P3P range concerns

Reaction score
Have had my P3P for 45 days or so now and I'm always loosing signal around 2000-2200 Ft. I am hearing and reading a lot about others getting triple that range. Anyone encountering this and have a fix?

Using iPad Air 2 and flying in Florida coast.

go to transmitter settings. Lower the bitrate to the lowest and pick a channel with the least tallest bar. Try again.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Fly away from buildings and other possible interference. If you have not upgraded app to most recent, go into controller settings and change to custom. Select channel 20. Lower bit rate to 4mb/s. Fly up to 300. Point antenna up and at a slight angle away from each other. Point the long side of the antenna toward the Phantom.

Depends on where you fly, urban areas with a lot of buildings, power lines, and trees can block the signal. Antenna orientation, parallel and vertical. As you are flying in Florida (read flat) you should be getting good range, do you have your Image Transmission settings set to 'Auto' or have you tried to select a different channel and lower the bit rate?

Could it be your surroundings? I have gotten out almost 5000' with trees and houses around me. Sometimes I start to lose signal much earlier. I chalk it up to being in an urban environment.

Are the channel settings and bit rate menus only available when connected to the P3? I don't see them on the app.

Some of you guys have Brass BalZ$ - I can't imagine flying 5000 ft away I get nervous at 1500 (just can't really see the bird that well)... I have been working on my comfort at distances - but wow... you guys give me something to shoot for....

I get 2500 feet on a really good day. Not too worried about it as going much further in an urban environment is not smart and technically illegal in the US. We have to keep the bird in sight and below 400 feet to stay legal. Away from people, property and wifi interference you will likely get further (thought I haven't tried it yet).

Have had my P3P for 45 days or so now and I'm always loosing signal around 2000-2200 Ft. I am hearing and reading a lot about others getting triple that range. Anyone encountering this and have a fix?

Using iPad Air 2 and flying in Florida coast.

Yesterday I had 2500. Metres, not feet. And it could easily have gone further I reckon. I still had full control and FPV feed bars showing. I only chickened out as I was flying near a major road.

Are you guys sure there aren't environmental factors at play here?

I can see the bird from 5000' away.

Generally no matter where I am the smallest distance I've gotten low signal is about 2,500', and the furthest I've tested it so far was 10,600' out.

Just using stock setup, 400' elevation, and using the antenna positioning recommended in the manual.

soon my FPVLR antennas will show up and I should be able to do 4x the distance :p

Generally no matter where I am the smallest distance I've gotten low signal is about 2,500', and the furthest I've tested it so far was 10,600' out.

Just using stock setup, 400' elevation, and using the antenna positioning recommended in the manual.

soon my FPVLR antennas will show up and I should be able to do 4x the distance :p

Could you post info on this thread about new antennas? Interested in knowing if they work. Also how long are they? Do they fold/collapse?

Could you post info on this thread about new antennas? Interested in knowing if they work. Also how long are they? Do they fold/collapse?

I placed my order on the 29th and should receive them Thursday. If you want, I'll make a new thread once I have tested them out and see how they go.

Some of you guys have Brass BalZ$ - I can't imagine flying 5000 ft away I get nervous at 1500 (just can't really see the bird that well)... I have been working on my comfort at distances - but wow... you guys give me something to shoot for....
Don't rush it. Enjoy at any distance. But I'll say, it's a blast flying out that dat with little worry!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic