P3P on an airplane

Reaction score
Does anybody know or experienced taking a quad copter like the P3P on airplane overseas. We are going to Ireland in a few weeks and would like use it around some of the sites if allowed by the country's laws. Could it be confiscated by authorities?

Shouldn't be any problem. The Phantom can go in hold luggage if you have a hard case for it, or as hand luggage if you have a back pack. Whichever method you choose, the batteries should go in hand luggage......preferably discharged below 50%, and for absolute security use a liposafe bag, although it's not essential.
I recently took mine to Africa, and had no problems going through airport scanners, although they did get me to unpack the batteries to show them.

Sounds good for Africa trip someday hopefully soon and thanks for the response. Anybody else have any problems with P3P on a plane?

I brought mine home from USA > UK with no issues carrying it as hand luggage, alot of questions from the public though! - Adam

I took my P2V on as hand luggage with extra props/two batteries. I had no problems at all. I flew from the UK into Miami then on to the Caribbean.
I only got asked to open my phantom case once in Miami on our return flight. All he done was swab my case & everything that was in there, lovely guy... He was more interested in the phantom, how it works & how good are they.
My phantom was in a hard case which fitted in the overheads lockers.

Shouldn't be any problem. The Phantom can go in hold luggage if you have a hard case for it, or as hand luggage if you have a back pack. Whichever method you choose, the batteries should go in hand luggage......preferably discharged below 50%, and for absolute security use a liposafe bag, although it's not essential.
I recently took mine to Africa, and had no problems going through airport scanners, although they did get me to unpack the batteries to show them.
Where in Africa did you take it? I'm interested in doing the same but have read about African countries cutting down on it

Apparently it's become a problem in Kenya because of tourists filming their parks. I work for a nonprofit and would love to bring mine to Kenya to show some of the work we've done in the schools and local communities to donors, but I'm scared it won't get out of the airport.

I have taken mine to Oregon, San Francisco and Sydney Australia. No problems as a carry on. Only had one security check point that wanted to swab it for explosives. The only other issue I can advise you on is if you are in group 4 or 5 boarding and the plane is full, the staff will be asking for people to check in their bags. It's not a good idea for 2 reasons. One is because of the battery which is LiPo and that's not good in the cargo hold. The second from a friend of mine who is a pilot and said he "would never check a bag in"... ever..

So carry on. And literally .. carry on.. don't check in.

Recreational flying in Ireland is not a problem, you will have no problems with bringing it in. You will need a permit from the IAA for commercial or any flights over/in settlement areas.

Thanks for all the responses nice to know other countries and airlines don't mind having someone bring a nonstandard device on vacation.

Reykjavik, Iceland: no problem. Lyon, France: no problem. Both as cabin luggage in backpack. Batteries less than 50% in Lipo-safe bag. Officials at the airport were very interested in seeing a reel drone! Wanted to know everything about it. Nice discussions.

Old thread but since it was resurrected, I recently flew with my P3 as a carry-on. No questions or anything, when I took it out of the bag people were not hesitant to comment or ask question about it. I've found that people are fascinated by it rather than scared or nervous.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1