P3P worked as advertised!

Reaction score
This flight really scared me. I sent the P3P out in the desert trying to find an anomaly I spotted on Google Earth. The suspect location was about 2 miles out, but the P3P can do that distance without any problems. I’ve gone out much farther. This flight, I departed from my back yard landing pad. There are buildings and power lines all along my property. And there is a tall shed outbuilding in the middle of my back yard. I was cruising along at 150 feet altitude, when at around 6,000 feet I started to get an intermittent “Weak signal” message on the controller. I mistakenly thought the drone was North of my property, when in fact it was Northeast. I decided to move to a new location in my yard and then started to gain more altitude. When doing so, I accidentally moved to a location directly behind the outbuilding in my yard. The building was now directly between me and the drone.

Within a few seconds, I lost all contact with the drone. My screen froze and turned to black and white. Then I got that sudden cold pain in the pit of my stomach that is the first signs of “Panic”. I had visions of my poor P3P flying around helplessly out there somewhere in the desert, and then finally landing in the middle of nowhere when the battery ran down. I was recording the flight, so I had some idea where to start looking.

I shut down the Go app and then restarted it, but did not move from my new location. That didn’t work. So I frantically shut down the controller and the Tablet. That did not regain contact either. I just stood there in that location trying to figure out how I was going to find my drone in all of that desert. After a few minutes, I decided it was time to get on my Quad and start the hunt. But as I moved into the open in my yard, the video came back to life on the Tablet. There on the screen was a desert landscape passing slowly by down below. I thought, “Thank goodness, but where in the heck is it going now?” Almost at the same time, I began to hear that familiar sound of a drone is distant flight. Shortly thereafter, my P3P was directly overhead and starting the auto landing procedure. I just let it do its thing. After it landing in my yard, I tried to figure out what had happened in the first place.

As it turned out, I thought the drone was directly North of me. But in fact, I had maneuvered it to a direction in the Northeast. Consequently, when I move to the new location in my yard, I placed the Shed between me and the drone. Thus, the lost signal! Then the P3P did just what it was supposed to do. It activated the emergency “Return to Home” feature and came back home on its own.

I love my P3P!

Oh that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach from signal loss..not fun, looks like the the RTH feature saved the day.

How long have you been flying? You will find, provided you have RTH set to return and an appropriate RTH height, there is nothing to worry about. The AC performed as expected.

How long have you been flying? You will find, provided you have RTH set to return and an appropriate RTH height, there is nothing to worry about. The AC performed as expected.
Yes it did perform as expected. That was my point. Many posts here are negative in nature. I wanted to tell a good story for a change. I got my first P3 back in about May of 2016. It was a P3 Standard. But I wasn't happy with the range I was getting with the Standard, so I upgraded to a P3 Pro. As I stated in my story, I use the Pro for searching the desert for things or places to go explore.

I knew how the RTH worked. I use it often. I had just never had it used in such a traumatic way before.

Lol yea my stock P3 wouldn’t go more than a mile and half out until I installed a Titan Atlas boosted antenna. If so conditions would have to be close to perfect now 2 3 miles is way easy

If you set the home point before taking off, there is nothing to worry. The aircraft will return to home after losing signal. It happened to me before with my standard but I never worry about it.

Reactions: With The Birds
Fair enough- from the panic in your description I didn’t get the sense you knew what to expect. The video feed will freeze when you loose the downlink. I’m many cases you still have control signal so simply increasing altitude will re-establish the video feed. You can also look at the map and radar in flight to ensure your Controller is pointing at the AC. Once the link was restored on the return you could have canceled the RTH and continued flying. Where safe to do so setting a higher RTH gives you a better chance of the connection being restored more quickly

Glad you got it back, but as mentioned before, as long as RTH is set your fine. When you lose connection don't turn off your tablet, controller, etc... Just keep it on.

If you want to have a real scare like I do then get litchi app. Why? Then you can set waypoint missions to places you lose signal and the drone will go off. Nothing more scary then setting your drone off on a mission somewhere then lose signal for 12 mins lol. I love it and love the sound of the drone coming back with the "thank god this mission worked" feeling lol

About to do another 12 min mission to a place I never ever flown before. Am I scared? Hell yes.... Am I confident it will come back? Of course [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

Reactions: Numone
Glad you got it back, but as mentioned before, as long as RTH is set your fine. When you lose connection don't turn off your tablet, controller, etc... Just keep it on.

If you want to have a real scare like I do then get litchi app. Why? Then you can set waypoint missions to places you lose signal and the drone will go off. Nothing more scary then setting your drone off on a mission somewhere then lose signal for 12 mins lol. I love it and love the sound of the drone coming back with the "thank god this mission worked" feeling lol

About to do another 12 min mission to a place I never ever flown before. Am I scared? Hell yes.... Am I confident it will come back? Of course [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]
I reckon you as being the luckiest drone operator on this board Mate- beyond question.....

Reactions: Neon Euc
Could be. Just like pushing the drone to the limits. As long as it doesn't fall on anyone I feel confident. [emoji4]

Fair enough- from the panic in your description I didn’t get the sense you knew what to expect. The video feed will freeze when you loose the downlink. I’m many cases you still have control signal so simply increasing altitude will re-establish the video feed. You can also look at the map and radar in flight to ensure your Controller is pointing at the AC. Once the link was restored on the return you could have canceled the RTH and continued flying. Where safe to do so setting a higher RTH gives you a better chance of the connection being restored more quickly
I always verify my RTH altitude before takeoff, and checked it on the map. I had used the RTH feature many times before. I even made a video last year to demonstrate it. But in this case it caught me by surprise. Because the small building was between me and the Drone, I would have had to climb up to 1,000 feet to get a clear line of site. I did attempt to turn the Pro in my direction and hit the forward stick just in case. But it was too late. I think my main problem was that I wasn't paying close enough attention to which direction I was actually in. Had I not moved behind that building, this would not have happened.

I’ve lost connection and had to count on the RTH feature many times. One time In particular I was flying back into a nasty head wind and ran out of battery. I was lucky enough to guide the bird fairly close to a road to find it easier. The last image I received I was slowly spinning with an image of a farm pond on my screen!! Thankfully I maintained contact with the ac and was able to track it down. It took 1.5 hours to find it. It was about 25 ft away from the pond I had seen. It was resting comfortably in a soy bean Field. Zero damage beside chopping some soy bean plants. It was a very lucky day for me. I must say I am much more aware of the wind when I fly any distance. Glad it worked out for you too!!

About to do another 12 min mission to a place I never ever flown before. Am I scared? Hell yes.... Am I confident it will come back? Of course [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][/

This is exactly how I feel when I send mine off on a mission. **** what a rush.

This flight really scared me. I sent the P3P out in the desert trying to find an anomaly I spotted on Google Earth. The suspect location was about 2 miles out, but the P3P can do that distance without any problems. I’ve gone out much farther. This flight, I departed from my back yard landing pad. There are buildings and power lines all along my property. And there is a tall shed outbuilding in the middle of my back yard. I was cruising along at 150 feet altitude, when at around 6,000 feet I started to get an intermittent “Weak signal” message on the controller. I mistakenly thought the drone was North of my property, when in fact it was Northeast. I decided to move to a new location in my yard and then started to gain more altitude. When doing so, I accidentally moved to a location directly behind the outbuilding in my yard. The building was now directly between me and the drone.

Within a few seconds, I lost all contact with the drone. My screen froze and turned to black and white. Then I got that sudden cold pain in the pit of my stomach that is the first signs of “Panic”. I had visions of my poor P3P flying around helplessly out there somewhere in the desert, and then finally landing in the middle of nowhere when the battery ran down. I was recording the flight, so I had some idea where to start looking.

I shut down the Go app and then restarted it, but did not move from my new location. That didn’t work. So I frantically shut down the controller and the Tablet. That did not regain contact either. I just stood there in that location trying to figure out how I was going to find my drone in all of that desert. After a few minutes, I decided it was time to get on my Quad and start the hunt. But as I moved into the open in my yard, the video came back to life on the Tablet. There on the screen was a desert landscape passing slowly by down below. I thought, “Thank goodness, but where in the heck is it going now?” Almost at the same time, I began to hear that familiar sound of a drone is distant flight. Shortly thereafter, my P3P was directly overhead and starting the auto landing procedure. I just let it do its thing. After it landing in my yard, I tried to figure out what had happened in the first place.

As it turned out, I thought the drone was directly North of me. But in fact, I had maneuvered it to a direction in the Northeast. Consequently, when I move to the new location in my yard, I placed the Shed between me and the drone. Thus, the lost signal! Then the P3P did just what it was supposed to do. It activated the emergency “Return to Home” feature and came back home on its own.

I love my P3P!

Don we have all been there. The most important question is DID YOU FIND THE ANOMALY???

Reactions: DKG13CC
Don we have all been there. The most important question is DID YOU FIND THE ANOMALY???
Yes I did. I use the Drone to do a lot of searching in the mountains and deserts around here. My other hobbies include Meal Detecting and documenting old World War II airplane crash sites. Back in 2002, I actually co-authored a book about old crash sites in California. I look on Google Earth for anything that looks out of place. In this particular instance, it was an area that looked like it might be an old aircraft crash impact crater. It turned out to be just a gouge in the ground where someone just dug a hole. I have no idea why. There is no mining out in that area. Here is a link to a 7 minute video I did last year while search for another anomaly in the same general area:

Yes I did. I use the Drone to do a lot of searching in the mountains and deserts around here. My other hobbies include Meal Detecting and documenting old World War II airplane crash sites. Back in 2002, I actually co-authored a book about old crash sites in California. I look on Google Earth for anything that looks out of place. In this particular instance, it was an area that looked like it might be an old aircraft crash impact crater. It turned out to be just a gouge in the ground where someone just dug a hole. I have no idea why. There is no mining out in that area. Here is a link to a 7 minute video I did last year while search for another anomaly in the same general area:

Excellent video. Great hobby! My brother is moving to Arizona and my Phantom and I are chomping at the bit to visit him.

Excellent video. Great hobby! My brother is moving to Arizona and my Phantom and I are chomping at the bit to visit him.
Thanks. Let me tell you, the desert in Arizona is far more beautiful that his dusty dry place. But its home for me. Even at 72 years old, I'm still working. I love the desert and I love my job. Do not want to retire.

Thanks. Let me tell you, the desert in Arizona is far more beautiful that his dusty dry place. But its home for me. Even at 72 years old, I'm still working. I love the desert and I love my job. Do not want to retire.
I have to argue with you there my friend. I am 66 and am enjoying the heck out of my retirement. I loved my job but I have a woodworking shop in my garage and fly my Phantom whenever I can. Constanly looking for new places to fly. Flying the Phantom makes me feel like a kid again. You must really love your job!

Reactions: Neon Euc
I have to argue with you there my friend. I am 66 and am enjoying the heck out of my retirement. I loved my job but I have a woodworking shop in my garage and fly my Phantom whenever I can. Constanly looking for new places to fly. Flying the Phantom makes me feel like a kid again. You must really love your job!
Yes I do! I work on office copiers and networking. Been doing it for 50 years now. Hard to believe. Good pay, good people, good benefits, and I certainly don't work hard I'll tell you that. Generally home by 1p.m. Nap time between 2:30 and 4:00. The only bad thing, is if you want to call it bad, is that I drive on average 2,500 business miles per month. But they pay me mileage, so what the heck.

Yes I do! I work on office copiers and networking. Been doing it for 50 years now. Hard to believe. Good pay, good people, good benefits, and I certainly don't work hard I'll tell you that. Generally home by 1p.m. Nap time between 2:30 and 4:00. The only bad thing, is if you want to call it bad, is that I drive on average 2,500 business miles per month. But they pay me mileage, so what the heck.
Man o man sounds like it's worth it to keep working - especially the good people part, that's what makes it ok. The driving? You must be used to it. I drove a truck for 30 years and absolutely loved my job, but I hated the people I worked for. My only goal was getting my pension. If they were better people I would still be driving. I understand the nap part too! Anyway thank you for the little conversation and don't crash your drone, it's gets expensive to fix them. Here in Illinois trees are my main enemy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1