P3P yawing at altitude

Reaction score
I've not been totally happy with the stationary stability of my P3P since I bought it, convinced that there are other phantoms out there that appear rock solid to mine. When hovering within 3m of the ground it didn't stay completely still, sometimes losing altitude slowly. I noticed the altitude on the go app yesterday was registering 3.1m when it was more like 1.1m so that was a bit weird. Having never calibrated the controls on the RC yesterday however it now appears a lot more stable.

One thing that hasn't improved however is that at altitude when I'm taking shots and I yaw a little to capture the next shot for a panorama, the quad appears to keep yawing slightly on its own when I release the controls. Even if I knock the stick slightly in the opposite direction to stop it, the yawing starts again very slightly. I've left it alone for a few seconds and it continues to rotate counter clockwise (always this direction if I remember correctly). I can pretty much stop it if I apply a minute amount of yaw in the opposite direction but it doesn't seem to hold completely sill if I let go. This is at a typical altitude of 100m or more.

If I hover near grouse level I can't see it rotating on its own, it behaves well.

The only thing I an think of is the wind higher up but the weather forecast yesterday said it was only around 10mph - could this be the problem?

I've not been totally happy with the stationary stability of my P3P since I bought it, convinced that there are other phantoms out there that appear rock solid to mine. When hovering within 3m of the ground it didn't stay completely still, sometimes losing altitude slowly. I noticed the altitude on the go app yesterday was registering 3.1m when it was more like 1.1m so that was a bit weird. Having never calibrated the controls on the RC yesterday however it now appears a lot more stable.

One thing that hasn't improved however is that at altitude when I'm taking shots and I yaw a little to capture the next shot for a panorama, the quad appears to keep yawing slightly on its own when I release the controls. Even if I knock the stick slightly in the opposite direction to stop it, the yawing starts again very slightly. I've left it alone for a few seconds and it continues to rotate counter clockwise (always this direction if I remember correctly). I can pretty much stop it if I apply a minute amount of yaw in the opposite direction but it doesn't seem to hold completely sill if I let go. This is at a typical altitude of 100m or more.

If I hover near grouse level I can't see it rotating on its own, it behaves well.

The only thing I an think of is the wind higher up but the weather forecast yesterday said it was only around 10mph - could this be the problem?
You probably need to do RC calibration to correct this.

I probably wasn't clear, I had this rotation at altitude both before AND after I did the RC calibration yesterday. Hovering low to ground seems much more stable but not at altitude.

I probably wasn't clear, I had this rotation at altitude both before AND after I did the RC calibration yesterday. Hovering low to ground seems much more stable but not at altitude.
Go into the app and check the Gain settings--

Go to MC Settings-- top left quad copter icon-- select Gain and Expo Tuning-- Select Gain at the bottom-- Mine are set an 100-- -- they should be between 80 and 120. Decrease the gain on the Yaw and see it that helps.

Keep in mind the camera is not fixed in the yaw position. As you yaw and then stop the camera is slower to catch up then returns to dead ahead so the video is not so jerky. When you are at very low altitude you are probably looking at the craft not at the monitor which may or may not make a difference. It's kind of hard for me to explain at 3AM (should be in bed) but I've noticed something similar myself, IOWs the camera doesn't seem to be full center immediately after yawing. I believe some of that can be adjusted in the gimbal/camera settings

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl