P3P upgrading to P4v2

Reaction score
Folks, I am politely asking for those who went from a P3P to P4v2 - what are the differences you noticed, pros and cons, what I should expect...I have thousands of miles on my P3P - I have earned thousands as an amateur videographer for weddings and special events...but yesterday I had an unfortunate operator error, and although the damage is minimal, I am again being forced to consider my next drone.

I need hand catch - period. My gigs simply require that I can physically recover my drone in flight due to terrain, or lack of terrain, or due to the obstacles on or close to ground.

With that said, I would really appreciate everyones feedback in order for me to upgrade to the P4v2 with confidence and excitement. But I want to know about the bad that goes with the good.

Many thanks all, it has always been my pleasure to be a member of this forum for so many years now. Looking forward to everyones insight.

NEWYORKSTRONG

Reactions: Capt KO
I have no personal experience with the p3 series products, so I can’t answer for that.
The P4P series does all that I could ask and there are a few aspects of the V2 that are noticeable.
Research what you can, and I do have a V2 that I can part with.
No flaws, 1100.00 shipped with one battery. I have way too many DJI products and can’t fly them all.

Reactions: Capt KO and Tricky
Folks, I am politely asking for those who went from a P3P to P4v2 - what are the differences you noticed, pros and cons, what I should expect.
The P4 pro is similar to the P3 pro in many respects but with lots of little refinements.
The big improvement is the camera.
It's a 10x improvement for photography.
Nearly twice the pixels and no more being forced to shoot with wide open aperture

Reactions: Tricky and Capt KO
The P4P is an excellent drone with OcuSync2 providing really good range, ~5 more min flight time, I'm sure you'd like it. You will likely have to get use to all the new NFZ restrictions and wind warnings of the new P4PV2, that's the downside. The speed is faster, and the sensors can be helpful (which may have prevented your operator error), and you will get less props in the view, but you still have to mitigate that with camera angle sometimes. Catching a Phantom is easy, I'm a fan of catching the craft 90% of the time. However, the Mavic2P is also caught quite easily. At first I was skeptical, but over time I've learn it's not such a big deal after you learn the proper way to catch. The M2P has some very compelling attributes over the P4P, which is mainly size and portability. The flight time between P4P and M2 is about the same, 22 to 24min average. The M2P camera is very good too, with the 1" sensor like the P4P, however it doesn't have a mechanical shutter for photos like the P4P, and it doesn't shoot 4K@60FPS (only4K@30FPS) if those two differences are important to you. If they are not important, the M2P is what I'd recommend you consider. The M2P is also quieter and shows much less prop in the view, practically none. While flying straight, you can also turn the camera left and right without changing course direction, by tap and dragging the screen. A good backpack for a Mavic2 is way less weight and size than a good backpack for the P4P. Traveling on a plane is much easier to carry on with the M2. One of the benefits I notice in the M2 is the way it can yaw at a consistent rate when recording video. It's much smoother than P4P, it doesn't slow down and speed up as the Phantom has a tenancy to do. Even though the RC sticks on M2 are shorter than the P4P RC sticks, the M2 is more precise at navigation slow for some reason, especially in a yaw. Never having to install another prop is a huge benefit for the M2. The M2 RC will accept an iPad Mini in the clip. If you want to use a larger iPad you'll need to use an adapter in the display clip with M2, unlike the P4P that will accept full size iPad (not the pro). Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You will love the P4P v2. Way better and tougher than the P3 but still familiar. Nothing better for film for near the price. Still the ‘go to’ drone of tv shows. (Discovery History)

That’s my pitch. Have fun, fly safe ?

Reactions: Tricky
The P4 vs P3 debate is mixed. Imo the P3 is more reliable on different levels but they both have their own issues. It's a balance of capability and reliability. I dont own a P4 (I'm a P3P owner) but i know alot about the P4. Personally, if I'm going to invest in another drone, the P4 would not be my choice. I'd likely look at a Mavic of some type. The P4 doesn't have enough advantage over the the P3 for me.
Just my opinion.

The P4 vs P3 debate is mixed. Imo the P3 is more reliable on different levels but they both have their own issues. It's a balance of capability and reliability. I dont own a P4 (I'm a P3P owner) but i know alot about the P4. Personally, if I'm going to invest in another drone, the P4 would not be my choice. I'd likely look at a Mavic of some type. The P4 doesn't have enough advantage over the the P3 for me.
Just my opinion.
This is correct. But the P4P does have many advantages over P3P. MANY! The V2 only comes in P4P model, so I think the OP really means he's looking at P4P V2 with OcuSync.

The OP should consider the Mavic Air 2 also. Under $1000 for the fly more kit, and it will blow the doors off the P3P, available mid May.

This is correct. But the P4P does have many advantages over P3P. MANY! The V2 only comes in P4P model, so I think the OP really means he's looking at P4P V2 with OcuSync.

The OP should consider the Mavic Air 2 also. Under $1000 for the fly more kit, and it will blow the doors off the P3P, available mid May.

Thanks John you always have had good insight on this forum - its all about my ability to catch this thing - if there were a reasonably reliable way to catch the mavic I would buy it in a second. I appreciate everyones time and input!

The P4P is an excellent drone with OcuSync2 providing really good range, ~5 more min flight time, I'm sure you'd like it. You will likely have to get use to all the new NFZ restrictions and wind warnings of the new P4PV2, that's the downside. The speed is faster, and the sensors can be helpful (which may have prevented your operator error), and you will get less props in the view, but you still have to mitigate that with camera angle sometimes. Catching a Phantom is easy, I'm a fan of catching the craft 90% of the time. However, the Mavic2P is also caught quite easily. At first I was skeptical, but over time I've learn it's not such a big deal after you learn the proper way to catch. The M2P has some very compelling attributes over the P4P, which is mainly size and portability. The flight time between P4P and M2 is about the same, 22 to 24min average. The M2P camera is very good too, with the 1" sensor like the P4P, however it doesn't have a mechanical shutter for photos like the P4P, and it doesn't shoot 4K@60FPS (only4K@30FPS) if those two differences are important to you. If they are not important, the M2P is what I'd recommend you consider. The M2P is also quieter and shows much less prop in the view, practically none. While flying straight, you can also turn the camera left and right without changing course direction, by tap and dragging the screen. A good backpack for a Mavic2 is way less weight and size than a good backpack for the P4P. Traveling on a plane is much easier to carry on with the M2. One of the benefits I notice in the M2 is the way it can yaw at a consistent rate when recording video. It's much smoother than P4P, it doesn't slow down and speed up as the Phantom has a tenancy to do. Even though the RC sticks on M2 are shorter than the P4P RC sticks, the M2 is more precise at navigation slow for some reason, especially in a yaw. Never having to install another prop is a huge benefit for the M2. The M2 RC will accept an iPad Mini in the clip. If you want to use a larger iPad you'll need to use an adapter in the display clip with M2, unlike the P4P that will accept full size iPad (not the pro). Hope this helps.

As always, a thoughtful and data driven reply thank you sir.

The P4 pro is similar to the P3 pro in many respects but with lots of little refinements.
The big improvement is the camera.
It's a 10x improvement for photography.
Nearly twice the pixels and no more being forced to shoot with wide open aperture
When Meta speaks, you would do well to listen folks. that is all.

thank you sir!

if there were a reasonably reliable way to catch the mavic I would buy it in a second.
There's no doubt the P4P is easier to catch, however I fly my M2 90% of the time and catch it 90% of the time. I catch it because I don't like the props stirring up dust that can get on the gimbal and camera, so I catch it, because it's easy and safe. There is a technique to catching the M2, but with some practice it's quite safe and easy, even with sensors on. It wasn't until I closely examined how much room there is for catching (while not flying) that I became comfortable with the process in the beginning. If you were nearby I could show you, but there are videos online that can help.

Hello!
I've had a P3Pro for years and loved it. Finally bit the bullet and got the P4P Pro+ V2 about 3 weeks ago. Here's my comments so far....
1. Hand catch works the same on both, I feel like the P4Pv2 has a little sturdier landing gear
2. Camera on the P4p Pro + V2 is awesome. It's more camera power than I will ever need.
3. Gimbal on the P4p Pro + V2 is better than the P3P pro.
4. I got the built in screen on the remote - it's very nice! Very Bright, used it in bright sunlight a couple of days ago and it was still visible. I now don't have to worry about charging a "third device" -- remote, ipad, P4p battery.
5. I'm using the Epson BT-35E glasses with my P4Pv2 and it's great that I can either a) duplicate the screen completely or b) see only the camera view (see my other posts if you want more info on Epson BT200, BT300 and BT35E)
6. Active braking on the P4P is much better. Also, the sensors work well. I've haven't gotten brave enough to try it at full speed but the unit won't run into my car at medium speed! The sensors show on the screen like the backup camera in most newer cars, telling you 6ft, 9 ft, 12ft (maybe not those exact numbers but you get the idea)
7. The props attach a little differently on the P4PV2 - they are "push and turn" to lock, not just spin tight like the P3P. Not sure if that is good or bad, but it is different
8. P4Pv2 is much quieter than the P3p (new motors and new prop design)
9. You can charge your battery AND your remote at the same time on the P4Pv2, DJI say don't do that on P3P
10. This may seem obvious, but there are no parts compatible with both. (different batteries, camera filters, props, etc)

just my thoughts - YMMV

If you have specific questions let me know and I'll try to answer them!
tcg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4