P3P or Yuneec TYPHOON Q500+ ??

Reaction score
So, I ordered a Phantom 3 Pro and it will finally arrive Monday after waiting 2 weeks for UPS. I am a newbie and only ordered the P3P because of the popularity and the good reviews.

Since placing the order I have done considerable more research. It seems like you get more for your money with the Yuneec Typhon Q500+ and now with this Geo fencing issues I am considering sending this right back and exchanging for the Yuneec.

Any advise from people that either have owned both or are familiar with the Yuneecs I would really appreciate it.

I posted here instead of Yuneec forum because I want to hear from other Phantom owners.

Thanks!

Drone girl owns both & has done a review on her youtube channel here if that helps any.

:EDIT: This is the P3 advanced, but the pro is exactly the same apart from the 4k camera.

Reactions: Steve J Miller
I think it really depends on what you plan to use the drone for and how much flexibility you desire. Also, I don't know what "geofencing" issues you are concerned about, the now in beta DJI GEO system should actually improve pilot access to areas that are normally a problem.

Some considerations:
  • You won't get the same range from the Yuneec
  • The Yuneec RC has the FPV display built-in, so you're stuck with that
  • From what I've read/seen on videos, the Yuneec has much slower flight characteristics
  • The Yuneec has larger props and produces a deeper sound... which is cool compared to the P3 swarm of angry hornets
  • The Yuneec is HUGE
  • There's no Litchi or 3rd party apps for the Yuneec AFAIK that can give you the same extreme buffet of capabilities and options
I was talking with and watching a guy on his first flight with a Yuneec - he's been flying a P2 for some time and wanted to try something different... He plans on using the Yuneec for wedding photography/video - I think it might be better suited for this type of work because it seemed to be much quieter and more less "in your face" than the P2/P3... depends on how you use it though.

I think it really depends on what you plan to use the drone for and how much flexibility you desire. Also, I don't know what "geofencing" issues you are concerned about, the now in beta DJI GEO system should actually improve pilot access to areas that are normally a problem.

Some considerations:
  • You won't get the same range from the Yuneec
  • The Yuneec RC has the FPV display built-in, so you're stuck with that
  • From what I've read/seen on videos, the Yuneec has much slower flight characteristics
  • The Yuneec has larger props and produces a deeper sound... which is cool compared to the P3 swarm of angry hornets
  • The Yuneec is HUGE
  • There's no Litchi or 3rd party apps for the Yuneec AFAIK that can give you the same extreme buffet of capabilities and options
I was talking with and watching a guy on his first flight with a Yuneec - he's been flying a P2 for some time and wanted to try something different... He plans on using the Yuneec for wedding photography/video - I think it might be better suited for this type of work because it seemed to be much quieter and more less "in your face" than the P2/P3... depends on how you use it though.

Thanks - this is what I was hoping for, the main differences between the two.

In regards to the Geo fencing, I do not know how it will affect me personally I just figured any automatic restrictions could pose problematic especially if it stops the drone from working in areas that are really not a threat.

I see people commenting that this feature "should actually improve pilot access to areas that are normally a problem"

I am confused by this statement as currently, from what I understand these p3p's currently have unfeathered access to these areas, so how could this firmware improve on this?

Thanks again!

I would avoid the q500+ if only because of the inferior camera. The Q500 is awesome but yuneec is coming out with something really great shortly. Looks to be a mid size tornado with retractable landing gear and full 360 gimbal, 4k camera. If the q500 is for you, only get the 4k version. The P3 and the phantom are different. I have both. I need and prefer the way the P3 flies as well as the app. But the Q is an amazing value and a great choice too.

Last edited:
P3P= 35mph
Q500= 17mph

P3P = 2+ mile video connection
Q500= 1/2 mile video connection

I own both and I'm trying to sell my Q500.

The Q500 is a lot quieter, good for wedding captures.

Q500 already has GEO fencing.

Last edited:
I would avoid the q500+ if only because of the inferior camera. The Q500 is awesome but yuneec is coming out with something really great shortly. Looks to be a mid size tornado with retractable landing gear and full 360 gimbal, 4k camera. If the q500 is for you, only get the 4k version. The P3 and the phantom are different. I have both. I need and prefer the way the P3 flies as well as the app. But the Q is an amazing value and a great choice too.
I'm in the market for a quad and have been looking at these two (and waiting for info on the GoPro Karma) but I saw the trailer released yesterday for the new Yuneec and know that they will be getting the new Qualcomm chip so I'm interested in that.

I am confused by this statement as currently, from what I understand these p3p's currently have unfeathered access to these areas, so how could this firmware improve on this?

Actually, for any NFZ in the P3 firmware (pre GEO) you can't even start the engines if you are within the area... getting approval to fly within an NFZ (pre GEO) is almost impossible so the DJI firmware has 100% control.

With GEO, you'll be able to submit a request and get access almost immediately because it puts conrol and responsibility back into the hands of the pilot where it should be (as long as the pilot acts responsibly)... though some NFZ's can't be violated regardless (i.e. White House, Washington DC, etc...)...

DJI Launches Public Beta of New Geofencing System

So, I ordered a Phantom 3 Pro and it will finally arrive Monday after waiting 2 weeks for UPS. I am a newbie and only ordered the P3P because of the popularity and the good reviews.

Since placing the order I have done considerable more research. It seems like you get more for your money with the Yuneec Typhon Q500+ and now with this Geo fencing issues I am considering sending this right back and exchanging for the Yuneec.

Any advise from people that either have owned both or are familiar with the Yuneecs I would really appreciate it.

I posted here instead of Yuneec forum because I want to hear from other Phantom owners.

Thanks!

A. On the Yuneec I have noticed the AWB is WAY off in videos! It is a great aircraft, but the white balance is dreadful from what I have seen.

B. Every manufacturer will probably have Geofencing. In fact that is what they should have done instead of making every hobby flyer register. Now there will be both.

It seems like you get more for your money with the Yuneec Typhon Q500+ ... Thanks - this is what I was hoping for, the main differences between the two.
You don't get more performance with the Q500.
There are lots of threads here comparing the two.
Use the search function to find them.
I am confused by this statement as currently, from what I understand these p3p's currently have unfeathered access to these areas, so how could this firmware improve on this?!
The P3 has always had geofencing and lots of areas are off limits.
As is usual in online forums, there's a lot of misunderstanding around the coming GEO feature.

Reactions: BigAl07
Can you post a link to the trailer for the new yuneec?
Here's some background on the technology Yuneec will be releasing this year. I'm just curious of the type of WiFi the Qualcomm solution is going to use. It says 802.11N, implying it's the same ole technology that everyone else is using (except DJI) which has TCP/IP handshaking. TCP/IP reduces distance and increases latency, it was never meant to be used as a video broadcast technology like Lightbridge. If Qualcomm doesn't include some kind of "lightbridge-like" capability to maximize distance, this technology won't be competitive to Lightbridge. And DJI's new Lightbridge 2 supports 1080P links (instead of the Lightbridge 1 at 720p). This Qualcomm brief mentions 720 downlinks, so it appears to already be noncompetitive, from a video-link resolution point of view. I would assume the next Phantom and Inspire models in 2016 will include LB2.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik