P3P Playback?

Reaction score
I just started flying and recording with my P3P. I shoot in 4k. I dl the files from the micro and play them on a PC. The videos play very "skippy"/slow. Almost not playing at all. Also, they are very very washed out. I tried playing in VLC, QuickTime, Windows, and get the same results.

These are my settings: in GO
Image Format: J & R
Image size: 16:9
White Balance: auto
Video Size: 4k, 30, 3840X2160
Style: Standard
Color: None
Format: MOV
NTSC

The video saved on the iPhone play fine. They are a little washed out but tolerable. Not sure I have enough info for you tell the problem. What am I missing?

Thank,
Dave

...yes, it was a bright day (no filter) which might account for it being washed out on the IPhone. This is what it looked like:

Again, barely plays on PC and is really washed out.

...yes, it was a bright day (no filter) which might account for it being washed out on the IPhone. This is what it looked like:

Again, barely plays on PC and is really washed out.
Upload it to YouTube and play it back from there. Your PC video card may not be able to handle 4K. The YouTube playback will let you choose the resolution of the playback, up to the capabilty of your monitor.

I had also issue with VLC to play 4k, I used it for many years with zero problem but maybe some codec update is needed. Same with Windows Media Player.
I currently use Home · MPC-HC which is a very light player but work well.
PS: I am recording in MP4.

I wonder if MOV is the problem for me? I tried it in QuickTime to see if that would help and it did not.

I wonder if MOV is the problem for me? I tried it in QuickTime to see if that would help and it did not.
I din't have see real difference between MP4 and MOV when using VLC. Only when I used a lighter player it worked smoothly. Probably matter of PC performance.

Upload it to YouTube and play it back from there. Your PC video card may not be able to handle 4K. The YouTube playback will let you choose the resolution of the playback, up to the capabilty of your monitor.
I do the same but more because of storage capacity required with 4k if you want to archive all videos.

I do the same but more because of storage capacity required with 4k if you want to archive all videos.
It is great for a Cloud archive for sharing, in case you lose the original, but hard drive storage is cheap, and if you make any change to your uploaded 4K video, even adding audio, with the YouTube editor, it permanently converts everything to 1080p, unless you first specify make a copy and edit it.

Did a run tonight in 1080. Plays nice and smooth, so the problem was probably my PC.

Video is still really washed out though. Didn't change shutter speeds at all. Are we needing to use filters with this camera? Like an ND 4 or 8?

Dave

I just started flying and recording with my P3P. I shoot in 4k. I dl the files from the micro and play them on a PC. The videos play very "skippy"/slow. Almost not playing at all. Also, they are very very washed out. I tried playing in VLC, QuickTime, Windows, and get the same results.

These are my settings: in GO
Image Format: J & R
Image size: 16:9
White Balance: auto
Video Size: 4k, 30, 3840X2160
Style: Standard
Color: None
Format: MOV
NTSC

The video saved on the iPhone play fine. They are a little washed out but tolerable. Not sure I have enough info for you tell the problem. What am I missing?

Thank,
Dave
What are the specs on the computer you are playing them back on and are you using an ND filter when you are recording?

No ND filter when I recorded. I suspect the PC I'm using can't handle the 4k. I have a Mac and a powerful PC back at the office.

I'm going to get a filter and/or work on the manual adjustments.

Thanks for all the advice, it's a learning process.

No ND filter when I recorded. I suspect the PC I'm using can't handle the 4k. I have a Mac and a powerful PC back at the office.

It is surely that-- I have back up many times and started over-- Stay after it:)

Try other player, that worked for me. I didn't tried to post-process with this computer so can't tell you about that.
ND filter is really helping a lot and ND4, ND8, ND16 & ND32 are really needed to cover all light cases.

It is great for a Cloud archive for sharing, in case you lose the original, but hard drive storage is cheap, and if you make any change to your uploaded 4K video, even adding audio, with the YouTube editor, it permanently converts everything to 1080p, unless you first specify make a copy and edit it.
Yes, I even got a 720p as best at the end of a long compilation of videos, text and pictures. The editor is in any case very basic.

Did a run tonight in 1080. Plays nice and smooth, so the problem was probably my PC.

Video is still really washed out though. Didn't change shutter speeds at all. Are we needing to use filters with this camera? Like an ND 4 or 8?

Dave
ND filters are not used to change the exposure of video. Exposure has to be set using either "auto" or "manually" by controlling the ISO and the shutter speed. The aperture is fixed. The only purpose of ND filters with video is to be able to use a lower shutter speed, once you have maxed out lowering ISO to 100, in broad daylight, to achieve a cinematic look at a shutter speed of 1/2x the frames per second. Otherwise, the shutter speed in bright sun would still be 1/1000 of a second or higher at ISO 100. The total exposure of light falling on the sensor should still be the same under both scenarios. One just has a slower shutter speed by reducing the incoming light by 3 to 5 stops with an ND filter. Personally, I often take still frames out of the 4K video, so I want that shutter speed as fast as possible so my still frames are sharp, and aren't soft and blurry, but the blurriness gives the video that cinematic look, if that is what you are going for.

Last edited:

Thank,
Dave
Just check that you have not dialed in a positive '+' value for the EV setting. This can be accessed by using the little dial with your right hand on the RC. You can roll this wheel to change settings. You can also 'click' it in to toggle between various settings, depending on what mode you are in.

If the EV setting is a positive value ie: +0.7, then it will add this extra amount of exposure to any setting you make. I personally always fly with a slight underexposure dialed in ie: -0.3 EV.

And yes, as other have mentioned, you do need a reasonably well speced computer to replay 4K video smoothly.

Just check that you have not dialed in a positive '+' value for the EV setting. This can be accessed by using the little dial with your right hand on the RC. You can roll this wheel to change settings. You can also 'click' it in to toggle between various settings, depending on what mode you are in.

If the EV setting is a positive value ie: +0.7, then it will add this extra amount of exposure to any setting you make. I personally always fly with a slight underexposure dialed in ie: -0.3 EV.

And yes, as other have mentioned, you do need a reasonably well speced computer to replay 4K video smoothly.
Good point. The EV value is displayed at the top of the screen, along with the shutterspeed and ISO. If it is not displaying an EV value of "0.0", make sure it is intentional! You have likely inadvertently rotated the right exposure dial to an overexposure of +x.x EV, and it will remember that setting until you change it. Get it back to zero and start from there. You can also change it on the fly during recording, if the Auto exposure is too light or too dark, based upon the totality of the scene. Any sun glare in the frame will create silhouettes of your foreground.

I have a negative EV value. Mine is -2.0. I can't change it though.
Check to see if your Camera Settings (the multiline area below the video record button) shows M or A for Manual or Automatic. Then try playing with the sliders that pop up on the left, and playing with the right transmitter slider, including pressing on it, in between rolling it, to learn how all these controls affect the exposure. :cool: Also switch between taking still frames and video, as some of the settings carry over. When in the Camera mode, press and hold the shutter release to bring up the various still frame shooting options, and cycle through all of them to see what they do. Happy exploring!

When I'm in Auto I can only change the EV. When in in Manual, I can change shutter and ISO but can't change EV. It stays at -2.0.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20