P3P prop spanner

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new member and have just received my new P3P, and see I have the new type motors that are flush on top. Does anyone know if there is a prop spanner available yet, as I have the old type spanner for the raised motor.

Are you referring to a prop wrench? If so, your Phantom should have came with this one:

Clamp.png

Hi, I am a new member and have just received my new P3P, and see I have the new type motors that are flush on top. Does anyone know if there is a prop spanner available yet, as I have the old type spanner for the raised motor.
And it's not for tightening props which could weaken the nylon threads.
It's for undoing tight props after a crash.

Thanks guys for the quick response, I haven't see it yet as it was delivered to my Dads address in the UK and he just sent some quick pics to confirm its all there. I live in a country with very expensive duty charges for imported goods so always have things sent to my parents and collect them when I visit, and I won't be getting my hands on it until Feb/March.
The reason I wondered about a prop spanner is that I have read that under certain conditions when reducing power the props can overrun and come off, or is it a myth?

The reason I wondered about a prop spanner is that I have read that under certain conditions when reducing power the props can overrun and come off, or is it a myth?
I've never heard of this happening. Got a link?

I didn't get ones of these tools with my new P3P and never saw this before. I've been using a large pliers to hold the motor while I take off a tight prop. Is this supposed to have come in my P3P box?

I've been using a large pliers to hold the motor while I take off a tight prop.
If you need a tool to remove your props, it's likely that you're installing them too tightly. After spinning on your props and they come to a stop, you only need to tighten the prop about 1/4 of a full turn.

Is this supposed to have come in my P3P box?
Yes. When I got my P3S, it was in a small envelope.

Perhaps I am putting them on too snug. I'll check that out next flight. Thanks for the info on the tool. I will check with my dealer.

Keep in mind that the prop hubs are made of plastic. If you crank on them too much, you might crack the hub and/or strip the threads. If either of those things occur, the prop could fly off mid-flight.

I didn't get ones of these tools with my new P3P and never saw this before. I've been using a large pliers to hold the motor while I take off a tight prop. Is this supposed to have come in my P3P box?
Yes that prop wrench comes with the P3 but you don't need to use it. Hand tightening is good enough.

Blimey, you're joking right?

(Search your box. - you will have either the old or new style wrench!)

It's not a myth entirely, the P3 can brake the motors quite aggressively so consequently the P3 props have composite hubs which grip the shaft more securely than P2 props. Provided they are installed correctly...
Some P2s would throw a prop if the motor was less than perfect and might momentarily stick.

The first batches of P3P's didn't come with the wrench, all later shipments came with it. I also didn't get the wrench but have not needed it so far.

Really? I have always turned at least half a turn, if this is true I have been over tightening for 6 months
I use mine too. Always have and always will. I like using it because it grips the motors better than my fingers and I give it about a quarter turn after the props stop spinning on.

I've never heard of this happening. Got a link?
I don't have a link but I read about it on the DJI forum, I guess I have a prop tool in the box, as I said I haven't got my hands on it yet as its at my parents in another country.

The day I need the tool to take the prop off will be the day that prop goes in the bin!

Not joking if you need more torque than you can get with you fingers (assuming no arthritis or similar) you may have compromised the plastic threads. Given the props are so cheap and the consequences of loosing a prop are likely final I'd chuck in away.

Reactions: ebf and aka1ceman
The day I need the tool to take the prop off will be the day that prop goes in the bin!

Not joking if you need more torque than you can get with you fingers (assuming no arthritis or similar) you may have compromised the plastic threads. Given the props are so cheap and the consequences of loosing a prop are likely final I'd chuck in away.

Agreed!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20