P3P radio controler mod done.

Reaction score
Decided to start and hoped to finish OK the RC mod I wanted to do for a long time.
Many times when I fly, I like to maintain the same forward speed for a long time. DJI did a very good job with the GPS to maintain steady altitude but maintaining same horizontal speed (forward/backwards) is very demanding on the thumb, and speed varies a lot. So, here is the mod, install a pressure blade (like on many other RC as JR or Futaba) to overcome the spring loaded centering stick.
Since the left stick is for up/down and center means steady altitude, I have modified the right stick for forward/backwards control. Also I found out why the RC felt a bit loose on the right side, the mounting stem was broken (I guess from the factory since it felt loose from day 1).
Upon opening the RC, I was not surprised at how cheap is made inside. Sloppy installation, pinched wires between cards, loose antenna cables, very cheap gimbals without any adjustments for centering stick, soft plastic (but we already know that). At the end I was able to finish the task OK, all functioning good, right stick maintaining position unassisted and along the way fixing the other problems. Here are a few pictures.

20160222_213353.jpg
20160222_213825.jpg
20160222_213837.jpg
20160222_222344.jpg
20160222_222356.jpg
20160222_224624.jpg
20160223_002447.jpg
20160223_013108.jpg

Hi There
Some good pics, but sorry I can't see where the modification is located...?
Waylander

Decided to start and hoped to finish OK the RC mod I wanted to do for a long time.
Many times when I fly, I like to maintain the same forward speed for a long time. DJI did a very good job with the GPS to maintain steady altitude but maintaining same horizontal speed (forward/backwards) is very demanding on the thumb, and speed varies a lot. So, here is the mod, install a pressure blade (like on many other RC as JR or Futaba) to overcome the spring loaded centering stick.
Since the left stick is for up/down and center means steady altitude, I have modified the right stick for forward/backwards control. Also I found out why the RC felt a bit loose on the right side, the mounting stem was broken (I guess from the factory since it felt loose from day 1).
Upon opening the RC, I was not surprised at how cheap is made inside. Sloppy installation, pinched wires between cards, loose antenna cables, very cheap gimbals without any adjustments for centering stick, soft plastic (but we already know that). At the end I was able to finish the task OK, all functioning good, right stick maintaining position unassisted and along the way fixing the other problems. Here are a few pictures.

That sounds very good. I've often wished to be able to adjust speed and have it remain there. Can you give us some details on how the mod was performed? Does your P3P stop and hover when you release the stick, or must you take some action to make that happen?

I would recommend to use the Autoflight-app instead. This app includes cruise-mode that does exactly the same. You also can decide where to focus on, meaning that the P3 maintains the flight-course while yawing and tilting in order to focus to your selected object. Brilliant!

Hi There
Some good pics, but sorry I can't see where the modification is located...?
Waylander

Second to the last photo. Looks like a thin strip of metal. My guess is that if mounted/adjusted properly, it would hold the joystick position wherever you place it. Can you easily find the neutral joystick position?

Second to the last photo. Looks like a thin strip of metal. My guess is that if mounted/adjusted properly, it would hold the joystick position wherever you place it. Can you easily find the neutral joystick position?
Have left the springs in place, the center is felt easily.

I would recommend to use the Autoflight-app instead. This app includes cruise-mode that does exactly the same. You also can decide where to focus on, meaning that the P3 maintains the flight-course while yawing and tilting in order to focus to your selected object. Brilliant!
Will check it out. I like to "fly" and not rely on apps a lot coming from the model planes world...

Reactions: Azmopic
Nice!

Slightly off topic: How did you repair your broken screw post? I had all four of my posts either cracked or broken off similar to yours. Controller Cracked Threaded Holes!!!
I used same size, longer screws. The original screws are short, barely digging 3 threads into the post. Just clean and tap the hole before screwing the new screw in.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl