P3P Randomly Switching out of GPS Mode

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the P3P. I've already had to return one due to a gimbal issue and now this one seems to be having a GPS issue. When I calibrate the compass sometimes it'll fail and other times it appears to be a success until I start moving the aircraft and it will repeatedly toggle in and out of ATTI mode.

Today it did this again, it appeared to be ready to fly with 19 satellites in a big empty park. However, when I picked up the aircraft and started to walk, it toggled back and forth repeatedly in and out of ATTI mode going from 19 satellites to 0. When I set it back down it then said safe to fly GPS and 19 satellites. After one more calibration It stopped doing this and about 5 mins into the flight it started drifting away and I realized the GPS had shut off. Luckily the aircraft was in close proximity with no obstacles. After landing I then restarted the aircraft, controller and app. I gave it one more calibration and had a great flight with no problems like my flight previously that day. My previous P3P never did this and neither did my Phantom 2. Feel like I can't trust it now and maybe something is loose or damaged. Any insight on what's going on with this? I also update the firmware within the last few weeks.

You seem to be doing far more compass calibrations than I would.
I'm not surprised it lost GPS when you picked it up.
You need do some more close range testing to see if it really is going in and out of GPS mode.
The nice controller lady should say 'ATTI Mode' if you lose sats.
Against a moving cloud background I do sometimes imagine it drifting when it's not.
See what the mapping display and speed indication shows on the app during the drift episodes.

Healthy Drones site would also show if it was dropping into ATTI.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
You can do this without flying again with file stored in your device.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
when I picked up the aircraft and started to walk, it toggled back and forth repeatedly in and out of ATTI mode going from 19 satellites to 0
How are you picking it up? If your hand is covering the top, it'll block the GPS signal.

Reactions: Bigs
Yes, it could be the hand or it might be a loose connection/plug for the GPS module. Or it could be a cracked GPS antenna.

The gps module is under the middle top of the upper shell, so basicly your blocking your gps signal.

However, when I picked up the aircraft and started to walk, it toggled back and forth repeatedly in and out of ATTI mode going from 19 satellites to 0. When I set it back down it then said safe to fly GPS and 19 satellites. Any insight on what's going on with this?
As has been noted, when you block the GPS signal with your hand, the expected behavior is for it to switch to ATTI mode.

You seem to be doing far more compass calibrations than I would.
I'm not surprised it lost GPS when you picked it up.
You need do some more close range testing to see if it really is going in and out of GPS mode.
The nice controller lady should say 'ATTI Mode' if you lose sats.
Against a moving cloud background I do sometimes imagine it drifting when it's not.
See what the mapping display and speed indication shows on the app during the drift episodes.

Healthy Drones site would also show if it was dropping into ATTI.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
You can do this without flying again with file stored in your device.
I was doing the calibration just as a trouble shooting method. Seems to help, not sure why. It did say ATTI Mode after it started drifting so it definitely lost the signal. My hands were completely off the sticks and I thought I was still pressing the throttle it was moving so far. I got freaked out and thought it was on verge of flying away and was relieved that it was fully responsive to the controls.

Ok, good to know about the hand blocking the signal, makes sense. I still think it's behaving strangely though. I have a good baseline to compare it to after just flying a different P3P unit and my old P2. Maybe it's just a loose wire since it seems to be able to have perfect signal most of the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers