Unable to read SD card

Thanks in advance.

What did your dealer advise you to do?

Here is a thought for you. Connect your gimbal to your computer using the mini-normal USB cable. Note. I said the Gimbal NOT the drone. (I made that stupid mistake) then try downloading your firm/software via the cable rather than the SD card. Ok it may not work, but its something to try isnt it?

Let us know how you get on wont you?

then try downloading your firm/software via the cable rather than the SD card. Ok it may not work, but its something to try isnt it?
It would be an interesting test. The first problem would be trying to track down the firmware. I know it's on DJI's website, but guessing the file names is not fun.

The OP has a P3S.

Someone else having this problem. Cut and pasted from the other forum

[email protected] Posted at 2015-11-28 15:58
"I have the Standard but unfortunately wasn't so lucky. I started the firmware upgrade (1.2.40) vi ...

Well, I finally got it working. Hours of loud urgent BEEPing in the meanwhile....

It seemed I had to try just about everything. I kept getting the Battery less than 50% full message, but I entered camera mode and would get the required update msg. Then back to the connect screen, over and over again to try the update.

I just kept doing it over and over: I tried to update and then enter camera mode, ignoring the Update Required red bar and the low batt error. I even charged my phone to 100% and left it on the charger. So it seems that the 50% Battery Low message not only is bogus but that it happens accidentally.

In other words, I just keep trying and it finally showed a blue xx% Uploading bar! Took about 20 minutes to complete. It now works.

Almost.

Now EVERY time I connect and start the DJI GO app, I see the Update Required msg. I ignore it and go to Camera View, where the familiar red Update Required warning flashes for a few seconds, then shows the Safe to Fly green bar. Go figure. This happens every time I start from scratch. Even if I format the uSD card or use the old card or new one, nothing changes. Still tells me it needs an upgrade, which I have to ignore.

DJI did a wonderful thing is providing WiFi update --- except when it fails. Others have experienced this too. It clearly needs a non-WiFi mode as backup for when their complex system breaks.

I should add I went through a similar fail-to-upgrade right out of the box. Took me about 4 days of trying all kinds of stuff to get flying. I was just about to return it to Amazon

and the next one down said --------------

Well like je1010 above, with a little perseverance I was also able to successfully upload the firmware. In case someone finds themselves in the same boat as I was, here is what I did...

I found another micro SD card and mounted it via my home computer. Then I stripped the downloaded .bin file from my Android that was within the GO app. and put that on desktop of my computer. Then I transferred that .bin file onto the SD card. Unmounted the micro SD and placed into the slot in the camera on the drone.

I fired up the drone and again got the annoying "urgent" beeping...I placed it in a closet and shut the door so I wouldn't have to listen to it, when I checked on it about 20 minutes later, the beeping had stopped and the lights on the drone were flashing so I new it was doing something...which was a good thing.

I let it go for another half hour or so but noticed my drone battery getting low. I turned the drone off, installed a fresh battery but this time when I turned it on I also turned on the controller and connected as usual via my Android and the GO app. The good news was the drone fired up normally, the app was telling me an upgrade was required I hit okay (or whatever the prompt was) and this time it blew from 0 to 100% within 10 seconds...said it was successful and to restart the drone, which I did.

So all seems well at this point, I guess I need to recalibrate the compass and a couple other things thing and hopefully when I put it up in the air all will be good.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: JKD
Thanks for your help, everybody!

I did try digging around in my phone storage for the downloaded .bin file the other day, I couldn't find it. I just looked again now, no luck. Does anybody know what directory it will be in? (I have hidden files enabled.)

I think my best/only bet is to find the .bin and get it onto the SD card!

I'll try this tomorrow and post back with my progress.

Thanks again!

I had this trouble when I first got my P3S. Tried putting the .bin on the SD card. It stopped the horrible beeping, but it didn't update the firmware. So what I did to resolve the issue was to 1) Turn on remote, 2) turn on drone, 3) connected to drone Wi-Fi on my tablet, 4) started the Go app. From there, I was prompted for the new Firmware release, clicked that big green Firmware button, and it updated via Wi-Fi.

So....

I found the firmware .bin file on my phone under DJI/dji.pilot/Upgrade/DLPackage/. It wouldn't show up in removable storage on PC because of Android joy - tinyurl.com/zue4kfg).

I put the .bin file on a freshly formatted SD card, put it into the drone, booted it up - exactly the same as before. Get the gimbal boot up dance, red lights on the front of the quad arms, flashing yellow on the back arms. The gimbal abruptly dies after the boot up dance and goes completely limp.

I tried removing the gimbal and re-seating the main cable, just in case. Made no difference.

One thing I have noticed with every other case that is similar to mine, is that they have beeping - I have no beeping at all.

I decided to try plugging the USB port from the front of the quad body (the one covered by a rubber seal) into my PC, just to see what happens. All of the lights switched off. My gimbal started to beep steadlly, then the beeping sequence changed to a faster pattern a few minutes later. At present the beep has been a constant scream for about 10/15 mins. The light on the gimbal is now a steady red too, it is usually off.

I think I'll leave it screaming and see what happens.

P.S - Is it normal to get a lot of heat coming from the gimbal motor/camera?

P.S - Is it normal to get a lot of heat coming from the gimbal motor/camera?
Yes. It's normally not an issue when the props are spinning to cool it off. It would be a good idea to point a fan at it if you're going to run it for a while.

So, the screaming noise kept going and going and nothing changed. So I switched off the quad, unplugged the USB from my PC, then booted it back up standing alone.

I got a series of beeps, which seems to match the patterns I have read in other forums. The gimbal wasn't going limp. Then, after 10 minutes I got the 'Deeeee, DD' pattern.

Got a bit excited.

Switched it all off, started back up with thr RC and GO app. Tried the update from the app, it smashed through in seconds....

'Update complete' - !!!!!!!!

So, to conclude - it seemed my fix was to run the firmware straight from the SD card. BUT for it to commence, I needed to plug the main USB in the front of the quad to my PC. I don't know why this worked, but it did.

Thanks for the help everybody. Relieved and very exciting about finally being able to fly her!!

Reactions: BigHorny
Awesome! Post some photos of your first flight!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr